Replies: 10402
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Interesting Chart...

Started by Chuck Bronson, July 15, 2018, 06:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Bronson

How many minutes must one work at the minimum wage to be able to buy themselves a Big Mac, by country...

http://i66.tinypic.com/17dzt2.png">

http://i67.tinypic.com/hu3609.png">

Anonymous

Minimum wage in Spain is 655 Euros? :2r4ml1j_th:

Zetsu

This is pretty cool, but since minimum wage doesn't reflect the average salary, PPP would be a more precise indicator, meanwhile my brother says Hong Kong has the cheapest McD prices based on currency exchange rates, just $3.20 CAD for the Big Mac and no sales tax.
Permanently off his rocker

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"Minimum wage in Spain is 655 Euros? :2r4ml1j_th:

I looked over a couple of the numbers (mainly Canada and the US), and the numbers do seem fairly accurate, but obviously didn't take the time to verify each and every one...

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Zetsu"This is pretty cool, but since minimum wage doesn't reflect the average salary, PPP would be a more precise indicator, meanwhile my brother says Hong Kong has the cheapest McD prices based on currency exchange rates, just $3.20 CAD for the Big Mac.

The problem is wages can vary drastically, but the minimum wage is kind of an easy way to measure this by, since even if you take any shitty old job, you would at least earn that much...

Zetsu

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"
Quote from: "Zetsu"This is pretty cool, but since minimum wage doesn't reflect the average salary, PPP would be a more precise indicator, meanwhile my brother says Hong Kong has the cheapest McD prices based on currency exchange rates, just $3.20 CAD for the Big Mac.

The problem is wages can vary drastically, but the minimum wage is kind of an easy way to measure this by, since even if you take any shitty old job, you would at least earn that much...

That's for sure, but in Hong Kong ppl with professional careers or business owners can earn more b/c the company don't have to waste money on minimum wage workers, I think a good indicator is to use the GDP per capita or better PPP instead, can help reflects the average person's purchasing ability in any country.
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"This is pretty cool, but since minimum wage doesn't reflect the average salary, PPP would be a more precise indicator, meanwhile my brother says Hong Kong has the cheapest McD prices based on currency exchange rates, just $3.20 CAD for the Big Mac and no sales tax.

That's true.

Bricktop

The reason BOTH Australia and New Zealand top the chart for the shortest period of time is that there is a mandated minimum wage that employers must pay their employees. I think its around $23,000 per annum, at an hourly rate calculated from that amount. That is for permanent staff only, though. This is why Australians don't tip. No need.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"The reason BOTH Australia and New Zealand top the chart for the shortest period of time is that there is a mandated minimum wage that employers must pay their employees. I think its around $23,000 per annum, at an hourly rate calculated from that amount. That is for permanent staff only, though. This is why Australians don't tip. No need.

I thought your minimum wage was higher than that..

Our new provincial minimum wage coming into effect later this year is fifteen dollars per hour  or $31,200 per year based on 2080 work hours in a year.

Bricktop

You're right. It's $34,980. Hence there's no need to tip.

Still, its not a lot when bills are increasing in size almost daily. You certainly won't be buying a house on that income.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"You're right. It's $34,980. Hence there's no need to tip.

Still, its not a lot when bills are increasing in size almost daily. You certainly won't be buying a house on that income.

Most servers in Alberta would prefer a lower minimum wage with tipping..

They get to keep more of their money that way.

Bricktop

How?

Tips still need to be declared as income.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"How?

Tips still need to be declared as income.

But, they don't.

Bricktop

Ah.

Which is why we don't tip. Why should we pay tax, then give them money which they don't declare? Dumb idea.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Ah.

Which is why we don't tip. Why should we pay tax, then give them money which they don't declare? Dumb idea.

It's good for small business owners who don't have to raise wages when their margins are razor thin. Quick, big increases in minimum wages in some provinces have resulted in small businesses shedding thousands of service jobs in Ontario anyway.