It is currently December 9th, 2019, 6:03 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
Unread postPosted: September 10th, 2019, 9:48 am 

Trudeau will win a second majority government. The NDP is in free fall, now slipping to fourth place.

Liberals have room to breathe in latest national poll, while NDP tumble to fourth
https://ipolitics.ca/2019/09/10/liberal ... to-fourth/

Unread postPosted: September 11th, 2019, 9:19 am 

Federal election 2019 is officially underway.

Unread postPosted: September 11th, 2019, 10:21 am 

I hate to say it, but the Tories will actually have fewer seats in Ontario this election compared to 2015.

By Brian Lilley of Sun News Media

ARE YOU BETTER OFF?
This election is personal

So, the election is officially underway: The question is, what is it all about?

If you follow Canadian politics on Twitter, then you know that this election is about abortion or is it reopening same-sex marriage, or is it about whose family had more money growing up? That’s what the parties are arguing about on social media.

Yet, that isn’t what most Canadians will be thinking about when they cast their ballots on Oct. 21.

Most people will be thinking about questions closer to home.

In the 1980 American presidential race, Ronald Reagan famously asked the question that best sums up what most voters are thinking.

“Are you better off than you were four years ago?” Reagan asked during a debate against President Jimmy Carter.

The American people obviously felt they weren’t and turfed Carter in favour of Reagan.

It’s the same thing here in Canada.

The Conservative slogan is “It’s time for you to get ahead.” The NDP has chosen, “In it for you.” Both slogans play off the idea that the little guy is being left behind.

The Liberals meanwhile have selected, “Choose forward,” as their campaign slogan. Sure they keep looking back to 15 year-old videos of Andrew Scheer or spend an inordinate amount of time invoking Stephen Harper, but they say they want to look forward.

In some ways, the Liberals should have it easy, unemployment in much of the country is low. They can point to more than 1 million jobs created since they took office. That’s some achievement. Yet, the Canadian economy lags others, like the United States. Globally, we could be on the brink of recession with worrying signs in Europe and China. And against that backdrop, Canada has already spent all the money in the cookie jar.

The three years of small deficits that Justin Trudeau promised during the last election turned out to be much bigger than expected and will last much longer than three years. The finance department estimates that without changes, we will have deficit spending until 2040.

Can we really be ready to spend our way out of a recession when we already had to spend our way into kinda-but-not-really-good economic times?

Maybe that is why poll after poll shows Canadians feeling anxious about their own place in the economy, their future job prospects, the prospects of their children.

It’s no mistake that the Conservatives and NDP have seized on the themes they have. You don’t need to be an unemployed oil worker in Alberta to feel the anxiety so many families are grappling with.

The Liberals will push back with statistic after statistic as they try to explain that we’ve never had it so good. Here’s the reality, feelings trump statistics and just because a stat says the overall economy is doing well doesn’t mean you or your family are benefitting.

There will be fights and online brawls over a whole host of issues, some real and some fake, over the coming weeks. I’m sure we will see all sides call each other unspeakable names and accuse each other of horrible things.

That will be the sideshow, the attempt to distract from the real issues and the main question that each of us will be asking as we consider our ballot.

Are we better off than we were four years ago?

I know my answer.

Unread postPosted: September 11th, 2019, 6:27 pm 

What? No MAGA rallies in Canada? ac_toofunny

Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don't take it so seriously.

Unread postPosted: September 11th, 2019, 6:28 pm 

@realAzhyaAryola wrote:
What? No MAGA rallies in Canada? ac_toofunny

Maybe where Max Bernier speaks.

Unread postPosted: September 12th, 2019, 5:22 pm 

Doofuss is a no-show for tonight's debate - only 3 people there

WTF is that about??????????????????????????

Unread postPosted: September 12th, 2019, 5:39 pm 

cc wrote:
Doofuss is a no-show for tonight's debate - only 3 people there

WTF is that about??????????????????????????

I just started watching it..

Elizabeth May and Jagmeet Singh are giving all kinds of excuses why pipelines are bad for Canada.

Unread postPosted: September 14th, 2019, 9:22 am 

While I am not a Conservative or a member of any other party for that matter, I am a free market, small government, liberty loving conservative. Scheer is far from perfect and not that conservative, but he is not deliberately destructive like the alternatives.

