It is currently December 12th, 2019, 4:38 pm

All times are UTC-08:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Misc. Politics
Unread postPosted: July 27th, 2019, 8:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 16346
A Canadian Press poll has the Tories down at 36 per cent, and the Liberals up at 33 per cent. They are less reliable than Ipsos, so I am a little suspicious of the results.

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Misc. Politics
Unread postPosted: July 27th, 2019, 10:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 1st, 2016, 6:51 pm
Posts: 8676
Herman wrote:
A Canadian Press poll has the Tories down at 36 per cent, and the Liberals up at 33 per cent. They are less reliable than Ipsos, so I am a little suspicious of the results.

Shouldn't this be in the Canadian Election thread?

_________________
“No issue better illustrates the divide between America’s working class and America’s political class than illegal immigration- Donald J. Trump.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Misc. Politics
Unread postPosted: July 28th, 2019, 5:48 am 

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 41385
iron horse jockey wrote:
Herman wrote:
A Canadian Press poll has the Tories down at 36 per cent, and the Liberals up at 33 per cent. They are less reliable than Ipsos, so I am a little suspicious of the results.

Shouldn't this be in the Canadian Election thread?

Yes.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: July 28th, 2019, 9:59 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12719
This is by a Liberal, but there is some truth to it. Doug Ford in particular is hurting Andrew Scheer. Ford inherited the largest sub sovereign debt in the world. Cuts have to be made to save the province from further expensive credit downgrades. Every time he announces a cut, the public sector unions rally against it, and Ford backs down, making him look weak.

The three politicians blocking Scheer's path

Andrew Scheer has three politicians blocking his potential path to becoming the next Prime Minister, and none of them are Liberal or named Justin Trudeau.

What’s worse for Scheer is there isn’t much he can do to get them out of the way.

The political actions and tactics of Maxime Bernier, Jagmeet Singh, and Doug Ford could all fall like a row of dominoes, creating a political result in October of splintered voting and support in crucial ridings and propel Justin Trudeau to another Liberal majority.

First, there is the political quagmire of Maxime Bernier and the People’s Party of Canada.

In 2017 Bernier led 12 of 13 rounds of voting in the Conservative leadership race. He was first place on every single ballot except the last. He came within a whisker of winning the leadership before losing to Andrew Scheer 50.95% to 49.05%

Bernier was a threat to Scheer then, and he is a more significant threat now. By leaving the Conservatives and forming his party, Bernier will both push Scheer further right and take away some vital conservative votes.

What’s worse for Scheer is that Bernier presents as the perfect bogeyman for Trudeau to attack and remind middle of the road voters why they voted Liberal in the last election.

Last week, in “Donald Trump Lite” fashion, Bernier talked about building a fence on the border to keep illegal immigrants out of the country. It’s outlandish, mediasavvy, controversial and presents the perfect foil for Trudeau to attack.

The Liberal campaign strategy this fall should be to go on a massive offensive against Bernier. The more they attack Bernier, the higher the profile Bernier will gain and pull votes away from Scheer – or frighten potential Conservative swing voters back to the Liberal fold.

Scheer can’t stop Bernier unless he is more outrageous. That would take him away from the middle of the road approach he needs to build a coalition of voters to become Prime Minister.

Second, Scheer has the opposite problem with the NDP leader. Jagmeet Singh continues to be a disappointment, and he is starting to run out of time to be a factor in the 2019 election. Singh makes “Where’s Waldo” look like a member of the Kardashian family.

Scheer needs Singh to attack Trudeau on the left and have the NDP force Trudeau to defend himself from the left and right. He also desperately needs Singh to keep many of the NDP Quebec seats and not have them fall into Liberal hands.

NDP supporters will strategically vote Liberal and hurt Scheer if Singh doesn’t get his act together ASAP.

The third factor is Ontario Premier Doug Ford. While Ford won a massive majority and painted Ontario Tory blue, he has also been a polarizing figure. The threat of a teacher’s strike in Ontario is a real and present danger to Scheer.

Ford is making many changes. He was elected to do exactly that, but change does not come without a cost. Scheer may have to pay it.

Canada’s most populous province also has a history of electing Prime Ministers that are the opposite partisan nature as their Premier.

