Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

No Hardships For Unionized Striking Snivel Serpent Diplomats

Started by Anonymous, July 31, 2013, 08:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Greedy, overpaid, lazy, entitled unionized snivel serpents sticking it to working Canadian taxpayers...AGAIN!! :x
QuoteOTTAWA - Visa processing and diplomatic staff won't feel any financial pinch during their partial strike in Canada and abroad.

The Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers (PAFSO) will give 100% strike pay to all its members now off the job at 15 visa processing centres around the world and also refusing to help federal ministers with international travel.

"We are quite prepared to take this deep into the fall if necessary," PAFSO president Tim Edwards said.

With a partial strike, the union will deplete its strike pay fund more slowly than during a full stoppage.

Meanwhile, strikers with an average yearly salary of $86,000 can still get thousands of dollars in other help from taxpayers, like housing allowances or kids' educational expense coverage.

The latest work stoppage is another step in the long-running campaign by embassy and consulate staff for "equal pay" with others doing comparable work.

Edwards said what the strikers "will not stand for is looking at somebody working in the neighbouring office making up to $14,000 more than them."

The union predicts Canada's economy will suffer because tourist, student and other visas won't be processed.

"We're talking about a potential impact ... maybe over $2 billion," Edwards said.

The government insists other employees and temp workers are picking up the slack in visa processing.

PAFSO wants the dispute settled by binding arbitration, but the feds won't accept comparing foreign service officers' work to others.

"These jobs are substantively different from public service lawyers, economists or commerce officers," said a spokesman for Treasury Board President Tony Clement.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2013/07/20130729-151852.html">http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/po ... 51852.html">http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2013/07/20130729-151852.html

Anonymous

Pampered, selfish lazy union assholes living extragant lifestyles on the dime of working Canadians.
QuoteSome of Canada's coziest bureaucrats are on strike right now, claiming they are underpaid and hard done to by the Canadian government.

Hardly.

The strike by foreign service workers will have a real impact on immigrants, business travellers to Canada and anyone who needs visas to enter the country.

This can mean everything from lost business deals to relatives missing weddings or even tourists taking their vacation dollars elsewhere.

According to their last contract, which expired in June 2011, the starting salary for an entry-level worker is $58,055, while the top wage is $112,512. Not enough says the union, the Professional Association of Foreign Service Workers.

The union claims their members earn between $3,000 and $14,000 less than comparable jobs done by other bureaucrats.

If we're going to compare people's wages, though, what about the poor saps who have to pay for these cushy government jobs.

According to Statistics Canada, the average Canadian working in May of this year earned $915 per week or $47,580 per year.

Already the entry level foreign service worker earns 22% more than the people who pay their salary but as they say on those TV infomercials - wait, there's more.

The average salary of the folks on strike is actually $86,000 per year, or pretty close to double what the average Canadian makes.

Based on those metrics, it doesn't seem like these people are underpaid at all.

Then there are the perks the foreign service workers get.

The union gets touchy about calling them perks, but that's what the 268-page Foreign Service Directives agreement essentially amounts to.

From personal loans or mortgages at preferred interest rates to private schools and subsidized dry cleaning or vacations, we pay plenty above and beyond the paycheques these bureaucrats take home.

To be fair some of this is expected. If Canada sends people overseas to represent the country, they should be well compensated and not be out of pocket for moving expenses.

But do we really need to pay to ship their personal cars overseas?

We do now. We'll also ship one home if they happen to buy a luxury vehicle at a cut-rate price during their overseas posting.

We, as taxpayers, also foot personal loans for these poor, put-upon workers. I'm not sure why they need the loans. The aforementioned 268-page book detailing what taxpayers cover when posting someone overseas seems to cover every conceivable item.

Yet, just in case, we will offer up personal loans worth just shy of $40,000.

We'll pay any fees associated with breaking or obtaining a first or second mortgage when it is a work-related move, and if the interest rate is higher in their new location, we, the taxpayer, will pay the difference.

We even pay for some children of our diplomatic corps to attend private school in Ottawa. Government figures put the total at $1.2 million per year. How does that work?

These guys claim they are on strike because they are underpaid.

Having read their contract, I'm wondering how they got such a rich deal in the first place.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2013/07/20130731-074852.html">http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/st ... 74852.html">http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2013/07/20130731-074852.html

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"Pampered, selfish lazy union assholes living extragant lifestyles on the dime of working Canadians.
QuoteSome of Canada's coziest bureaucrats are on strike right now, claiming they are underpaid and hard done to by the Canadian government.

Hardly.

The strike by foreign service workers will have a real impact on immigrants, business travellers to Canada and anyone who needs visas to enter the country.

This can mean everything from lost business deals to relatives missing weddings or even tourists taking their vacation dollars elsewhere.

According to their last contract, which expired in June 2011, the starting salary for an entry-level worker is $58,055, while the top wage is $112,512. Not enough says the union, the Professional Association of Foreign Service Workers.

The union claims their members earn between $3,000 and $14,000 less than comparable jobs done by other bureaucrats.

If we're going to compare people's wages, though, what about the poor saps who have to pay for these cushy government jobs.

According to Statistics Canada, the average Canadian working in May of this year earned $915 per week or $47,580 per year.

Already the entry level foreign service worker earns 22% more than the people who pay their salary but as they say on those TV infomercials - wait, there's more.

The average salary of the folks on strike is actually $86,000 per year, or pretty close to double what the average Canadian makes.

