It is currently December 14th, 2017, 4:50 pm

All times are UTC-08:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
Unread postPosted: May 7th, 2017, 8:44 am 
User avatar

Joined: October 3rd, 2012, 8:12 pm
Posts: 18120
Premiums went up 24 per cent across the US. In Maryland it's up 50 per cent. The number of insurers keeps dropping Most counties in Iowa have no insurers at all. Even if Obamacare is maintained it needs fundamental changes or it will collapse.

_________________
The Iron Chink!!


Top
Unread postPosted: May 7th, 2017, 9:34 am 

Joined: January 27th, 2014, 12:36 pm
Posts: 22730
Shen Li wrote:
Premiums went up 24 per cent across the US. In Maryland it's up 50 per cent. The number of insurers keeps dropping Most counties in Iowa have no insurers at all. Even if Obamacare is maintained it needs fundamental changes or it will collapse.

The best solution, IMHO, is to get rid of insurance companies for basic care. Have them provide private or extended benefits.

They just signed or are in the midst of signing a new health act I believe.

_________________
Beware of Gaslighters!


Top
   
Unread postPosted: May 7th, 2017, 9:40 am 
User avatar

Joined: October 3rd, 2012, 8:12 pm
Posts: 18120
RW wrote:
Shen Li wrote:
Premiums went up 24 per cent across the US. In Maryland it's up 50 per cent. The number of insurers keeps dropping Most counties in Iowa have no insurers at all. Even if Obamacare is maintained it needs fundamental changes or it will collapse.

The best solution, IMHO, is to get rid of insurance companies for basic care. Have them provide private or extended benefits.

They just signed or are in the midst of signing a new health act I believe.

Many countries with better health care than Canada, like Japan for example use private insurers for basic care, so that isn't the problem. Health care is too expensive in the US, and it doesn't matter if it's private insurers or Medicare/Medicaid.

_________________
The Iron Chink!!


Top
Unread postPosted: May 7th, 2017, 9:51 am 

Joined: January 27th, 2014, 12:36 pm
Posts: 22730
It is expensive.

I was talking to an American who was fighting with insurance after denying coverage for her 2 year old who had to spend some time in ICU. The bill was $87,000 because he had to be sent to an urban centre. He was in hospital for 2 nights.

Despite facing a massive bill, she said that America relies on the funds to make many medical and drug advancements and that would suffer without the bloated costs.

_________________
Beware of Gaslighters!


Top
   
Unread postPosted: May 7th, 2017, 1:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 7155
Healthcare in the U.S. costs about twice as much as it does in any other developed country. If the $3 trillion U.S. healthcare sector were ranked as a country, it would be the world’s fifth largest economy according to “Consumer Reports."

Why is the U.S. paying so much more for care and not appearing at the top of the rankings? Here’s a look at six key reasons the U.S. is failing to provide adequate healthcare at reasonable prices.


1. Administrative Costs
The number one reason our healthcare costs are so high, says Harvard economist David Cutler, is that “the administrative costs of running our healthcare system are astronomical. About one quarter of healthcare cost is associated with administration, which is far higher than in any other country.”

One example Cutler brought up in a discussion on this topic with National Public Radio was the 1,300 billing clerks at Duke University Hospital, which has only 900 beds. Those billing specialists are needed to determine how to bill to meet the varying requirements of multiple insurers. Canada and other countries that have a single-payer system don’t require this level of staffing to administer healthcare.

2. Drug Costs
Another major difference in health costs between the U.S. and every other developed nation is the cost of drugs. The public definitely believes drug costs are unreasonable; now politicians are starting to believe that too. In most countries the government negotiates drug prices with the drug makers, but when Congress created Medicare Part D, it specifically denied Medicare the right to use its power to negotiate drug prices. The Veteran's Administration and Medicaid, which can negotiate drug prices, pay the lowest drug prices. The Congressional Budget Office has found that just by giving the low-income beneficiaries of Medicare Part D the same discount Medicaid recipients get, the federal government would save $116 billion over 10 years. Think of what the savings might be if all Medicare recipients could benefit from Medicaid-negotiated drug prices!

