News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

How can USPS make money when operating like this?

Started by Angry White Male, June 18, 2018, 01:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry White Male

Vancouver is a three hour drive North from Seattle.  My sight pusher was made in, and shipped from, Seattle days ago.

Right now it is in San Francisco... :oeudC:

My watch arrived from Singapore in four days via DHL.  It has taken USPS longer than that to move the product the wrong way, from Seattle to San Francisco...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Vancouver is a three hour drive North from Seattle.  My sight pusher was made in, and shipped from, Seattle days ago.

Right now it is in San Francisco... :oeudC:

My watch arrived from Singapore in four days via DHL.  It has taken USPS longer than that to move the product the wrong way, from Seattle to San Francisco...

Maybe they use the hub and spoke system too.

kiebers

The USPS does not make money, hasn't for quite some time. One of our budget issues....
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"The USPS does not make money, hasn't for quite some time. One of our budget issues....

It was never intended to make money, only to perform a service at a fair price.  It has mostly done so until about fifteen years ago, when Republicans in Congress began dreaming up treasonous ways to hamstring and sabotage it -- with a view to eventually being able to kill it and cook up a privatized replacement in the name of crony capitalism.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "kiebers"The USPS does not make money, hasn't for quite some time. One of our budget issues....

It was never intended to make money, only to perform a service at a fair price.  It has mostly done so until about fifteen years ago, when Republicans in Congress began dreaming up treasonous ways to hamstring and sabotage it -- with a view to eventually being able to kill it and cook up a privatized replacement in the name of crony capitalism.

Wrong, snail mail is dying out everywhere. Canada Post is in the same boat.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

Don't be so quick to label my post as "wrong."  You may be correct about Canada Post and about "everywhere" but even if so that would not refute my comment about the USPS.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

True enough IHJ..

They don't even call them mail carriers anymore, they are delivery agents..

Canada Post, Royal Mail and USPS were established for a different  era.

cc

Apart from regular mail, they are trying to compete with couriers

I understand that they are not making money on mail, so are adding alternative revenue sources.

I don't like the ethics of this. Clearly they have some distinct advantages over private business .. and have NO business competing with the private sector
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Apart from regular mail, they are trying to compete with couriers

I understand that they are not making money on mail, so are adding alternative revenue sources.

I don't like the ethics of this. Clearly they have some distinct advantages over private business .. and have NO business competing with the private sector

Thank you Seoul, I mean cc.

:laugh:

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Aw, the terminology had you fooled there

It did cc.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "cc"Apart from regular mail, they are trying to compete with couriers

Thank you Seoul, I mean cc.

Are you suggesting I have an unshakable faith in free markets and fair competition? Good guess.

Anonymous

There is nothing ethical about crown corporations like Canada Post or the CBC competing with private enterprise.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

There is nothing ethical about crown corporations like Canada Post or the CBC competing with private enterprise.

Maybe, but you don't believe they will be privatized do you Seoul?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "seoulbro"

Maybe, but you don't believe they will be privatized do you Seoul?

Not a chance. The pendulum has swung against free and fair markets. The opportunity to unload both of them is lost.