It is currently December 5th, 2019, 6:56 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous 121 22 23 24 2527 Next
Unread postPosted: April 8th, 2019, 1:23 pm 

I post this only to demonstrate the idiocy and lack of financial knowledge of her (and so many like her)

After winning her House race last year, New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., "swung by" to say goodbye to the Coffee Shop in Union Square where she used to work.

She tweeted: "The restaurant I used to work at is closing its doors. I swung by today to say hi one last time, and kid around with friends like old times."

What she didn't say is that the popular coffee shop was closing its doors because it couldn't afford the $15 minimum pay raise that Ocasio-Cortez has gone on to strongly support.

The times have changed in our industry,” co-owner Charles Milite told The New York Post. “The rents are very high and now the minimum wage is going up and we have a huge number of employees.”

Unread postPosted: April 8th, 2019, 1:31 pm 

cc wrote:
I post this only to demonstrate the idiocy and lack of financial knowledge of her (and so many like her)

After winning her House race last year, New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., "swung by" to say goodbye to the Coffee Shop in Union Square where she used to work.

She tweeted: "The restaurant I used to work at is closing its doors. I swung by today to say hi one last time, and kid around with friends like old times."

What she didn't say is that the popular coffee shop was closing its doors because it couldn't afford the $15 minimum pay raise that Ocasio-Cortez has gone on to strongly support.

The times have changed in our industry,” co-owner Charles Milite told The New York Post. “The rents are very high and now the minimum wage is going up and we have a huge number of employees.”

A higher minimum wage doesn't mean more take home pay.....I mean for servers, not the government.

Unread postPosted: April 8th, 2019, 1:37 pm 

Exactly. In the end, it mainly adds to the coffers of govts .. and very often hurts workers, and especially food and beverage workers

And many cut tips when they know wages have been increased

Unread postPosted: April 8th, 2019, 1:45 pm 

cc wrote:
Exactly. In the end, it mainly adds to the coffers of govts .. and very often hurts workers, and especially food and beverage workers

And many cut tips when they know wages have been increased

In Alberta, our fifteen dollar minimum wage has changed the tipping culture.

Unread postPosted: April 8th, 2019, 2:00 pm 

Right .. and no surprise

Here's more on this overall aspect from same article:

Minimum wage hikes trigger 'payroll tsunami,' as small businesses cut back

Small business owners across the country are beginning to feel the pinch as more states move toward a $15 minimum wage.

While proposals to raise pay are intended to help workers, several mom-and-pop coffee shops as well as restaurants are responding by cutting hours, eliminating jobs or closing down entirely because they can't keep up with rising wages under the law.

It's the ugly side to the highly touted wage hikes, economists say, adding that the bumps can unleash a "payroll tsunami" for smaller businesses already stretched thin from rising rents and soaring health care costs.

"For some of these businesses, the minimum wage hikes tip the balance between staying in business and going out of business," Panos Mourdoukoutas, professor of economics at LIU Post in New York, wrote in Forbes.

An example - Boston's iconic restaurant Durgin-Park in Faneuil Hall was forced to shutter its doors in January after nearly two centuries in business. The owners said they couldn't keep up with the wages and health care premium hikes.

Unread postPosted: April 8th, 2019, 2:09 pm 

cc wrote:
Right .. and no surprise

Here's more on this overall aspect from same article:

Minimum wage hikes trigger 'payroll tsunami,' as small businesses cut back

Small business owners across the country are beginning to feel the pinch as more states move toward a $15 minimum wage.

While proposals to raise pay are intended to help workers, several mom-and-pop coffee shops as well as restaurants are responding by cutting hours, eliminating jobs or closing down entirely because they can't keep up with rising wages under the law.

It's the ugly side to the highly touted wage hikes, economists say, adding that the bumps can unleash a "payroll tsunami" for smaller businesses already stretched thin from rising rents and soaring health care costs.

"For some of these businesses, the minimum wage hikes tip the balance between staying in business and going out of business," Panos Mourdoukoutas, professor of economics at LIU Post in New York, wrote in Forbes.

An example - Boston's iconic restaurant Durgin-Park in Faneuil Hall was forced to shutter its doors in January after nearly two centuries in business. The owners said they couldn't keep up with the wages and health care premium hikes.

When I was a waitress, I earned more than the owners on weekends with my tips.

Unread postPosted: April 8th, 2019, 2:33 pm 

Unread postPosted: April 8th, 2019, 3:25 pm 

Has it ever occurred to those lamenting the closure of these businesses that they made money by paying people less than a living wage?

And that if the minimum wage is standard, ALL businesses would be burdened with higher costs and would thus close. But most don't. They pass the extra cost on to the customer...because ALL businesses will do the same. No business is disadvantaged.