David Peterson and Brian Mulroney. Mike Harris and Jean Chretien. Dalton Mcguinty and Stephen Harper.

There are of course exceptions to the rule, but Ontarians may be cautious to have Conservatives run the show in Ottawa and Toronto.

Andrew Scheer may have the perfect campaign strategy. He may avoid many of the rookie mistakes a first-time leader may make. But none of that matters if the perfect storm of Bernier, Scheer, and Ford get in the way.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 3rd, 2019, 11:30 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12719
Red and Blue all over again

There are less than 100 days before Canadians choose the next federal government.

It has come down to, borrowing shamelessly from Jason Isbell, a choice between the red or the blue and every day there’s a little less difference between the two. It would seem that orange, having selected a stylish leader, is fading to green (whose leader is decidedly unstylish). But, the Leafs will win more games than the orange and green will collectively elect MPS.

And so, once again, it is red and blue locked in a championship of form over substance, each determined to undermine the other.

Those who enjoy substantive debates over important issues might want to sit this election out. Substance is highly over rated.

The political gurus know that substance is almost as dangerous as rational thought.

Consider that Tim Hudak was pounded for a policy that brazenly suggested reducing the size (and cost) of government would result in the loss of some government jobs.

That hardly seems like an earth-shattering observation.

But, in the altered state of political campaigns, the obvious must be avoided. Pixie dust and rainbow stew are preferred to cold reality.

Consider global warming (climate change, climate emergency, climate crisis, etc.) which apparently is a big issue and a key differentiator between red and blue.

The reds are big on taxing carbon in order to save the planet. The blue team wants to end carbon taxing to save the economy.

Both sides are desperate to avoid the obvious.

If Canada eliminated greenhouse gas emissions entirely (think living in cold, dark caves) the effect on global emissions would be miniscule.

The impact humans have on climate has a lot to do with the number of humans (statement of the obvious number one). Countries with a lot of humans will have more of an impact on climate than less populated countries (statement of the obvious number two). Canada has a lot of space and not many people.

Countries with a lot of people (see China, Pakistan, India) are building more coal-fired energy plants and producing a lot more greenhouse gases.

This is the politically inconvenient truth – when it comes to heating up the planet, Canada doesn’t matter much.

Given that reality, it would be smart for those tasked with crafting Canada’s response to global warming to demonstrate a little humility.

This isn’t about saving the planet. It’s about using energy efficiently and adapting to a changing climate. But, humility, rational thought and substance are the antithesis of political campaigns.

In place of substantive debate over real problems this campaign will come down to two competing strategies.

The red team will work tirelessly to paint Andrew Scheer as a crazed, right wing lunatic. That isn’t an easy task, but it’s the only arrow they have in their quiver.

It is difficult for the red team to make election promises. Heck, it broke all the ones it made in the last election (unless, of course, the budget balances itself over the next two months).

The blue team will be busy reminding folks of Justin Trudeau’s costume party in India. It will undoubtedly point out the final score in the Lavscam affair is Jody Wilson-raybould and Jane Philpott are out and Gerald Butts is back in. Boys win.

I like the blue team’s chances in this one, but it isn’t going to be pretty.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 3rd, 2019, 7:02 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 24th, 2015, 7:57 pm
Posts: 24637
Australians woke up to the great Climate Change Hoax. The last election was declared by the left as an election about climate change.

They lost.

No carbon tax, no "targets" and no mass uptake of electric cars subsidised by taxpayers...and a warning that if any party wants to earn electoral success, they need to STFU about climate change. If they are THAT concerned, let them take their crusade to the major polluters of our atmosphere...and they are not in the West.

_________________
Just because I don't agree with you, it does not mean I hate you


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 5th, 2019, 12:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 16346
Bricktop wrote:
Australians woke up to the great Climate Change Hoax. The last election was declared by the left as an election about climate change.

They lost.

No carbon tax, no "targets" and no mass uptake of electric cars subsidised by taxpayers...and a warning that if any party wants to earn electoral success, they need to STFU about climate change. If they are THAT concerned, let them take their crusade to the major polluters of our atmosphere...and they are not in the West.

People in this country say they are concerned about climate change, but they don't want to do pay for it.

