It is currently December 11th, 2019, 4:10 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next
 Post subject: Re: Hong Kong protests
Unread postPosted: August 27th, 2019, 6:57 am 

Unread postPosted: August 27th, 2019, 9:12 am 

TheVancouverGuy wrote:
https://youtu.be/ucy-OhfGzdw

That is completely out of hand. Peaceful protests are one thing, but barricading streets and arming themselves clubs, molotov cocktails and anything else they can use as a weapon is quite another. The message of democratization is lost. They look like a black block rent a mob.

Unread postPosted: August 27th, 2019, 3:44 pm 

TheVancouverGuy wrote:

The average person just trying to get to and from work will turn on the rioters if they start affecting their ability to earn a living.

Unread postPosted: August 27th, 2019, 5:22 pm 

Shen Li wrote:
TheVancouverGuy wrote:

The average person just trying to get to and from work will turn on the rioters if they start affecting their ability to earn a living.

It's true. Many live in micro suites smaller than the size of a single vehicle garage. Housing is more expensive than the likes of Vancouver. People need to work, rest, and take care of themselves and their family. Standing on the streets doesn't help move forward in life.

Unread postPosted: August 27th, 2019, 6:30 pm 

TheVancouverGuy wrote:
Shen Li wrote:
TheVancouverGuy wrote:

It's true. Many live in micro suites smaller than the size of a single vehicle garage. Housing is more expensive than the likes of Vancouver. People need to work, rest, and take care of themselves and their family. Standing on the streets doesn't help move forward in life.

I can't argue with that TVG.

Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 9:59 am 

Hong Kong on fire
Protesters, cops in running battles

HONG KONG — Protesters hurled firebombs and set blazes Saturday across Hong Kong as they defied warnings to stay off the streets on a key pro-democracy anniversary — touching off some of the most dramatic clashes during 13 weeks of unrest over Beijing’s influence on the territory.

Demonstrators were pursued through the city, chased by riot police using the full arsenal of their tools: volleys of teargas, pepper spray, rubber bullets and huge numbers of officers wielding batons.

Water cannons sprayed streams tinted with blue dye in an apparent effort to mark protesters.

Protesters in turn set piles of rubbish and debris on fire, hoping to block advancing police.

Some protesters were armed with metal poles and hammers, and carried makeshift shields for protection.

At night, clashes moved from central Hong Kong to Kowloon, prompting the closure of five of the main subway lines.

Videos shared on social media and messaging apps showed commuters crying and hugging each other, as pools of blood and debris littered the ground after a clearance operation by riot police.

The protesters were marking an especially significant day in Hong Kong’s political history: Five years ago, Beijing announced a plan for limited democracy in the semi-autonomous territory, kicking off a 79-day occupation of city streets that invigorated a new generation of Hong Kong activists.

The intensity of Saturday’s scenes underscored how neither protesters nor Hong Kong authorities are holding back — pushing the city even further from a resolution to the months-long crisis.

A Hong Kong government statement Saturday appeared to quash among the most fundamental of protester demands: that of direct elections for Hong Kong’s leader and lawmakers.

A government spokesperson said that while universal suffrage is an “ultimate aim ... rashly embarking on political reform again will further polarize society, which is an irresponsible act.”

Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 11:31 am 

seoulbro wrote:
Hong Kong on fire
Protesters, cops in running battles

HONG KONG — Protesters hurled firebombs and set blazes Saturday across Hong Kong as they defied warnings to stay off the streets on a key pro-democracy anniversary — touching off some of the most dramatic clashes during 13 weeks of unrest over Beijing’s influence on the territory.

Demonstrators were pursued through the city, chased by riot police using the full arsenal of their tools: volleys of teargas, pepper spray, rubber bullets and huge numbers of officers wielding batons.

Water cannons sprayed streams tinted with blue dye in an apparent effort to mark protesters.

Protesters in turn set piles of rubbish and debris on fire, hoping to block advancing police.

Some protesters were armed with metal poles and hammers, and carried makeshift shields for protection.

At night, clashes moved from central Hong Kong to Kowloon, prompting the closure of five of the main subway lines.

Videos shared on social media and messaging apps showed commuters crying and hugging each other, as pools of blood and debris littered the ground after a clearance operation by riot police.