Based on those metrics, it doesn't seem like these people are underpaid at all.

Then there are the perks the foreign service workers get.

The union gets touchy about calling them perks, but that's what the 268-page Foreign Service Directives agreement essentially amounts to.

From personal loans or mortgages at preferred interest rates to private schools and subsidized dry cleaning or vacations, we pay plenty above and beyond the paycheques these bureaucrats take home.

To be fair some of this is expected. If Canada sends people overseas to represent the country, they should be well compensated and not be out of pocket for moving expenses.

But do we really need to pay to ship their personal cars overseas?

We do now. We'll also ship one home if they happen to buy a luxury vehicle at a cut-rate price during their overseas posting.

We, as taxpayers, also foot personal loans for these poor, put-upon workers. I'm not sure why they need the loans. The aforementioned 268-page book detailing what taxpayers cover when posting someone overseas seems to cover every conceivable item.

Yet, just in case, we will offer up personal loans worth just shy of $40,000.

We'll pay any fees associated with breaking or obtaining a first or second mortgage when it is a work-related move, and if the interest rate is higher in their new location, we, the taxpayer, will pay the difference.

We even pay for some children of our diplomatic corps to attend private school in Ottawa. Government figures put the total at $1.2 million per year. How does that work?

These guys claim they are on strike because they are underpaid.

Having read their contract, I'm wondering how they got such a rich deal in the first place.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2013/07/20130731-074852.html">http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/st ... 74852.html">http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2013/07/20130731-074852.html

Not all unionized public servants receive pay and perks like they do Shen Li..

I know if we buy a luxury car overseas my employer will not pay the shipping charges.

jaysings

oh no, too much information of your topic, i need time to read over it

Anonymous

Quote from: "jaysings"oh no, too much information of your topic, i need time to read over it

Allow me to break it down for you then. Unionized diplomatic staff are on a partial strike. The public service should not be allowed to form a collective unit in the first place, but that is a separate issue. They receive wages well above the national average. They receive benefits almost unheard of in the private sector. They want more of both. Canada like the rest of the Western world is not that strong and we have a deficit. We will pay for any new costs the diplomatic staff receives.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "jaysings"oh no, too much information of your topic, i need time to read over it

Allow me to break it down for you then. Unionized diplomatic staff are on a partial strike. The public service should not be allowed to form a collective unit in the first place, but that is a separate issue. They receive wages well above the national average. They receive benefits almost unheard of in the private sector. They want more of both. Canada like the rest of the Western world is not that strong and we have a deficit. We will pay for any new costs the diplomatic staff receives.

If the occutards weren't a hypocritical sideshow and actually gave a shit about working people they would be protesting against these unionized pricks. :x

Anonymous

:o

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Franklin Delano Roosevelt was right about one thing...collective bargaining has no place in public service.

Odinson

I remember when my sister was working for a finnish diplomatic family in Paris.

They had a full one storey apartment near the centre. It was in the top floor.

Government vehicles with drivers if needed. Diplomatic plates so that they can park wherever they want for free.

Free dinners.

Flexible hours.

The man was an investor and a millionaire.

Big salaries.

They had all kinds of other luxuries aswell which I don´t remember.

A lot of travelling abroad in governments expense.

They have the least cause to complain. Spoiled dickheads in my opinion.

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Franklin Delano Roosevelt was right about one thing...collective bargaining has no place in public service.

George Meany head of the AFL-CIO expressed the same sentiment in an article in New York magazine in 1955.

"The main function of American trade unions is collective bargaining. It is impossible to bargain collectively with the government. Unions, as well as employers, would vastly prefer to have even Government regulation of labor-management relations reduced to a minimum consistent with the protection of the public welfare..."
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Renee

If the occutards weren't a hypocritical sideshow and actually gave a shit about working people they would be protesting against these unionized pricks. :x

"Occutards"  :lol:  :lol:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"I remember when my sister was working for a finnish diplomatic family in Paris.

Government vehicles with drivers if needed. Diplomatic plates so that they can park wherever they want for free.

Free dinners.

Flexible hours.

Big salaries.

The nerve of these pampered assholes living like 1 percenters on our money and expecting more. Contract it all out and they will quickly figure out what they do is NOT some special skill few people can do.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

George Meany head of the AFL-CIO expressed the same sentiment in an article in New York magazine in 1955.

"The main function of American trade unions is collective bargaining. It is impossible to bargain collectively with the government. Unions, as well as employers, would vastly prefer to have even Government regulation of labor-management relations reduced to a minimum consistent with the protection of the public welfare..."

Ms. Renee, I work in an administrative job for the provincial government..

I am also a unionized employee..

My wages and benefits are not out of line with the private sector at all..

In fact, one of my girlfriends that is in management for an oilfield manufacturer has told I could make more working at her company..

What I like best about my job is the flexibility it allows me, so I can be with my family when they need me..

I do agree that sometimes public unions do not always place the interests of the public ahead of their own.

Anonymous

When management and labour are in contract talks they are in a room sitting across a table from one another. When it is the public sector you have both parties plus the taxpayer sitting outside the room looking in through a window. They are seen, but cannot be heard. :?

Odinson

Quote from: "Odinson"I remember when my sister was working for a finnish diplomatic family in Paris.

Free dinners.

Flexible hours.

Big salaries.

The nerve of these pampered assholes living like 1 percenters on our money and expecting more. Contract it all out and they will quickly figure out what they do is NOT some special skill few people can do.

I knew you would understand.