It is currently December 14th, 2019, 10:12 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
Unread postPosted: November 26th, 2019, 9:19 am 

Biggest farce I've ever seen in American politics. Nearly the entire Dem party should be impeached.

Are thought crimes impeachable?

In the Ukrainian melodrama, Trump is accused of the thought crime of considering the withholding of military assistance unless Ukraine investigated possible Ukrainian tampering in the 2016 U.S. presidential election and also former vice-president Joe Biden’s intervention in Ukrainian politics on behalf of his son.

Biden had bragged at a Council on Foreign Relations conference that his threats to withhold non-military assistance to Ukraine led to the dismissal of a prosecutor, Viktor Shokin. It turns out Shokin may have been considering an investigation of the energy company where Biden’s son Hunter had been given a lucrative position on the board of directors.

Two questions arise from hours of impeachment inquiry testimony before the House Intelligence Committee: One, did Trump cut off military assistance, prompting the compliant Ukrainians to launch investigations to ensure that endangered military aid was not curtailed? Two, did Trump reverse prior U.S. foreign policy by cutting off military assistance, thus threatening the security of Ukraine?

Regarding question No. 1, military assistance was delivered to Ukraine after a delay. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy never announced investigations of the Bidens or election tampering.

In response to question No. 2, the Obama administration’s policy was to deny significant military assistance to Ukraine. Even non-military aid was apparently leveraged by Biden to force the Ukrainians to fire a prosecutor whose role in looking into Hunter Biden’s company is still murky.

In other words, Trump is accused of thinking about cutting off aid as a lever to force Ukrainian investigations. Yet the prior administration never extended significant military aid and threatened to cancel non-military aid over a bothersome prosecutor.

That disconnect prompts another question: Is thinking about cutting off military aid to Ukraine a greater crime than declining to provide Ukraine with significant military aid?

Trump is also accused of the thought crime of contemplating bribery. Critics allege that Trump wanted Ukraine to do him a “favour” of inestimable value by launching those investigations. Trump supposedly used the gifting power of the U.S. government to obtain a personal political benefit to his 2020 presidential candidacy.

But that premise is shaky on a number of grounds. Trump did not receive any such investigatory help from Ukraine. Yet even if Ukraine had announced the investigations that Trump had sought, the fact that Joe Biden chose to run for president in 2020 does not exempt him from government scrutiny of his suspect behavior with regard to Ukraine when he was vice president.

Both Democrats and Republicans seem to agree that corruption is endemic in Ukraine and demands constant vigilance as a condition for foreign aid. Moreover, the public did not learn about the bad optics of the Bidens in Ukraine from Trump-pressured Ukrainian leaks. Instead, Biden publicly bragged of his own clout in strong-arming the Ukrainians — and ostensibly about how tough he would be as a future president. Any benefit to Trump of showcasing Biden’s bad behavior came not from thinking about pressuring Ukraine, but from Biden’s own braggadocio.

Joe Biden, not Donald Trump, smeared Joe Biden’s reputation.

Trump has been accused of thought crimes, not actual crimes. Trump can be indiscreet, even crude, in his speech. But alleged bad thoughts are not crimes — at least not outside George Orwell’s dystopian novel 1984.

Unread postPosted: November 26th, 2019, 10:58 am 

The dumbocrats are not impeaching Trump. They are trying to rig 2020's election.

Unread postPosted: November 26th, 2019, 1:38 pm 

iron horse jockey wrote:
The dumbocrats are not impeaching Trump. They are trying to rig 2020's election.

They think the sheeple will follow them blindly. Wonder how that worked out for Hiliar.

Unread postPosted: November 26th, 2019, 2:12 pm 

I haven't been watching the impeachment proceedings..

And I read a lot of Americans aren't watching it either.

Unread postPosted: November 27th, 2019, 8:43 am 

iron horse jockey wrote:

How do you suppose they'll rig it?

Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don't take it so seriously.

Unread postPosted: November 28th, 2019, 12:38 am 

Launching all kinds of stupid bullshit on him... Trying to influence the voters psychologically..

Unread postPosted: November 28th, 2019, 5:53 am 

Odinson wrote:
Launching all kinds of stupid bullshit on him... Trying to influence the voters psychologically..

It'll be hard fight eelection with impeachment handing around his neck.

Unread postPosted: November 28th, 2019, 6:31 am 

Attempted coups in the US, in the form of criminals taking over more than one branch of the federal government, have happened before -- most notably in the 1870s and (more subtly) a hundred years ago in the Taft-Wilson-Harding-Coolidge-Hoover era. It takes a lot more than a single election to dig the country out of that kind of mess.

At present, the US first needs a moral and educational re-awakening of the electorate because the two-party system is hopelessly corrupted. Resistance against each party, both parties, needs to continue during a repair process that will take years, not just months. Otherwise the constitutional model will fail entirely and the oligarchy will get the autocracy they've been striving for.

To return to the Dumbocrats, proceeding with the impeachment is the best thing they have because it will help them with the next election. Whether or not it will make a difference in the country's future a decade from now, I can only guess.

Unread postPosted: November 28th, 2019, 12:42 pm 

I am glad to see Devin Nunes aint taking their shit.

Unread postPosted: December 3rd, 2019, 4:54 pm 

The impeachment scam aint working so well for Schitt and co.

https://homehealthcareall.gq/majority-b ... peachment/
Majority Believe That Media Is Colluding With Dems On Impeachment

Unread postPosted: December 4th, 2019, 12:02 pm 

The House Intelligence Committee has spoken.

Read it here, and weep.

https://intelligence.house.gov/report/

Unread postPosted: December 4th, 2019, 12:56 pm 

Read what and weep. This was decided as soon as Hillary lost the election.

Unread postPosted: December 4th, 2019, 2:01 pm 

Peaches wrote:
The House Intelligence Committee has spoken.

Read it here, and weep.

https://intelligence.house.gov/report/

I can't believe the American congress may impeach Trump and Trudeau received no punishment.

Unread postPosted: December 4th, 2019, 3:16 pm 

From Nikki Haley's Twitter:

I don’t believe the Dems are pushing these impeachment hearings because they believe they can defeat the Pres.I believe this is a political game to win senate seats of those senators in vulnerable http://elections.It is one of the biggest political campaigns we have ever seen

Unread postPosted: December 4th, 2019, 4:02 pm 

Unread postPosted: December 4th, 2019, 4:17 pm 

Matt Gaetz grills impeachment witnesses over Democratic donations, dig at Barron Trump

Unread postPosted: December 4th, 2019, 4:51 pm 

Unread postPosted: December 4th, 2019, 5:08 pm 

Unread postPosted: December 4th, 2019, 8:03 pm 

Herman wrote:

I know right!? Sons of fucking bitches.

Unread postPosted: December 4th, 2019, 11:20 pm 

Nadler sure changed his tune since the Clinton impeachment.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next