It is currently December 12th, 2019, 5:07 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Re: Andrew Scheer
Unread postPosted: October 24th, 2019, 10:31 pm 

cc wrote:
We went rouge ... but had luxury that con would likely win our riding .. she did handily

I should have done that too. The Conservatives won every seat in Saskatchewan. My MP won almost seventy per cent of the vote.

Unread postPosted: October 25th, 2019, 5:52 pm 

cc wrote:
We went rouge ... but had luxury that con would likely win our riding .. she did handily

I suppose you meant "rogue" instead of "rouge." Rouge means "to cause to redden." I doubt that's what you meant.

Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don't take it so seriously.

Unread postPosted: October 25th, 2019, 6:24 pm 

Andrew is an uninspiring leader.

Unread postPosted: October 25th, 2019, 7:41 pm 

@realAzhyaAryola wrote:
cc wrote:

I suppose you meant "rogue" instead of "rouge." Rouge means "to cause to redden." I doubt that's what you meant.

yaaaaaa ac_blush

Unread postPosted: October 25th, 2019, 7:52 pm 

cc wrote:
@realAzhyaAryola wrote:
cc wrote:

yaaaaaa ac_blush

Azhya is picking up the grammar nazi slack now that BT is semi-retired.

Unread postPosted: October 25th, 2019, 10:08 pm 

Shen Li wrote:
cc wrote:
@realAzhyaAryola wrote:
cc wrote:

yaaaaaa ac_blush

We are due for a visit from Brick.

Unread postPosted: October 25th, 2019, 10:40 pm 

So, what's wrong with going rouge?

The electoral staff liked my outfit

Unread postPosted: October 26th, 2019, 7:12 am 

cc wrote:
So, what's wrong with going rouge?

The electoral staff liked my outfit

Too partisan Liberal.
:laugh:

Unread postPosted: October 26th, 2019, 9:30 am 

Shen Li wrote:
cc wrote:
@realAzhyaAryola wrote:
cc wrote:

yaaaaaa ac_blush

Azhya's eyes are trained to catch these things even though her brain may be too tired to care.

Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don't take it so seriously.

Unread postPosted: October 29th, 2019, 7:26 pm 

Step up or step down
Conservative leader can’t stay business as usual

The knives that were going in Andrew Scheer’s back are suddenly coming at him from the front as disgruntled candidates and party operatives take time to vent about last week’s election results.

Failed candidates are now griping Scheer has to go and make way for a new leader that can win.

Scheer has to deal with this and failures in his office if he wants to survive.

Terrance Young, an MP from 2008 to 2015 and a candidate in Oakville this past election, called Scheer a nice guy who “can’t connect with voters,” in an interview with the Globe and Mail.

In the same article, star Quebec candidate and former Olympian Sylvie Frechette said Scheer, “didn’t connect at all in Quebec.”

That’s some stark and open talk from a pair of candidates that put faith in their party and their leader and lost — especially since Scheer increased the Conservatives seat count by 26, won the popular vote and held Justin Trudeau’s Liberals to a minority.

Scheer has some good points to boast about, but some just want him gone and others are furious over issues that I still don’t think cost him the election. After Scheer said he won’t march in future gay pride parades, former Harper-era press secretary Sara Macintyre took to Twitter to say she was “pissed off.”

“I am sick of this, disgusted, and support LGBTQ rights, gay marriage and being equal. I no longer support the CPC while a leader like that is at the helm,” Macintyre wrote.

It’s part of the media narrative — actually one of the main media narratives — that Scheer lost the election because of the issues of abortion and same-sex marriage. I don’t buy it.

There is no evidence that voters looked at Trudeau’s record — a man who brought us Snc-lavalin, fired Jody Wilson-raybould, broke ethics laws twice, and wore blackface more times than he could remember — but then chose to back the Liberals simply because Scheer won’t march in a pride parade.

I’ll agree it could be one of many factors, including that when he gave answers on those topics, he simply didn’t sound genuine or believable.

He sounded unsure just like he did answering difficult questions about his insurance industry career or his American citizenship.