In this election, vote for Conservative party.

By Andrew Scheer, leader of the federal Conservative party

Stop the struggle
Tories ready to make your life more affordable

This election is finally about you.

After four years of being neglected and ignored, you have the opportunity to take the stage and be heard.

I hear it every single day. Canadians are working harder, playing by the rules, but are just getting by. Every single month is more of a struggle to get ahead. The bills are piling up — rent, mortgage, hydro, home heating and credit cards — and you watch as the government keeps raising taxes even higher.

Nearly half of all Canadians are less than $200 away from insolvency at the end of every month, and the third of Canadians that can cover their monthly expenses are falling further into debt.

But Justin Trudeau isn’t worried about you, and he definitely doesn’t understand the struggles you face. I do. Growing up, my family sat around the kitchen table and made the difficult decisions you all make on a daily basis.

For the commuters, entrepreneurs, job creators, seniors, farmers and hard-working people on the factory floors, the last four years have been nothing but hard work and higher taxes, mounting bills and broken promises.

What’s worse? If Trudeau is given another four years, the Liberals are just going to keep raising your taxes and making life more expensive for everyday, hard-working families.

A new Conservative government will live within its means to leave more money in your pocket so that you can get ahead.

We will scrap the carbon tax to lower the price of gasoline and make everyday essentials more affordable.

We will take the GST off home heating to lower your home heating costs during the long winters.

We will make maternity benefits tax-free so new parents can worry less about their bottom line and bank accounts.

And we will show leadership here at home and abroad so a new Conservative government can proudly fight for Canadian jobs and interests around the world.

Our friends, neighbours, colleagues and families are real people with real struggles.

This is who a new Conservative government is fighting for this election.

It’s clear that the only people who get ahead under Trudeau are the Liberal insiders, high-powered lobbyists, and elites hitting the cocktail circuit — the people who skip the line and push you out because they get a special deal.

Since 2015, Trudeau has fired whistleblowers, let corporate lobbyists write the laws, and has broken laws to help his friends escape convictions. Canadians learned this week that not only are the RCMP looking into obstruction of justice charges, but Justin Trudeau is getting in the way of finding the truth.

When Trudeau was elected, he promised to be different. He said he would help the middle class, but instead he raised taxes on over 80% of middle-class Canadians. He imposed a carbon tax that makes everything more expensive, from home heating to gasoline and groceries. He’s also made it more expensive to put your kids in dance, soccer practice and other after school activities.

Despite all the poor judgment, scandals, and difficulties over the last four years, I am an optimist. I have a plan and the right policies to put more money in your pocket to help you get ahead.

I cannot wait to share my positive vision for Canada across the country and tell you how a new Conservative government will help make life more affordable so you can build the life that you want.

Editor’s note: The Sun has offered column space to all of the major political party leaders to make their pitch to you, the voter

Unread postPosted: September 14th, 2019, 5:35 pm 

If the conservative party cannot turf Trudeau, then they are not doing their job.

Unread postPosted: September 14th, 2019, 6:18 pm 

Bricktop wrote:
If the conservative party cannot turf Trudeau, then they are not doing their job.

They have a nice, but ineffective leader.

Unread postPosted: September 14th, 2019, 6:57 pm 

We attended the town hall meeting of the member of legislative assembly for our province to hear updates and to hear his answers to questions from his constituents. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I enjoyed the cookies but the coffee was not hot. :laugh:

Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don't take it so seriously.

Unread postPosted: September 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm 

@realAzhyaAryola wrote:
We attended the town hall meeting of the member of legislative assembly for our province to hear updates and to hear his answers to questions from his constituents. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I enjoyed the cookies but the coffee was not hot. :laugh:

Our MLA held one of those too..

My husband went to it, but I didn't..

The government of Alberta has a plan B if Trudeau is reelected and continues his war on Alberta.

Unread postPosted: September 15th, 2019, 2:16 pm 

Some common sense considerations before Canadians cast their ballots in next month's federal election.

CAMPAIGN COVERAGE
Canadians should measure candidates by their interests

Over the next 37 days, Canadians will decide who forms our next government. It’s no easy task.