3. Defensive Medicine
Yet another big driver of the higher U.S. health insurance bill is the practice of defensive medicine. Doctors are afraid that they will get sued, so they order multiple tests even when they are certain they know what the diagnosis is. A Gallup survey estimated that $650 billion annually could be attributed to defensive medicine. Everyone pays the bill on this with higher insurance premiums, co-pays and out-of-pocket costs, as well as taxes that go toward paying for governmental healthcare programs.

4. Expensive Mix of Treatments
U.S. medical practitioners also tend to use a more expensive mix of treatments. When compared with other developed countries, for example, the U.S. uses three times as many mammograms, two-and-a-half times the number of MRIs and 31% more Caesarean sections. This results in more being spent on technology in more locations. Another key part of the mix is that more people in the U.S. are treated by specialists, whose fees are higher than primary-care doctors, when the same types of treatments are done at the primary-care level in other countries. Specialists command higher pay, which drives the costs up in the U.S. for everyone.

5. Wages and Work Rules
Wages and staffing drive costs up in healthcare. Specialists are commanding high reimbursements and the overutilization of specialists through the current process of referral decision-making drives health costs even higher. The National Commission on Physician Payment Reform was the first step in fixing the problem; based on its 2013 report, the commission adopted 12 recommendations for changes to get control over physician pay. Now it is working with Congress to find a way to implement some of these recommendations.

6. Branding
“There is no such thing as a legitimate price for anything in healthcare,” says George Halvorson, the former chairman of health maintenance organization Kaiser Permanente. “Prices are made up depending on who the payer is.”

Providers who can demand the highest prices are the ones that create a brand everyone wants. “In some markets the prestigious medical institutions can name their price,” says Andrea Cabarello, program director at Catalyst for Payment Reform, a nonprofit that works with large employers to get some control on health costs.

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) has pushed back to some degree against the high costs created by branding. In central Florida, for example, one of the top brands is Florida Hospital. This year ACA policies offered by Humana did not include services provided by this brand. Similar types of contract negotiations knocked out top hospitals in other locations. It remains to be seen whether this will cause those hospitals to reduce prices to get those patients back.

The Bottom Line
Most other developed countries control costs, in part, by having the government play a stronger role in negotiating prices for healthcare. Their healthcare systems don’t require the high administrative costs that drive up pricing in the U.S.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
Unread postPosted: May 7th, 2017, 1:21 pm 

Joined: January 27th, 2014, 12:36 pm
Posts: 22730
Quote:
2. Drug Costs
Another major difference in health costs between the U.S. and every other developed nation is the cost of drugs. The public definitely believes drug costs are unreasonable; now politicians are starting to believe that too. In most countries the government negotiates drug prices with the drug makers, but when Congress created Medicare Part D, it specifically denied Medicare the right to use its power to negotiate drug prices. The Veteran's Administration and Medicaid, which can negotiate drug prices, pay the lowest drug prices. The Congressional Budget Office has found that just by giving the low-income beneficiaries of Medicare Part D the same discount Medicaid recipients get, the federal government would save $116 billion over 10 years. Think of what the savings might be if all Medicare recipients could benefit from Medicaid-negotiated drug prices!


Does more money to drug companies equate to more money for drug research?

_________________
Beware of Gaslighters!


Top
   
Unread postPosted: May 7th, 2017, 3:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: October 3rd, 2012, 8:12 pm
Posts: 18120
In an effort to promote innovation, the U.S. has a patent system that allows drug manufacturers to remain the sole manufacturer of drugs they’ve patented for 20 years or more. The FDA also gives drug manufacturers exclusivity for certain products, including those that treat people with rare diseases.

Application backlogs at the FDA have led to delays of three or four years before generic manufacturers can win approval to make drugs not protected by patents.