The minimum wage is not just about ensuring all workers can earn enough to live on. It's also about making sure the ALL businesses operate from the same salary baseline. Thus, it should not be the businesses carrying the burden of providing everyone with a decent remuneration, but its customers.

Unread postPosted: April 8th, 2019, 3:35 pm 

Minimum wages have the opposite effect. I can't believe people don't comprehend that.

Unread postPosted: April 8th, 2019, 3:36 pm 

Bricktop wrote:
Has it ever occurred to those lamenting the closure of these businesses that they made money by paying people less than a living wage?

And that if the minimum wage is standard, ALL businesses would be burdened with higher costs and would thus close. But most don't. They pass the extra cost on to the customer...because ALL businesses will do the same. No business is disadvantaged.

The minimum wage is not just about ensuring all workers can earn enough to live on. It's also about making sure the ALL businesses operate from the same salary baseline. Thus, it should not be the businesses carrying the burden of providing everyone with a decent remuneration, but its customers.

I think you have missed the point. The only people who get a raise when the minimum wage goes up are the provincial and federal governments. Like Fash says, it is destroying the tipping culture. Make no mistake, that is their intent.

Unread postPosted: April 9th, 2019, 7:31 am 

It's a vicious circle. Raise the minimum wage, pass the cost to the consumer, cost of living goes up making the minimum wage once again needing to be raised. Rinse repeat.

Unread postPosted: April 9th, 2019, 7:37 am 

kiebers wrote:
It's a vicious circle. Raise the minimum wage, pass the cost to the consumer, cost of living goes up making the minimum wage once again needing to be raised. Rinse repeat.

The best solution to putting more money in the pockets of low income workers was by Trump. Raising the basic exemption gave low income service workers a raise without killing jobs and putting small business owners out of business. Of course it means less money for greedy governments.

Unread postPosted: April 10th, 2019, 6:30 am 

AOC's latest stupidity

"Climate change" has nothing to do with immigration.

Unread postPosted: April 10th, 2019, 8:57 pm 

Wazzzup wrote:
AOC's latest stupidity

"Climate change" has nothing to do with immigration.

A government department released a report that says Canada is warming twice as fast as the rest of the world..

If AOC is correct, I should've already fled to another country.

Unread postPosted: April 10th, 2019, 9:21 pm 

AOC's ignorance proves what I have always said. Spic broads should be shining shitters and giving two dollar hummers.

Unread postPosted: April 12th, 2019, 3:14 pm 

Ocasio-Cortez Says Conservatives Are Inciting Violence Against the Left
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ainst-left

Quote:
“We are getting to the point where this is incitement of violence against progressive women of color,” Ocasio-Cortez, a New York Democrat, told reporters. “If they can’t figure out how to get it back to policy, we need to call it out for what it is. This is not normal, this is not a normal level of political debate or rhetoric.”

“Almost every time this uncalled for rhetoric gets blasted by conserv. grps, we get a spike in death threats to refer to Capitol Police. Multiple ppl have been arrested trying to harm me, Ilhan, & others. @GOP, what’s it going to take to stop?” she asked in the Twitter post.

Yeah right, even though political motivated violence is about 10 to 1 prognazis on angtiprogs. :oeudC:

AOC is a vile, racebaiting, empty-headed, piece of trash.

Unread postPosted: April 12th, 2019, 5:25 pm 

kiebers wrote:

Yet Australia and the US are fairly equal on cost of living expenses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

And that's with a minimum wage AND a universal health care system.

By your logic, Australia's standard of living should be well below the US, but it's not.

Unread postPosted: April 12th, 2019, 6:01 pm 

From your link....

Quote:
The figures presented here do not take into account differences in the cost of living in different countries, and the results vary greatly from one year to another based on fluctuations in the exchange rates of the country's currency. Such fluctuations change a country's ranking from one year to the next, even though they often make little or no difference to the standard of living of its population.

Therefore, these figures should be used with caution. GDP per capita is often considered an indicator of a country's standard of living;[2][3] although this is problematic because GDP per capita is not a measure of personal income.

Wonder how things would be in Canada and Australia if there were an additional 300 million people put in the mix in each country. Imagine the wait times for health care then....

Unread postPosted: April 12th, 2019, 7:33 pm 

Bricktop wrote:
kiebers wrote:

By your logic, Australia's standard of living should be well below the US, but it's not.

I find that hard to believe..

Everything from fuel to milk to phone plans is cheaper in the USA than in Canada.

Unread postPosted: April 13th, 2019, 4:09 pm 

Fashionista wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
kiebers wrote:

I find that hard to believe..

Everything from fuel to milk to phone plans is cheaper in the USA than in Canada.

That does not mean their standard of living is higher. Paying more for commodities may actually raise the average standard of living, because the revenue is more evenly distributed.

Having seen the slums in South Central LA, I fail to see how cheaper milk means much to the residents.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous 121 22 23 24 2527 Next