Each party leader will vie for your attention, to pitch you on the super-deluxe deal they’re selling — all for the cost of just one teeny-tiny X on your ballot.

They’ll try to steer your attention in the direction they want you to look.

We recommend voters take a different approach.

Think, first, about what you want from your federal government.

What’s in your interest? Then, compare what you learn about each party’s policies, leader’s promises, et cetera, against your best interests. Choose what works best for you.

That’s what we’re planning to do.

Rather than slavishly following party leaders around the country and reporting every statement they utter, every speech they give and promise they make, we will sift through their ideas and identify those that affect your interests. Positively or negatively — you decide.

We’ve talked to readers, to experts and to regular Canadians from coast to coast to identify five key interests most Canadians share. We will map campaign promises against these key interests and dive more deeply into one of them each weekend.

These are the five key interests most Canadians should keep in mind as they decide who gets their vote.

1. Affordability

“I want a life I can afford to enjoy.”

Canadians want to earn a decent living without having to work so long and so hard they can’t enjoy life. They don’t need to be rich, but they want to have some simple pleasures that used to be commonplace — like taking regular family vacations. They want to live in a house that’s comfortable for their needs. They want their kids to grow up with the same opportunities they had.

Related issues that affect this key interest:

Jobs and the economy — including deficits, debt, employment and labour force participation. Taxes. Government spending. Housing policy. Transportation.

2. HEALTH, ENVIRONMENT

“I want my family to be healthy — the Earth, too.”

Canadians want to keep their families healthy and fit. When someone’s sick, they want them to get well. That means access to the best health care available when they need it, without going broke paying for it. They want their kids, grandkids and their kids’ grandkids to live in a world just as healthy, vibrant and sustaining as the one they grew up in. They’re committed to taking measures that will keep the world healthy — so long as those steps don’t destroy their lives today, in hope of a better future they won’t enjoy. Related issues include: Balancing long-term and short-term pain

(e.g. carbon tax).

Protecting credible science and legitimate expertise. Energy policy. Health-care policy (including pharmacare, seniors, waiting times, quality of care).

3. Security

“I want to keep my family safe.”

Canadians want their families to be free from crime and violence.

They want to live in a world where their personal values are protected.

They want people in other places to enjoy the same lifestyle and freedoms they do, if that’s what those people want. Related issues include: Defence of Canada and North America (from military, terrorist, cyber threats, espionage, et cetera).

Protecting Canadian interests abroad.

Projecting Canadian values abroad. Border management. Reducing crime — especially violent and gang-based crime.

Ensuring public safety during natural and man-made crises.

4. RESPONSIBLE Gov’t

“I want a government that works for me.”

Canadians want government to focus on the issues important to them — and to make decisions that benefit them. They want government to understand their needs and to heed their concerns. They do not want government to think it “knows better” than they do what’s in their self-interest. They want practical programs that deliver tangible benefits in the world that is — not theories that shape a hypothetical world that could be. Related issues include: Accountability (not just at election time).

Understanding our needs and working in our interest (as we define it).

Delivering practical changes that make our lives measurably better.

Honesty, lawfulness and ethics.

Transparent decision-making.

Fair treatment for all without favouring a connected few.

5. CANADIAN identity

“I want a government that shares my view of Canada.”

Canadians want a government committed to protecting and promoting the type of Canada they want to live in. They want a government that shares their pride in Canada and what it stands for. Related issues include: National pride. Diversity and unity. Prejudice and hate. Immigration. Freedom.

Human rights, religious rights, equality.

Unread postPosted: September 15th, 2019, 5:34 pm 

All five of those are important to me. But, instead we have the leader of the Green party shilling for the dishonest IPCC.

I hate Trudeau, but I don't like the alternatives either. And in the case of the Greens, they are far worse than Trudeau. This country is screwed. And the next government will be the last full term that I am in Canada.

