Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Los Angeles painting city streets white in bid to combat climate change

Started by cc, April 10, 2018, 04:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

California officials are hoping their latest attempt to stem the rising tides of climate change leads to a more socially conscious -- and cooler -- summer.

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/us/2018/04/10/los-angeles-painting-city-streets-white-in-bid-to-combat-climate-change/_jcr_content/par/featured_image/media-0.img.jpg/931/524/1523372114843.jpg?ve=1&tl=1">

Officials in Los Angeles have been painting streets white to reduce the effect of urban "heat islands" and combat the effects of climate change.

The LA Street Services began rolling out the project last May, which preliminary testing shows has reduced the temperature of roadways by up to 10 degrees. The project involves applying a light gray coating of the product CoolSeal, made by the company GuardTop.

While each coasting could can last up to seven years, they are also pricey, with the estimated cost of $40,000 per mile, the L.A. Daily News reported.

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/us/2018/04/10/los-angeles-painting-city-streets-white-in-bid-to-combat-climate-change/_jcr_content/article-text/article-par-9/inline_spotlight_ima/image.img.jpg/612/344/1523372302173.jpg?ve=1&tl=1">

[OK, Paint streets white to reflect heat - I get that. So now tell me where the reflected heat goes?   :confused1:  ]
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"California officials are hoping their latest attempt to stem the rising tides of climate change leads to a more socially conscious -- and cooler -- summer.

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/us/2018/04/10/los-angeles-painting-city-streets-white-in-bid-to-combat-climate-change/_jcr_content/par/featured_image/media-0.img.jpg/931/524/1523372114843.jpg?ve=1&tl=1">

Officials in Los Angeles have been painting streets white to reduce the effect of urban "heat islands" and combat the effects of climate change.

The LA Street Services began rolling out the project last May, which preliminary testing shows has reduced the temperature of roadways by up to 10 degrees. The project involves applying a light gray coating of the product CoolSeal, made by the company GuardTop.

[OK, L.A. paints streets white to reflect heat - so now tell me where the reflected heat goes?   :confused1:  ]

It's less pain than a carbon tax.

cc

Maybe. But how does it do any more good than none?

Where does the reflected heat go other than into the surrounding air .. which is what they are trying to cool from streets heating?

From a physics perspective ... yes hot streets heat surrounding air. How does cooling streets by reflecting heat into surrounding air cool surrounding air?

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Maybe. But how does it do any more good than none?

Where does the reflected heat go other than into the surrounding air .. which is what they are trying to cool from streets heating?

I don't know cc..

Some of the ways politicians fight climate change make no sense.

cc

Maybe they use magic?

Short of defeating simple physics with magic,  sure sounds like another "climate"  money scam to me

And the irony is that Cali and LA are broke ... now going deeper in dept at US$ 40,000 / mile

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Maybe they use magic?

Short of defeating simple physics with magic,  sure sounds like another "climate"  money scam to me

And the irony is that Cali and LA are broke

It is.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"California officials are hoping their latest attempt to stem the rising tides of climate change leads to a more socially conscious -- and cooler -- summer.

While each coasting could can last up to seven years, they are also pricey, with the estimated cost of $40,000 per mile, the L.A. Daily News reported.

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/us/2018/04/10/los-angeles-painting-city-streets-white-in-bid-to-combat-climate-change/_jcr_content/article-text/article-par-9/inline_spotlight_ima/image.img.jpg/612/344/1523372302173.jpg?ve=1&tl=1">

[OK, Paint streets white to reflect heat - I get that. So now tell me where the reflected heat goes?   :confused1:  ]

What a waste of money.

Wazzzup

California has the highest poverty level of any state.  It is tied for the 4th highest state taxes.  It is 9th highest in sales taxes.  it has a debt of over 400 billion dollars. the highest of any state.

Democrats have a supermajority in both legislatures and ultra liberal Jerry Brown is the governor

-----

So you have a state swamped with debt, that has some of the highest taxes and some of the worst poverty trying to figure out more ways to spend money (spending money is fun, wheee!)

California is going to crash and burn.  Its just a question of how long will it take.

Bricktop

Berry Sweet

Bricktop

Heat will be reflected back into the atmosphere, melting aeroplanes.

cc

Berry Sweet

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Stop putting ashfelt and concrete everywhere.

Take it all out and rebuild with hemp.

:laugh:

Angry White Male

White streets?  NICE!  The colour of my people!

Although you'd better have a hose ready in South Central LA, as the blood from the daily Negro gang shootings will be highly visible upon a white background...