Scheer isn’t good at answering tough questions and if he wants to stick around, then he needs to learn that skill. Voters won’t back someone who sounds unsure and in Ontario, the Liberals were able to pair that with the Ford factor and uncertainty to scare away swing voters from Scheer and absolutely panic NDP voters that if they backed Jagmeet Singh, Scheer would become PM. Another thing Scheer will have to do if he wants to stick around is make tough decisions.

When Stephen Harper lost in 2004, he fired his chief of staff Phil Murphy, he fired director of communications Jim Armour and he replaced campaign manager Tom Flannigan. Scheer hasn’t done any of that.

The leader is one part of the equation, the team around him is another. Scheer’s team failed him and like the general manager of a hockey team, Scheer needs to fire the coach, trade some players and shake things up.

Or step down and let someone else take over.

He can’t stay business as usual, the next campaign begins now and will likely take place within the next 18-24 months. That is all the time Scheer has to get a new team together and convince voters to give him another chance.

Unread postPosted: October 29th, 2019, 7:27 pm 

Awkwaaaaard

Unread postPosted: November 2nd, 2019, 10:03 am 

3 must-learn lessons for Canada’s Tories

Canadian conservatives had high hopes for a win in October’s federal election. They didn’t get one.

Now, conservatives are hoping Justin Trudeau’s minority government doesn’t last long and Canada will be headed back to the polls within the next two years. Whenever the next election comes, there are three critical lessons the Conservative brain trust must learn if they want to win.

1. Andrew Scheer isn’t the reason Conservatives lost.

Andrew Scheer is a flawed candidate for prime minister of Canada. But, there’s never been a perfect candidate. They’re all human. They’re all flawed.

Remember, Conservative Party members had only two real leadership options to choose from: Andrew Scheer or Maxime Bernier. Scheer grew the Conservative seat count from 99 to 121. Bernier’s hardright party failed utterly and he lost his own seat. Does anyone think Bernier would have been a better choice to lead the Conservatives in this election?

Before Conservative Party members decide who will lead them in the next election, they need to understand that replacing Scheer won’t fix the problem.

Andrew Scheer is not the reason Conservatives lost the election.

2. Conservative communication sucked.

The Conservative Party wasn’t able to deal with the most obvious attacks Liberals leveled at them.

Most Canadians weren’t buying the tired old Liberal “beware the Conservatives’ hidden agenda” line. Until the Conservatives literally hid their agenda by keeping their campaign platform secret until the last weekend of the election.

Most Canadians were ready to accept a straightforward, unambiguous answer on abortion and gay rights. But, Conservatives never gave them one. Instead, they offered up a gobbledygook script of committee-approved messages.

One of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever received came from a sergeant who took me aside when I was a young army officer. He said, “Sir, it’s not enough to give orders that are easy to understand. You have to give orders that are impossible to misunderstand.”

The next Conservative leader must speak in straightforward terms that are impossible to misunderstand.

But, even their atrocious campaign communication was not the reason Conservatives lost the election.

3. You can’t sell what nobody wants to buy.

I learned in business (the hard way) the most difficult thing to sell is something nobody wants. No matter how much it might benefit them, if you have to convince people they should want your product, you’re not going to sell much of it. Better to start with a product consumers already want. Then, it’s just about closing the deal.

It’s not that Canadians didn’t like Andrew Scheer. It’s not that they didn’t understand the Conservative message.

Canadians didn’t want the government Conservatives were selling.

Conservatives need to stop selling people on “core conservative values,” and start building a government Canadians want to buy.

Many of the principles Conservatives were offering: prudent fiscal management, protection of freedoms, a focus on core services, etc. are things most Canadians want. But, the rest of the Conservative platform was a hodgepodge of cobbled-together archetypal conservative tropes. Few of them resonated with most Canadians.

The Ontario Progressive Conservatives were in the same position before the last provincial election. They’d lost four elections in a row, trying to sell the same-old, same-old conservative values to a province that just wasn’t interested. Only after the party became more reflective of modern Ontario and built a platform that resonated with common people, did the party win government again.

It’s time for federal Conservatives to learn the same lessons. If they want to grow beyond their 30-35% base of support and win a majority government again, they need to reinvent themselves. They’re going to have to build a party and a platform that delivers what Canadians actually want — not what conservatives think Canadians should want.