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 15th, 2019, 8:23 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12719
Stain only an election will wash away

All the virtue signalling, all the selfrighteous platitudes, all the holierthan-thou Conservative-bashing in the world won’t remove the terrible stain Justin Trudeau and his Liberal government must now wear.

in a scathing report released Wednesday, Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion laid bare the facts of the Snc-lavalin scandal.

The prime minister “directed his staff to find a solution that would safeguard Snclavalin’s business interests in Canada,” Dion said. in so doing Trudeau asked former attorney general and justice minister Jody Wilson-raybould to dabble politically in the administration of the law, Dion concluded.

This isn’t the first ethics scandal for Trudeau. He also contravened the rules on his vacation to the Aga Khan’s island.

Dion not only slammed Trudeau and senior staff in the PMO for attempting to contravene the vital principle of prosecutorial independence, but he also criticized this government’s secrecy in refusing to waive cabinet confidentiality and release documents to him for the inquiry.

“i am convinced that if our office is to remain truly independent and fulfill its purpose, i must have unfettered access to all information that could be relevant to the exercise of my mandate,” he wrote.

So not only did Trudeau and his buddies break the law, they muddied the water further by refusing to release cabinet deliberations on the matter.

Yes, we understand the principle of cabinet confidentiality. But Dion wasn’t asking to make the documents public. He wanted to read them himself in order to produce a full and fair report. He, too, is bound by confidentiality.

Trudeau’s response was troubling.

He took responsibility — but wouldn’t apologize. it’s as if he still doesn’t understand where he went wrong. He justified his actions, saying he was protecting Canadian jobs. That’s not good enough. There’s no justification for undermining the law. SNC Lavalin is facing fraud and bribery charges related to millions of dollars in payments to public officials in Libya.

We won’t waste space calling for Trudeau and his government to resign — although if a Conservative PM behaved this way, there’d be screams for his head. Ten weeks before a federal election, we believe voters will read this damning report and fire Trudeau.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 15th, 2019, 9:19 am 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 16346
Shame on anyone who isn't an elitist prog who votes for Justine.

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 15th, 2019, 12:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 15th, 2018, 11:04 am
Posts: 2129
seoulbro wrote:
Stain only an election will wash away

All the virtue signalling, all the selfrighteous platitudes, all the holierthan-thou Conservative-bashing in the world won’t remove the terrible stain Justin Trudeau and his Liberal government must now wear.

in a scathing report released Wednesday, Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion laid bare the facts of the Snc-lavalin scandal.

The prime minister “directed his staff to find a solution that would safeguard Snclavalin’s business interests in Canada,” Dion said. in so doing Trudeau asked former attorney general and justice minister Jody Wilson-raybould to dabble politically in the administration of the law, Dion concluded.

This isn’t the first ethics scandal for Trudeau. He also contravened the rules on his vacation to the Aga Khan’s island.

Dion not only slammed Trudeau and senior staff in the PMO for attempting to contravene the vital principle of prosecutorial independence, but he also criticized this government’s secrecy in refusing to waive cabinet confidentiality and release documents to him for the inquiry.

“i am convinced that if our office is to remain truly independent and fulfill its purpose, i must have unfettered access to all information that could be relevant to the exercise of my mandate,” he wrote.

So not only did Trudeau and his buddies break the law, they muddied the water further by refusing to release cabinet deliberations on the matter.

Yes, we understand the principle of cabinet confidentiality. But Dion wasn’t asking to make the documents public. He wanted to read them himself in order to produce a full and fair report. He, too, is bound by confidentiality.

Trudeau’s response was troubling.

He took responsibility — but wouldn’t apologize. it’s as if he still doesn’t understand where he went wrong. He justified his actions, saying he was protecting Canadian jobs. That’s not good enough. There’s no justification for undermining the law. SNC Lavalin is facing fraud and bribery charges related to millions of dollars in payments to public officials in Libya.

We won’t waste space calling for Trudeau and his government to resign — although if a Conservative PM behaved this way, there’d be screams for his head. Ten weeks before a federal election, we believe voters will read this damning report and fire Trudeau.

I cannot believe this is happening in Canada.