Pharmacists in 26 states are required by law to get patient consent before switching to a generic drug. This cost Medicaid $19.8 million dollars in 2006 for just one drug: a statin called simvastatin whose brand name is Zocor. Costs ran higher because pharmacists didn’t get patient consent and Medicaid had to pay for the costlier brand name drug even though a cheaper product was available.

_________________
The Iron Chink!!


Top
Unread postPosted: May 8th, 2017, 9:13 am 

Joined: January 27th, 2014, 12:36 pm
Posts: 22730
Is that a yes?

_________________
Beware of Gaslighters!


Top
   
Unread postPosted: September 26th, 2017, 1:21 pm 

Joined: August 29th, 2017, 11:19 am
Posts: 1035
See link--- McCain saying he will repeal and replace Obamacare---- over and over and over and over...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 9783754755

Image


Top
Unread postPosted: September 26th, 2017, 3:36 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 7155
Wazzzup wrote:
See link--- McCain saying he will repeal and replace Obamacare---- over and over and over and over...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 9783754755

Image

McCain knows Obamacare is on thin ice and needs drastic change. And he has said so too.

People joked for a while about how insurers were pulling out of Obamacare markets so fast we might end up with areas in which there were no insurers at all. It's no joke anymore: with Aetna's massive withdrawal yesterday from the Affordable Care Act marketplace, Pinal County, Arizona, the third most populated county in that state, currently has no insurers selling policies on the Exchange. The issue isn't so much whether people will be subject to the individual mandate tax of up to 2.5% of their income when there are no policies available; an administration that has no difficulty calling a utility shutoff notice a hardship that excuses one from the individual mandate (whether or not the utility was actually shut off) should have no difficulty declaring the non-existence of any insurance to be grounds for an exemption. The issue is that Pinal County, although a bit of an outlier for now, is a harbinger for fundamental problems with the ACA now manifesting themselves with greater clarity across the country. When an insurer covering over 7% of those in the Exchanges and previously hoping to expand instead drops out, we better look at what is going on

irst, we now have four states at least in which there is likely to be only one Exchange health insurer in 2017: Alaska, Alabama, Oklahoma and Wyoming. And, in Alaska, that insurer is receiving extra state support from taxpayers there to keep it involved this year. Even in states where there is more than one insurer overall, there are hundreds of counties in which there is going to be just one insurer. Moreover, it's no longer a situation in many areas where you can pick a plan that lets you choose your doctors: more and more, it's an HMO or nothing.

Second, even in states where some degree of competition remains, gross premiums are going up immensely. As Charles Gaba of the pro-Obamacare but generally careful website acasignups.net has calculated, if people renew their current policies where possible in 2017, their gross premiums will increase an average of 23% (assuming insurers receive their desired increases). In five states, Illinois, Montana, Oklahoma, Arizona and Tennessee, Gaba shows that these increases average more than 40%.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothec ... a0f72f5a67

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
Unread postPosted: September 26th, 2017, 4:25 pm 

Joined: January 27th, 2014, 12:36 pm
Posts: 22730
McCain is absolutely right. The AFA was never going to work but it was a step towards reform.

As long as there is a profit to be made, the US will never have proper healthcare. Greed will override it every time.

_________________
Beware of Gaslighters!


Top
   
Unread postPosted: September 26th, 2017, 8:19 pm 

Joined: August 29th, 2017, 11:19 am
Posts: 1035
MCain ran on repealing Obamacare and then he showed he was lying all along. He is a liar and grandstander. He only did this because he hates Trump more than he cares about the country. That's been his whole career --finding ways to foul things up so the leftist press will praise him

the disaster called Obamacare is completely unrevaling, Even just repealing it and not replacing it would be better than having it.

Mccain will be remembered for being a liar who screwed over the American people.


Top
Unread postPosted: September 26th, 2017, 10:50 pm 

Joined: January 27th, 2014, 12:36 pm
Posts: 22730
He wants to do it RIGHT not fast. He's made that perfectly clear and I couldn't agree with him more. He said they pushed through Obamacare and it's not great so he wants it don't properly. WTF is wrong with the rest of these clowns who are trying to railroad shit legislation through?