Unread postPosted: September 16th, 2019, 1:26 pm 

What the media isn’t covering during this election

Andrew MacDougall: Andrew Scheer’s ‘Universal Tax Cut’ is his biggest policy announcement to date, and it’s not all obvious that it even happened

Andrew Scheer dropped the biggest policy announcement of the campaign to date—and it’s not at all obvious that it even happened. At time of writing, there are currently 18 stories on the popular National Newswatch website that appear before the first story on Andrew Scheer’s proposed “Universal Tax Cut” announced yesterday, which proposes to cut the tax rate on taxable income under $47,630 to 13.75 per cent from 15 per cent, a savings worth hundreds of dollars to the average family. This sounds like something you—the voter—might wish to know about, right? But unless you scroll and look for the small print you’re likely to miss it.

Meanwhile, the lead item on Newswatch is a CBC story about a NDP candidate in Quebec who used to be a Green replacing an NDPer who defected to the Greens. That’s certainly news you can use if you live in Longueil-Saint-Hubert but it means sweet nothing to the other 307 constituencies in the country. Why should a national reporter—to say nothing about a national audience—care? And the second most prominent item on the site is an update to a tracking poll. In other words, they’re stories for the inside crowd.
https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/what-th ... ction_2019

This is the biggest policy announcement of this election and the media is not reporting it.

Unread postPosted: September 16th, 2019, 1:36 pm 

Scheer’s tax cut a breath of fresh air

Canadians pay a lot of taxes. A whole lot of taxes. So much so that, according to the Fraser Institute’s Tax Freedom Day report, we shelled out 44.7% of our income on various taxes.

This isn’t just income taxes, of course. It includes the averages of all the many other taxes Canadians pay out — sales tax, gas tax, sin taxes and so on.

Still, that’s a lot. Almost half of our income on taxes. It makes you begin to wonder who you’re out there working to support: Your family or the government?

We hope the politicians will rush to ensure us that the point of our existence isn’t simply to toss money into their coffers. We hope.

The 2019 federal election campaign has so far proven to feature little discussion of tax relief.

It’s true that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau lowered one of the middleclass income brackets early in his term and that he considerably enhanced the child benefit payments from what former prime minister Stephen Harper had introduced.

But a subsequent report — also by the Fraser Institute — reveals that those forms of tax reliefs didn’t amount to all that much because, after all the other tax changes by Trudeau were factored in, 80% of middle-class Canadians are now paying higher taxes, not less.

The first week of the federal election campaign has been focused on Lavscam and stories about improper remarks candidates had made online, sometimes many years ago.

By all means, cover these issues — especially Lavscam, which may still result in obstruction of justice charges.

But whatever happens on these files, life continues for the middle-class. That’s why tax relief needs to be front and centre.

Enter Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer. On Sunday, the Conservatives proposed a universal tax cut, which — according to their press release — means “the tax rate on income under $47,630 will be reduced from 15% to 13.75%. This will allow an individual taxpayer to save as much as $440 on their taxes. A two-income couple earning an average salary would save over $850 per year.”

It’s nice to see a party finally offer up an idea that will result in more money in regular Canadians’ pockets. More of this, from all the parties, please.

Unread postPosted: September 16th, 2019, 6:12 pm 

Both China and India are interfering in our federal election.

Canada's intelligence services are carefully monitoring the threat of agents of the Chinese and Indian governments working with diaspora communities here to influence the upcoming federal election, according to a number of sources who have been briefed on their activities.

Those sources — who spoke to CBC on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the record — also said intelligence services are monitoring efforts by Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Venezuela to influence the election campaign, while an integrated intelligence unit has been giving political parties bi-weekly briefings about foreign actors' activities in Canada.

The government and intelligence sources said one of the ways foreign countries go about pushing their agenda in Canada is by attending nomination meetings to help select candidates favourable to their causes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/china- ... -1.5284473

Unread postPosted: September 22nd, 2019, 5:48 pm 

If you need another reason not to vote for our inept, corrupt habitual liar of a pm, here is a big one.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/the-t ... pSknUnsNpU
The Trudeau government is surveilling your social media for anti-immigrant and anti-Trudeau views

According to internal emails obtained by True North from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, the Trudeau government appointed a team of staffers to surveil the comments of Canadians for “bigoted” immigration criticism.