_________________
The Russian Rock It


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 15th, 2019, 1:33 pm 
User avatar

Joined: October 6th, 2012, 1:53 pm
Posts: 6889
Scandalous indeed. ac_biggrin

_________________
@realAzhyaAryola

Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don't take it so seriously.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 15th, 2019, 2:24 pm 

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 41385
Gaon wrote:
seoulbro wrote:
Stain only an election will wash away

All the virtue signalling, all the selfrighteous platitudes, all the holierthan-thou Conservative-bashing in the world won’t remove the terrible stain Justin Trudeau and his Liberal government must now wear.

in a scathing report released Wednesday, Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion laid bare the facts of the Snc-lavalin scandal.

The prime minister “directed his staff to find a solution that would safeguard Snclavalin’s business interests in Canada,” Dion said. in so doing Trudeau asked former attorney general and justice minister Jody Wilson-raybould to dabble politically in the administration of the law, Dion concluded.

This isn’t the first ethics scandal for Trudeau. He also contravened the rules on his vacation to the Aga Khan’s island.

Dion not only slammed Trudeau and senior staff in the PMO for attempting to contravene the vital principle of prosecutorial independence, but he also criticized this government’s secrecy in refusing to waive cabinet confidentiality and release documents to him for the inquiry.

“i am convinced that if our office is to remain truly independent and fulfill its purpose, i must have unfettered access to all information that could be relevant to the exercise of my mandate,” he wrote.

So not only did Trudeau and his buddies break the law, they muddied the water further by refusing to release cabinet deliberations on the matter.

Yes, we understand the principle of cabinet confidentiality. But Dion wasn’t asking to make the documents public. He wanted to read them himself in order to produce a full and fair report. He, too, is bound by confidentiality.

Trudeau’s response was troubling.

He took responsibility — but wouldn’t apologize. it’s as if he still doesn’t understand where he went wrong. He justified his actions, saying he was protecting Canadian jobs. That’s not good enough. There’s no justification for undermining the law. SNC Lavalin is facing fraud and bribery charges related to millions of dollars in payments to public officials in Libya.

We won’t waste space calling for Trudeau and his government to resign — although if a Conservative PM behaved this way, there’d be screams for his head. Ten weeks before a federal election, we believe voters will read this damning report and fire Trudeau.

I cannot believe this is happening in Canada.

It's unprecedented.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 16th, 2019, 3:07 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 15th, 2018, 11:04 am
Posts: 2129
@realAzhyaAryola wrote:
Scandalous indeed. ac_biggrin

Israelis are gradually becoming aware of this.

_________________
The Russian Rock It


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 18th, 2019, 9:22 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12719
It's about time. We need an organization that can counter the TIDES foundation's propaganda.

OIL INFLUENCE
CAPP registers as political third-party ahead of October federal election

The lobby group that represents Canada’s oil sector has registered for the first time as a political third party, stepping up its advocacy efforts ahead of October’s federal election.

The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) told Postmedia it’s not aligned with any specific party. But changes to the Canada Elections Act mean it must register if it’s to discuss, during the writ period, issues that could be associated with a particular candidate.

“Given that energy remains one of the top issues being discussed by political leaders, we registered as a third party to allow us to represent our members on key issues that impact the oil and natural gas industry,” media relations manager Jay Averill said in an email.

The move comes after three Alberta-based oil companies took out ads in major newspapers earlier this month.

Canadian Natural Resources, Cenovus Energy and MEG Energy co-signed an open letter urging Canadians to consider the 30 per cent reduction in emission intensity from the oilsands during the past 20 years.

Although CAPP wasn’t part of that effort, Averill said the open letter was “a great way to speak directly to Canadians.”

“The world needs more Canadian energy and it’s time to step up and deliver that message,” he said.

It’s something Canadians can expect to see more of in the coming months.

On Page 99 of its election platform, the UCP promised it would ask the energy industry to “significantly increase its advocacy efforts.”

Christine Myatt, Premier Jason Kenney’s press secretary, said Kenney and Energy Minister Sonya Savage have met with oil and gas companies over the past several months and encouraged them to talk more about their industry.

“These were productive conversations and we have found the Alberta energy industry is enthusiastically on the same page,” Myatt said in an email.

It’s not as though the energy sector lacks the resources to speak for itself, with operating profits increasing by $1.6 billion in the first quarter of 2019.

Thanks to rising oil prices, the sector went from a $678 million loss in the fourth quarter of 2018 to a profit of $909 million, according to Statistics Canada.