You should be kissing McCain's ass right now for keeping you from suffering another shitty health care bill.

_________________
Beware of Gaslighters!


Top
   
Unread postPosted: September 27th, 2017, 4:57 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 1st, 2016, 6:51 pm
Posts: 3861
Wazzzup wrote:
MCain ran on repealing Obamacare and then he showed he was lying all along. He is a liar and grandstander. He only did this because he hates Trump more than he cares about the country. That's been his whole career --finding ways to foul things up so the leftist press will praise him

the disaster called Obamacare is completely unrevaling, Even just repealing it and not replacing it would be better than having it.

Mccain will be remembered for being a liar who screwed over the American people.

It's diappointing both parties are putting politics ahead of the country.


Top
Unread postPosted: September 27th, 2017, 7:22 am 
User avatar

Joined: March 16th, 2017, 6:11 pm
Posts: 2561
Im so glad I've never had insurance lol. (I dont pay the mandate, I fall in the cant afford it bracket)

Fuck Obamacare! Its a joke!

They have totally fucked the healthcare system here, way overpriced.

All they would of had to of done back before Obamacare, was expand Medicaid and Medicare, that was it. Instead we got a mess.

_________________
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.


Top
Unread postPosted: September 27th, 2017, 8:16 am 

Joined: January 27th, 2014, 12:36 pm
Posts: 22730
Blazor wrote:
Im so glad I've never had insurance lol. (I dont pay the mandate, I fall in the cant afford it bracket)

Fuck Obamacare! Its a joke!

They have totally fucked the healthcare system here, way overpriced.

All they would of had to of done back before Obamacare, was expand Medicaid and Medicare, that was it. Instead we got a mess.

Insurance companies set the price, not the government. Obama should have had w ouch sense to know this was going to happen but just like the GOP is trying to do, they railroaded through ill considered legislation.

That's why I support what McCain is doing. He says he wants change, just not the crap that's being pushed through.

I'd like to see BOTH parties work closely together on developing a real healthcare solution.

_________________
Beware of Gaslighters!


Top
   
Unread postPosted: September 27th, 2017, 8:41 am 

Joined: August 29th, 2017, 11:19 am
Posts: 1035
RW wrote:
He wants to do it RIGHT not fast. He's made that perfectly clear and I couldn't agree with him more. He said they pushed through Obamacare and it's not great so he wants it don't properly. WTF is wrong with the rest of these clowns who are trying to railroad shit legislation through?

You should be kissing McCain's ass right now for keeping you from suffering another shitty health care bill.


The worst situation possible IS Obamacare.

MCain should have his ass kicked. Now again I have to pay 2000 more for worse health insurance. because of obutthead and that senile old piece of shit. MClown needs to leave the senate and have the governor pick a real senator.

BTW I like how you do that "Trump lies" stuff over things of no consequence, but when MCcain lied over and over and over about a campaign promise to repeal and replace Obamacare you say he's the greatest. Total hypocrisy. :negative:


Top
Unread postPosted: September 27th, 2017, 8:43 am 
User avatar

Joined: March 16th, 2017, 6:11 pm
Posts: 2561
RW wrote:
Blazor wrote:
Im so glad I've never had insurance lol. (I dont pay the mandate, I fall in the cant afford it bracket)

Fuck Obamacare! Its a joke!

They have totally fucked the healthcare system here, way overpriced.

All they would of had to of done back before Obamacare, was expand Medicaid and Medicare, that was it. Instead we got a mess.

Insurance companies set the price, not the government. Obama should have had w ouch sense to know this was going to happen but just like the GOP is trying to do, they railroaded through ill considered legislation.

That's why I support what McCain is doing. He says he wants change, just not the crap that's being pushed through.

I'd like to see BOTH parties work closely together on developing a real healthcare solution.


Yeah they pushed Obamacare WAY too fast. "We have to pass it to know whats in it" is absurd as I ever heard. Where did it come from, since there were so many pages of it, so early in Obamas term, no way he wrote it.

