The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Costco in Melbourne: A Review

Started by Frood, May 04, 2018, 01:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Frood

Some of us were talking about Costco a few days ago in another thread and I reconsidered joining and now have after many years of letting our membership run out.

It's a mixed bag.

The produce is still mostly crap and generally more expensive than the seasonal deals fruiterers and grocery chains offer (and were offered on this same day as I stopped into a Woolworths on the way home from the city and found their produce AND meat still better value and quality than Costco).

Some Costco rip offs (approximate cost by memory): Limp and seedy asparagus from Argentina-12 dollars a kilo, 7 dollar a kilo apples, 8 dollar a kilo grapes, 25-30 dollar a kilo cryovac rump, porterhouse, and scotch filet beef. 11 dollar a kilo mushrooms when they're going for 7-8 everywhere else. Tired unripe looking raspberries for 8 something a 250gm punnet as opposed to 3-4 dollars per 125gm elsewhere.

The oranges were reasonable and Aussie grown 'Nippy's' brand at 7 dollars for 3 kilos which isn't the best price but currently better quality than I've seen elsewhere.

Devondale Colby cheese was good value at 8 something for a kilo block versus a 550gm for 7 dollars sold in most shops. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my car fridge this trip or I'd have bought 5 or so kilos of it. It lasts for months unopened.

Their 1.something kilo take and bake pizzas were competitively priced at about 12 bucks and so where their other reheatable precooked deli offerings but it's not something we'd care to eat.

Not much in the way of clothing. If their three packs of merino wool hiking socks for around 16 bucks and made in the US actually have any wool in them, it's steel wool. A lot of cheap linen and business shirts. Mostly just jumpers, hoodies (Dickies Brand) and jackets.

Alcohol was no cheaper than any bottleshop special, except for the premix bourbon and cola cans. They were about 25 percent cheaper than anywhere I've ever seen. Though we don't drink those lollie water mixers.

Still can't believe they think two 5 packs of generic bagels for 10 dollars is cheap!

Walnuts were ok value as were the pine nuts and pistachios but the cashews were highway robbery.

There were so many ripoffs or super mild savings I should have brought a notepad and pen to write them all down.

They're like a much bigger version of an Aldi shop. Easy to see why people get the real deals mixed up with the crap then blow all of their shopping budget in one or two places then wonder why they're not saving any extra each month or even spending more.

However, there were some great deals and imported items not easily found elsewhere. Massive jars of Vlasic pickles for around 6 bucks. Double packs of huge bottles of French's mustard for around 7-8 dollars. Liked how they had mixed 24 can slabs of softdrink flavours cheaper than the supermarket 1 flavour cubes, which would be good for parties. There were plenty of other items like bulk peanut butter, mayo, condiments, etc I thought were good value but I didn't bring a trolley in and I wasn't in the mood to load the vehicle up and unload it later.

Did grab a 48 pack of Faber-Castell coloured pencils in a tin for 20 dollars which is about 40% savings. The kids go through them so fast.

Also got a kilo of organic goji berries  (25.00), 2x 300gm packs of beef jerky (25.00), and a kilo of mini pretzels (11.00). Decadent school snacks sorted for awhile!

I'm going to make it a point to visit Costco every couple of months now. If they're lucky, they might get 15% of my budget allocation on dry goods and pantry items. Shopping is war.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Costco's meat and produce is A-1.  But, as a bachelor living in a condo, I don't buy in bulk.

Frood

Quote from: "seoulbro"Costco's meat and produce is A-1.  But, as a bachelor living in a condo, I don't buy in bulk.

Maybe at your Costco. This one was peddling cryovac crap and piss poor produce at a premium, but maybe we're spoiled here in Australia and have higher expectations. Dunno.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Costco's meat and produce is A-1.  But, as a bachelor living in a condo, I don't buy in bulk.

I agree Seoul.

Bricktop

That pretty much sums it up.

I don't get fruit and veg there. The meat is first class, but ain't cheap. Its for restaurants, so its big money.

Vlasic pickles for $7 is a good deal...as are many other imported items not available elsewhere. You don't shop for clothes, but strike when they get a buy in of good quality stuff they are selling off cheap. I think Dickies is the only running brand name they have, because its always there. It seems reasonable quality...but not worth the money. Fila running shoes were $29. Rockport men's shoes $70 (for the elderly, of course) and odds and ends of other brands that are big savings on retail.

Their fuel is MUCH cheaper than anywhere else.

Its a bit of a pot pourri...but if you stick to the cheaper lines that ARE cheap and good value, you'll save a packet.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"That pretty much sums it up.

I don't get fruit and veg there. The meat is first class, but ain't cheap. Its for restaurants, so its big money.

Vlasic pickles for $7 is a good deal...as are many other imported items not available elsewhere. You don't shop for clothes, but strike when they get a buy in of good quality stuff they are selling off cheap. I think Dickies is the only running brand name they have, because its always there. It seems reasonable quality...but not worth the money. Fila running shoes were $29. Rockport men's shoes $70 (for the elderly, of course) and odds and ends of other brands that are big savings on retail.

Their fuel is MUCH cheaper than anywhere else.

Its a bit of a pot pourri...but if you stick to the cheaper lines that ARE cheap and good value, you'll save a packet.

We've never bought clothes from there..

We did buy an office chair that was cheaper than a similar one at Staples.

Bricktop

Whilst I've not always saved money...I've never bought an item I've been disappointed with. They do get some good stuff in, often cheaper than elsewhere, but as Freud says, not ALWAYS cheaper.

I like the bagels though. $5 for 6 is not a bad deal in my view.

Frood

Thought they were 5 packs. 12 for 10 dollars isn't as bad, I guess. What's the quality of the non bleached flour ones?

Another thing I noticed was that they do puncture repairs on tyres for 20 dollars when most places gouge at 40 to 50 dollars. Almost worth bringing the tyre to them instead of doing it yourself.

Tyre rotation was also super cheap as was the nitrogen filling.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

6 in the pack.

I like 'em. Toasted then buttered and Skippy Crunchy peanut butter. Bon appetit.

Tyres are cheap-er. Not by a lot.

I hope you don't pay for nitrogen in your tyres.

Frood

Bit pointless when we have compressors on our vehicles, nitrogen debate aside.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Whilst I've not always saved money...I've never bought an item I've been disappointed with. They do get some good stuff in, often cheaper than elsewhere, but as Freud says, not ALWAYS cheaper.

I like the bagels though. $5 for 6 is not a bad deal in my view.

That's something we stopped buying many years ago..

In the winter, my husband likes English muffins.

Angry White Male

I like a good bagel.  Must be the 2% Jew in me.  I like the English Muffin also.

Just can never consume a pack before they go stale.

My local grocer sells the fresh bagel in singles, which is Kosher for me...