Cenovus spokesperson Rhona Delfrari told Postmedia the recent ads were in the works before the provincial election, and had nothing to do with Kenney’s request that the oil and gas sector speak up.

“That said, we agree with the premier that the oil and gas industry has been a bit more silent than we should be,” Delfrari said in an interview.

She noted the past 10 years has seen an increased focus on environmental, social and governance issues in the sector.

“This industry has always had the opinion that as long as we’re doing things the right way and developing the resource responsibly ... we don’t probably need to be out there boasting about our excellent performance because we’re delivering on it,” Delfrari said.

“Maybe that assumption wasn’t necessarily the right one.”

Delfrari said although no more ads have been booked, her sector needs to do a better job helping bureaucrats and politicians of all stripes understand the industry.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 21st, 2019, 5:51 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12719
Liberals, Tories essentially tied after damning SNC-Lavalin ethics report: Ipsos

It appears the damning report last week that found Prime Minister Justin Trudeau broke federal ethics rules with his political interference in the SNC-Lavalin scandal isn’t resonating much with voters.

A new Ipsos poll conducted exclusively for Global News suggests the Liberals and Conservatives are in a virtual dead heat, with the Grits up two points since last month to 33 per cent of the decided vote and the Tories at 35 per cent, a two-point drop.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5784890/snc- ... psos-poll/

The Dion report has not moved the needle against Trudeau. He will be reelected.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 21st, 2019, 6:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 16346
seoulbro wrote:
Liberals, Tories essentially tied after damning SNC-Lavalin ethics report: Ipsos

It appears the damning report last week that found Prime Minister Justin Trudeau broke federal ethics rules with his political interference in the SNC-Lavalin scandal isn’t resonating much with voters.

A new Ipsos poll conducted exclusively for Global News suggests the Liberals and Conservatives are in a virtual dead heat, with the Grits up two points since last month to 33 per cent of the decided vote and the Tories at 35 per cent, a two-point drop.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5784890/snc- ... psos-poll/

The Dion report has not moved the needle against Trudeau. He will be reelected.

I knew the report would not make a difference.

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 7:06 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 1st, 2016, 6:51 pm
Posts: 8676
seoulbro wrote:
Liberals, Tories essentially tied after damning SNC-Lavalin ethics report: Ipsos

It appears the damning report last week that found Prime Minister Justin Trudeau broke federal ethics rules with his political interference in the SNC-Lavalin scandal isn’t resonating much with voters.

A new Ipsos poll conducted exclusively for Global News suggests the Liberals and Conservatives are in a virtual dead heat, with the Grits up two points since last month to 33 per cent of the decided vote and the Tories at 35 per cent, a two-point drop.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5784890/snc- ... psos-poll/

The Dion report has not moved the needle against Trudeau. He will be reelected.

God help blue collar workers in this country if Trudeau is reelected.

_________________
“No issue better illustrates the divide between America’s working class and America’s political class than illegal immigration- Donald J. Trump.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: August 28th, 2019, 1:16 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12719
Image
A group that started with the goal of defeating Liberals in Western Canada has landed in Ontario.

the Canada growth Council, a free market advocacy group, has launched a series of billboards throughout southern Ontario aimed at convincing voters not to vote for Justin trudeau and his Liberals.

“Would I hire this person that doesn’t keep any promises and has two ethics violations?” spokesman derek Robinson said of trudeau.

the group is running two different billboard messages at 38 locations in the gta as well as the Hamilton-niagara area.

One reads: “Firing strong Women, trudeau Must go.”

that billboard features a photo of trudeau in the background with former cabinet ministers Jody Wilson-raybould and Jane Philpott in front of him.

the second message simply shows trudeau alone with the caption: “We can’t afford 4 more years.”

the registered third party started their campaign, which includes digital ads and flyers mailed to homes, in Regina to target lone Liberal Ralph goodale. they have 10 billboards in that city, 10 in Winnipeg, 10 in Calgary and 16 in edmonton.

the move into Ontario came about because so many Westerners feel their ballots won’t matter if Ontario votes for trudeau.

Robinson said in an interview that his message is simple: trudeau has broken too many promises.