A total of 12 “communications and social media staffers” were involved in a “social care” team which was tasked with surveilling tweets and Reddit posts by Canadian citizens.
Among those surveilled were Conservative Party leader Andrew Scheer, Conservative Immigration Critic Michelle Rempel, and People’s Party of Canada leader Maxime Bernier.

On one Reddit thread regarding Toronto hotels housing irregular border crossers, the group scanned comments and noted the anti-Trudeau views of the Canadians involved.

“The comments are unfavorable to the Prime Minister and government, and are also very un-sympathetic (sic) to those claiming asylum. … [The thread] had become bigoted in nature. The vast majority of popular comments were extremely negative in tone,” said one email.

The committee’s surveillance findings were forwarded to the Privy Council Office as well as the deputy minister in the immigration ministry.

Documents also included several pages of tweets by Canadians which were critical of the government’s handling of immigration with labels like “Condemnation of the Trudeau government.”

The government’s database includes all of the tweets which are tagged @MaximeBernier and the immigration department’s official Twitter handle.

It is unclear how the government is using the data being collected about the activities of Canadians on social media.

Unread postPosted: September 22nd, 2019, 6:27 pm 

Unread postPosted: September 25th, 2019, 10:47 am 

But, our rock star wannabe pm will get away with it.

LIBERAL CAMPAIGN FLOUNDERS
Trudeau fails to change the channel after blackface scandal

If Justin Trudeau and the Liberals want to change the channel on how many times he’s dressed up in what even he described as racist blackface costumes, he’s going about it in a strange way.

For the fourth straight day of campaigning, the Liberals made bold policy announcements with about as much detail as his answers about his blackface costumes are vague.

“We’ll ban military assault rifles!” declare the Liberals.

OK, how? The basic answer is that they will get back to us.

“We’ll cut your cellphone bill!” the Liberals announce.

I like that, but how? Well, don’t worry about the details, they don’t have any.

They’ve done the same with their promise to bring in greater mental health coverage, national pharmacare, and making Canada a country with net zero carbon emissions by 2050.

These are all grand plans, but when you ask Trudeau directly — or his Liberal handlers in the background — on how these proposals will be accomplished, they mutter things about consultations and working with the provinces.

Like I said, it’s like asking Trudeau about blackface — it’s all so vague.

Asked directly on Monday what his costume was in the video obtained by Global, Trudeau simply replied that he was being “open with Canadians.”

Asked on Tuesday how he was being “open” when he refused to answer reporters’ questions on this file, Trudeau didn’t answer and instead remarked that there was no situation where his costume would be appropriate.

Anybody with a brain knows that — except, it seems, Justin Trudeau — who put on blackface, wore a T-shirt with bananas on it, shoved a large object down the front of his pants and acted like he was an ape.

In the ’90s, we all knew acting like that was racist.

Trudeau doesn’t want to talk about blackface — he wants us to move on.

He’d prefer we all talk about his policy proposals, but won’t give any details, so we come back to blackface.

Even the locations chosen for the Liberal party’s campaign announcements seemed a little strange.

On Wednesday, Trudeau was in Burnaby, B.C. — the riding held by NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh — to make his short-on-details climate announcement.

He flew across the country to make a climate announcement, and was visiting the riding of a rival to say that Canadians need to vote for him to save the planet.

If this is your issue, do you trust Justin Trudeau?

After denouncing the climate targets chosen by the former Harper government when he was in opposition, Trudeau adopted them when he became prime minister.

He didn’t even deliver on the targets he had once said were too low.

The exact location of the announcement, Burnaby, is a Vancouver suburb that opposes the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

The NDP released a rapid-fire response with clear wit.

“You. Bought. A. Pipeline,” the NDP said in their release.

That was the entirety of the message.

The Liberals started this campaign acting like they were the clear front-runners even though it’s not clear they were.

They attacked their opposition on the past musings of candidates at every turn, and did so viciously.

Now that their own leader has been found to have dressed up in a racist outfit at least three times — there could be more — they’ve suddenly stopped attacking the other parties.

In place of that though, they don’t know what to do.

The Liberal campaign is one is disarray. It’s reminding me of covering the Paul Martin Liberal campaign of 2005 — the last time the Liberals lost power.

I’m not saying they are at that level of disaster yet as they aren’t as panicked, but panicked they are.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next