If they don’t, they’ll lose again.

Unread postPosted: November 3rd, 2019, 7:47 am 

I believe Scheer will be replaced, but for God sakes wait until the party convention in Toronto next year to do that.

By Lorrie Goldstein of Sun News Media

It’s Scheer madness!
Amateur-hour federal Tories imploding

So as it turns out, it was the Conservatives, not the Liberals, who weren’t as advertised in the federal election.

In the days leading up to the Oct. 21 vote, Conservatives told us they were united behind Leader Andrew Scheer, who was ready to lead the country.

But in the days following the election, they had been stabbing each other in the front, with many disingenuously complaining, in so many words, that they are “shocked, shocked,” to discover Scheer is an unelectable social conservative. They have as much credibility as Capt. Louis Renault in the famous scene from Casablanca, where he tells the owner of Rick’s Cafe Americain, played by Humphrey Bogart, that he’s shutting down his restaurant because he’s, “shocked — shocked — to find that gambling is going on in here,” moments before his winnings are handed to him.

The Conservatives knew Scheer was a social conservative when they elected him on May 27, 2017 — that he personally opposed same-sex marriage and abortion, that he wouldn’t march in gay pride parades.

But it didn’t matter to “party insiders” then because in 2017 they were basically conceding the 2019 election to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the Liberals.

Their thinking was Trudeau would win a second majority and the Conservatives would then regroup, replacing Scheer, whom they considered a caretaker leader, with a higher-profile Conservative, who would then have a good chance to dethrone Trudeau in 2023.

But that was before scandals like gropegate. Before two ethics commissioners found Trudeau repeatedly broke conflict-of-interest rules in the Aga Khan and Lavscam affairs. Before the failed prosecution/persecution of Vice-admiral Mark Norman. And, of course, before blackface.

With each new scandal, Conservative hopes of defeating Trudeau’s inaugural majority government after one election — accomplished only twice before in Canadian history — soared.

Too many Conservatives foolishly believed all they had to do was show up for the 2019 election and they’d win.

That’s why the result — the Liberals reduced to a minority government, with the Conservatives gaining seats and winning the popular vote — an outcome Conservatives would have been turning cartwheels over when they elected Scheer in 2017, is now described by Conservative elites as a defeat.

Instead of viewing what happened rationally — Conservative fortunes have dramatically improved at the expense of the Liberals — the Conservatives, to the delight of Trudeau and Co., because it masks their own political failure, are imploding.

A Conservative party that was ready to govern would have understood that Scheer, having significantly improved the party’s electoral standing, should be given a chance to demonstrate he can learn from the weaknesses he displayed in this election.

Primarily his inability to convince Canadians that he understands his personal views as a social conservative on abortion and same-sex marriage are irrelevant to the job of being the PM and protecting the rights of all Canadians.

If Scheer fails to convince his party he can do that, then the Conservatives, following their normal procedure, can dump him during a leadership review six months from now, through a non-confidence vote, and hold a new leadership campaign.

But the unseemly spectacle of Conservatives now pretending they had no idea of who Scheer was when they elected him in 2017 is not only intellectually dishonest, it exposes their party as a nest of vipers lusting for a messiah (Peter Mackay ... seriously?) who can return them to power.

They might as well be Liberals.

Unread postPosted: November 5th, 2019, 5:33 pm 

By Anthony Furey

What Canadian conservatism really needed was a Barry Goldwater

After Barack Obama was elected for a second term in 2012, the Republicans did a major port-mortem on what challenger Mitt Romney’s loss meant. The tone was that the GOP was relegated to the dustbin and could never win again. The theatrics were a bit much. Then a lot happened that nobody saw coming and now they’re back in power.

Conservatives in Canada would be wise to resist the same narrative currently being pushed on them after Trudeau’s re-election, that they’re facing an existential crisis and that Andrew Scheer is a total disaster. It serves no one other than a biased media, those scheming to replace Scheer and Trudeau himself, who is facing less scrutiny than Scheer even though he’s the one who now has to fix all of these troubled policy files the nation faces.