“He promised to lower taxes for the middle class and that hasn’t happened at all. He’s failed to keep a number of promises from balanced budget to electoral reform, working with the provinces on climate change — the list goes on,” Robinson said.

the billboards in Ontario target areas where the Liberals are vulnerable.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 9:19 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12719
Voters want change
But Canadians are not keen on the alternatives


There is a yearning among voters for a change of prime minister. The problem? There is no obvious alternative to incumbent Justin Trudeau.

In an Angus Reid poll this week, just 13% of respondents expressed any real enthusiasm for a Trudeau second term. That means Trudeau is only one-third as popular as his party, which also means even a lot of Liberals would rather not re-elect him.

And Trudeau had the highest unfavourable rating (63%) among the five party leaders in English Canada.

Who can blame voters? Trudeau has been a buffoon, a bully, a phoney and a serial ethics offender.


Still, there is no other leader Canadians seem able to picture as prime minister.

Pollster Reid found every other party leader, except the Greens’ Elizabeth May, had an unfavourable rating — just not one as bad as Trudeau’s.

The People’s Party of Canada’s Maxime Bernier was seen unfavourably by 60% of voters, the Conservatives’ Andrew Scheer by 52% and the NDPS’ Jagmeet Singh by 51%.

Elizabeth May was liked and disliked by equal numbers of voters — 42% each.

Singh, May and Bernier do not lead parties capable of winning government. Holding the balance of power in a minority Parliament? Sure. But not government.

Singh has been a bust. Bernier is very smart, but is perceived as a wingnut. And May comes across as the sour woman at the passport office who rejects your application because you look as if you were trying to smile in your photo.

That leaves Scheer.

Scheer is a very clever politician and a decent human being. Of the five, I think he has had the best campaign ads to date — the ones in which he is walking through a working-class neighbourhood in Regina and claims to understand the concerns of Canadians who live in such places because that is where he grew up.

And the Conservatives have the best campaign slogan, “It’s time for you to get ahead.”

There’s a risk voters will think it is too much like the Liberals’ focus on the middle class in 2015. And they may be put off because they will wonder whether the Tories are just as likely to fail them as the Liberals have.

Still, “It’s time for you to get ahead” is significantly better than the Liberals’ “Choose Forward.” Huh!? What does that even mean? Is it a vapid way of urging “Don’t look back at our record. We’ll never get re-elected if you do that!”

Since the beginning of the year, over five dozen polls have shown the Conservatives ahead. The Liberals lead in only about a dozen.

My big concern, though, is that between now and the Oct. 21 election, the Liberals will mount the dirtiest, most-fear-mongering campaign in Canadian history and will sow enough doubt in the minds of late-deciding, urban, millennial voters to hang on to at least a minority share of power.

I like Scheer. And the Conservatives have a very experienced campaign team. But when I watch Scheer in campaign ads I have a hard time visualizing him as prime minister.

His performance in interviews has been even worse. When asked about Liberal attacks on him on issues such as abortion and same-sex marriage, Scheer has fumbled and bumbled around leaving exactly the impression the Liberals want — that he really does have a hidden agenda to roll back rights.

Justin Trudeau is unpopular. His failures on electoral reform, the economy, the budget and foreign affairs, plus his insincerity on women’s issues and Indigenous reconciliation have earned him a one-term departure.

But I worry a lot of voters will wonder, “Who else?”

“The Liberals will mount the dirtiest, most-fearmongering campaign in Canadian history.”

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 9:28 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12719
I find it hilarious that the slogan for the Liberal party in the next election is “choose forward” Yes ... “choose forward”. Canada has been going backwards at an uncontrollable speed for the last four years under the Trudeau government. Now they want Canada to choose forward? Massive debt, scandals, border crisis with immigration, loss of international sales, taxes, and tax increases, tweets to invite terrorists, all indicators of going forward. The slogan “choose forward” is actually a plug for the PCS, even if the Liberals do not realize. Perhaps there should be a question mark behind it? Or a picture of Omar Khadr on a Canadian flag to round this all out. Sunny Ways (or should I say Shady Ways) and his band of minions really did it right this time, as always. Keep up the always less than expected goals and achievements. Of course, Quebec will jump all over this and hold it dear to their hearts.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next

All times are UTC-08:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
phpBB SEO
[ GZIP: On ]