The protesters were marking an especially significant day in Hong Kong’s political history: Five years ago, Beijing announced a plan for limited democracy in the semi-autonomous territory, kicking off a 79-day occupation of city streets that invigorated a new generation of Hong Kong activists.

The intensity of Saturday’s scenes underscored how neither protesters nor Hong Kong authorities are holding back — pushing the city even further from a resolution to the months-long crisis.

A Hong Kong government statement Saturday appeared to quash among the most fundamental of protester demands: that of direct elections for Hong Kong’s leader and lawmakers.

A government spokesperson said that while universal suffrage is an “ultimate aim ... rashly embarking on political reform again will further polarize society, which is an irresponsible act.”

Oh my, these protests are really getting out of hand.

Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 11:50 am 

I saw an interview with a protester who claimed the clashes were pro China. The rationale is to give Beijing an excuse to intervene to restore law and order.

Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 11:57 am 

seoulbro wrote:
I saw an interview with a protester who claimed the clashes were pro China. The rationale is to give Beijing an excuse to intervene to restore law and order.

Yeah, I'm sure some of them will make ridiculous claims like that one. These protests are affecting the stability of HK and now they have become violent. How long will it be before somebody is killed.

Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 12:48 pm 

Shen Li wrote:
seoulbro wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure some of them will make ridiculous claims like that one. These protests are affecting the stability of HK and now they have become violent. How long will it be before somebody is killed.

Even supporters may turn against the protesters.

Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 2:43 pm 

I often transit through Hong Kong when I go to Asia for business. Part of me would like to see the protests in person.

Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 5:07 pm 

Thiel wrote:
I often transit through Hong Kong when I go to Asia for business. Part of me would like to see the protests in person.

I can understand that..

But, the novelty would wear off if I was unable to get around.

Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 5:14 pm 

Fashionista wrote:
Thiel wrote:

I can understand that..

I'd be telling them to get the fuck out of my face.

Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 5:46 pm 

Shen Li wrote:
Fashionista wrote:
Thiel wrote:

I can understand that..

I'd be telling them to get the fuck out of my face.

I still sympathize with the protesters cause.

Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 10:28 pm 

Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2019, 10:35 pm 

cc wrote:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1167871320924643329

I saw some of these on Global News.
:ohmy:

Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 11:04 am 

TOKYO -- China issued a stern warning to Hong Kong protesters as well as the West on Sunday, reiterating that it will not tolerate any attempt to undermine Chinese sovereignty over the city.

"The end is coming for those attempting to disrupt Hong Kong and antagonize China," stated a commentary piece published by the state's Xinhua News Agency.

The strongly worded message was directed at "the rioters and their behind-the-scene supporters" -- which can be taken as an accusation of Western meddling. It said that "their attempt to 'kidnap Hong Kong' and press the central authorities is just a delusion," adding, "No concession should be expected concerning such principle issues."

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Hong- ... protesters

Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 1:33 pm 

cc wrote:
TOKYO -- China issued a stern warning to Hong Kong protesters as well as the West on Sunday, reiterating that it will not tolerate any attempt to undermine Chinese sovereignty over the city.

"The end is coming for those attempting to disrupt Hong Kong and antagonize China," stated a commentary piece published by the state's Xinhua News Agency.

The strongly worded message was directed at "the rioters and their behind-the-scene supporters" -- which can be taken as an accusation of Western meddling. It said that "their attempt to 'kidnap Hong Kong' and press the central authorities is just a delusion," adding, "No concession should be expected concerning such principle issues."

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Hong- ... protesters

What does China consider meddling? A pro democracy tweets from NGO's in the West. We have foreign undermining our economy and preventing us from building critical infrastructure to get our resources to international markets. China doesn't know what meddling is.

Unread postPosted: September 4th, 2019, 3:59 am 

The extradition treaty between Hong Kong and the mainland has been withdrawn..

Other demands like an investigation into the police, an amnesty for protesters and direct elections for HK's Chief Executive have not been addressed.

Unread postPosted: September 4th, 2019, 4:25 am 

Fashionista wrote:
The extradition treaty between Hong Kong and the mainland has been withdrawn..

Other demands like an investigation into the police, an amnesty for protesters and direct elections for HK's Chief Executive have not been addressed.

This ain the end of the protests. But, it's a good move by Beijing and it's stooges in HK.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next