Part of the problem with these conservative post-mortems is that the parameters of the debate are often framed by people who will never vote for them in the first place. To be clear, I think it would make things much easier for Conservatives if the leader didn’t have a so-con past that can be exploited for fear-mongering. But you can be sure that once that issue is neutralized, they’ll quickly drum up something else as the go-to vilification line.

No, what ails conservatism in Canada at this present moment is simpler than that. The big problem is an inability to stake out firm policy positions not because the polls told you to but because you believe them to be right and then planting your feet firm and arguing for your position.

Conservatives should try this some time. It’s what the left always does and, hats off to them, they’re great at it — routinely pushing the culture in their direction.

Some of my fellow columnists regularly lament the lack of Big Ideas within the broader conservative movement and everyone nods in agreement, but then when a Big Idea crops up they all pile on to attack it. And the attack usually isn’t rooted in logical argument, but more from the horror that someone’s departing from the very narrow lanes our politics travels along.

Throughout the year there are conservative conferences and think tank gatherings where Big Ideas are put forward. Politicos spend their years out of power chomping at the bit for a chance to implement these ideas and then as soon as they get back into office they get cold feet. Then what happens is cabinet ministers show up at those same conferences to chastise the attendees about why that Big Idea can’t happen after all.

A prime example is Ontario: The Tories have been waiting for their chance to govern for 15 years. They won a resounding majority mandate last year under a man who seemed like even more of a reformer wrecking ball than Mike Harris. Yet their first year in office — when they should be quickly doing the most radical changes — was a lost one, spent backtracking on half-baked ideas of little consequence.

(All this stuff you’re hearing in the news about draconian cuts is false. There are no cuts, the budget is growing. It’s just that the activists and unions are better at messaging than the Ford government.)

If you want to talk post-mortems, let’s go back to 1964. Republican Presidential nominee Barry Goldwater lost massively to Lyndon Johnson, but his unapologetic championing of serious ideas began to change the broader culture and paved the way for Ronald Reagan’s sweeping victories.

Canadian conservatives lament that they can’t campaign on half the ideas they really want because the culture just isn’t there yet. Then they lose anyway. So maybe it’s time they start campaigning more sincerely and see where it takes them.

Unread postPosted: November 7th, 2019, 11:19 am 

Andrew Scheer is safe...for now.

Unread postPosted: November 7th, 2019, 3:57 pm 

@realAzhyaAryola wrote:
Andrew Scheer is safe...for now.

Until April.

Unread postPosted: November 7th, 2019, 7:09 pm 

What is so bad about Andrew Scheer other than he didn't win the most seats? His policies are not even conservative let alone right wing.

Unread postPosted: November 8th, 2019, 3:35 am 

I have no comment on Andrew Scheer's leadership, but I'm appalled that his personal faith is being discussed in public life..

Would the opposition parties and the media do this to a practicing Muslim or a Jew?

I doubt it.

Unread postPosted: November 8th, 2019, 4:07 am 

Fashionista wrote:
I have no comment on Andrew Scheer's leadership, but I'm appalled that his personal faith is being discussed in public life..

Would the opposition parties and the media do this to a practicing Muslim or a Jew?

I doubt it.

I am not a fan of Andy Scheer. He is a Liberal in everything, but name. But, my fellow Ontarians are being unfair with him. And that is because he is from out West.

Unread postPosted: November 10th, 2019, 10:39 pm 

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer can give that will satisfy the Liberals, and the liberal media, that he is not homophobic.

That he would not ban same-sex marriage if he becomes prime minister.

Scheer can’t prove a negative. The only way he could prove it is to become prime minister and uphold same-sex marriage.

Marching in a gay pride parade wouldn’t change the Liberal/liberal media narrative about Scheer, because he would be accused of doing it for reasons of political expediency.

The Liberal/liberal media attack on Scheer postelection — basically that he’s a closet homophobe — has replaced the Liberal/ liberal media narrative pre-election, orchestrated by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, that Scheer was a closet racist and white supremacist sympathizer.

I am not a Scheer fan, but this is a witch hunt. Scheer is undergoing trial by religion and the damage is done.