Insurance companies set the price you're right. With the passing of that bill I foreseen the high prices coming. Was no way around it. Also I remember long ago when I was a teen and went to the Dr., I remember asking why the price was so high, and I was told "you dont have to pay the bill, so we jack up the price a lil". THIS is why insurance is so high, medical bill pricing purposely being raised so that insurance companies are also forced to raise their prices.

Side story, I remember having a kidney stone that when it hit, was painful as hell in my kidney. When I went, they gave me a cup and told me to pee in it. Out came the stone. Doc said "looks like you cured yourself". Didnt stop them from sending me a bill of over $300. Doc literally did nothing.

_________________
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.


Top
Unread postPosted: September 27th, 2017, 8:45 am 

Joined: January 27th, 2014, 12:36 pm
Posts: 22730
Wazzzup wrote:
RW wrote:
He wants to do it RIGHT not fast. He's made that perfectly clear and I couldn't agree with him more. He said they pushed through Obamacare and it's not great so he wants it don't properly. WTF is wrong with the rest of these clowns who are trying to railroad shit legislation through?

You should be kissing McCain's ass right now for keeping you from suffering another shitty health care bill.


The worst situation possible IS Obamacare.

MCain should have his ass kicked. Now again I have to pay 2000 more for worse health insurance. because of obutthead and that senile old piece of shit. MClown needs to leave the senate and have the governor pick a real senator.

BTW I like how you do that "Trump lies" stuff over things of no consequence, but when MCcain lied over and over and over about a campaign promise to repeal and replace Obamacare you say he's the greatest. Total hypocrisy. :negative:

Oh NO it isn't. I have read some of the shit they've come up with - EEEK!

Again, the problem with Obamacare was the failure to take into account what insurance companies would do. That wasn't regulated so now you pay up the ass.

McCain is doing the RIGHT thing. And again, McCain keeps saying he wants to be true to his promise to repeal and replace but he isn't going to do with hastily. He learned his lesson the first time around with Obamacare.

Do you not see that?

_________________
Beware of Gaslighters!


Top
   
Unread postPosted: September 27th, 2017, 8:47 am 

Joined: January 27th, 2014, 12:36 pm
Posts: 22730
Blazor wrote:
RW wrote:
Blazor wrote:
Im so glad I've never had insurance lol. (I dont pay the mandate, I fall in the cant afford it bracket)

Fuck Obamacare! Its a joke!

They have totally fucked the healthcare system here, way overpriced.

All they would of had to of done back before Obamacare, was expand Medicaid and Medicare, that was it. Instead we got a mess.

Insurance companies set the price, not the government. Obama should have had w ouch sense to know this was going to happen but just like the GOP is trying to do, they railroaded through ill considered legislation.

That's why I support what McCain is doing. He says he wants change, just not the crap that's being pushed through.

I'd like to see BOTH parties work closely together on developing a real healthcare solution.


Yeah they pushed Obamacare WAY too fast. "We have to pass it to know whats in it" is absurd as I ever heard. Where did it come from, since there were so many pages of it, so early in Obamas term, no way he wrote it.

Insurance companies set the price you're right. With the passing of that bill I foreseen the high prices coming. Was no way around it. Also I remember long ago when I was a teen and went to the Dr., I remember asking why the price was so high, and I was told "you dont have to pay the bill, so we jack up the price a lil". THIS is why insurance is so high, medical bill pricing purposely being raised so that insurance companies are also forced to raise their prices.

Side story, I remember having a kidney stone that when it hit, was painful as hell in my kidney. When I went, they gave me a cup and told me to pee in it. Out came the stone. Doc said "looks like you cured yourself". Didnt stop them from sending me a bill of over $300. Doc literally did nothing.

It's hard as a Canadian to watch what you guys suffer through in terms of health care. And the cost! OUCH! I feel for you guys.

Billing would be an issue for sure.

Your system needs an extensive overhaul. I think it might be best to leave it to the states.

_________________
Beware of Gaslighters!


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC-08:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
phpBB SEO
[ GZIP: On ]