The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

What was the legacy of the 1960s?

Started by JOE, July 29, 2018, 05:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

JOE

Does it still resonate with us today?

How influential had this decade been in shaping our current world?

Or is it just a passing  era which has seen its time?

Here's a tune from that decade I rather enjoyed because it has a defiance which marks the spirit of that time

">

Chuck Bronson

I dream of a young Mimi dancing around in the 1960's, with her long hair flowing in the breeze, and a flower in there for some odd reason...

Bricktop

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Bricktop"You had to  be there...

Was nothing special.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"
Quote from: "Bricktop"You had to  be there...

Was nothing special.

It had its moments.  Sadly, that was pretty much all they were.

Wazzzup

I was born in the 60s.  By far the best thing that happened back then :laugh:

Anonymous

I've always thought the best thing about the sixties was the number of women who were happy to show me their tits and blow weed with me and fuck me silly.

Guess it depends on your POV.

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Peaches"I've always thought the best thing about the sixties was the number of women who were happy to show me their tits and blow weed with me and fuck me silly.

Guess it depends on your POV.
Well since I was a baby back in the 60s, titties were just for food.  I wasn't as able to fully appreciate them the way I did when I got older :laugh:

Anonymous

I was born in 1975, so that decade is a mystery to me. But, it seems that is the decade that gave birth to the feeling of entitlement today.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"I was born in 1975, so that decade is a mystery to me. But, it seems that is the decade that gave birth to the feeling of entitlement today.

I'd disagree.  The entitled ones are the post-war baby boomers, roughly 1947-1962 births.  Most of the flower children, hippies, etc. were boomers.  My generation, the previous one, infused them with a lot of idealism but they were so undisciplined they fucked everything up.

But the entitlement today isn't so much a generational thing.  I think it has a lot more moving parts, and I can't really describe some of them.

Odinson

A lot of mistakes were made in the 60´s which are now costing the americans dearly.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"I was born in 1975, so that decade is a mystery to me. But, it seems that is the decade that gave birth to the feeling of entitlement today.

Do you mean everything post generation x?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

:43(2):

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I wasn't referring to any generation. I am talking about taking advantage of taxpayers.

Bricktop

That is not true.

The period of 64 to 69 re-defined society, and importantly, set a path towards re-defining the social contract between governments and their people.

A comment was made above that mistakes were made in the 60's. Whatever those "mistakes", they pale in comparison to the catastrophic and howling aberrations the previous generation inflicted on the world, starting with two world wars, a nuclear holocaust, and invading other countries because their political tenets and principles did not match your own ideology. That generation slaughtered millions.

And in 1961, the US President committed its sons to a war in Vietnam that had no basis in reason or virtue. The US commandeered other nations to join them in this battle for "the true path", and they in turn conscripted their men to go forth and die in a jungle that had no influence on their homeland whatsoever.

The youth of the 60's, tired of the old guard, their contraints, demand for total compliance in both culture and governance and their passion for war grew restless. The cultural tsunami led by, of all things, popular music turned into a political earthquake that set the agenda of change we feel even today.

So many shibboleths were challenged...such as women being treated as lesser beings than men or black people being lynched for demanding equality...and dismantled in lieu of fairness and a a more just society for better or in some cases, worse.

But no-one can predict the longer term effects of social change, because humans are startlingly unpredictable.