It is currently December 11th, 2019, 3:00 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Re: Must Buy Books
Unread postPosted: September 26th, 2019, 3:23 pm 

iron horse jockey wrote:
If you only read one more book in your life, make it this one.
You’re probably familiar with George Soros. You may be familiar with Tom Steyer. You may even know who their other billionaire buddies are on the Left, and which foundations they use to exert political pressure. But do you know how they organize their dollars and their organizations to have maximum impact, while shielding themselves from voter scrutiny and criminal charges? Behind the Curtain is a look into the murky world of dark money—massive amounts of it aligned to push a far-left agenda that would make even mainstream liberals shiver.

Behind the Curtain reveals the sordid web of limousine liberals and subversive billionaires in a chilling tale of power, greed, envy, and the politics of personal destruction. It is also the story of the lengths to which the organized Left will go to overturn the results of the 2016 election using the courts, a shadowy network of nonprofit organizations and consulting firms, and an increasingly compliant media.

A good recommendation. :thumbup:

Unread postPosted: October 4th, 2019, 6:33 am 

Wall Street Journal columnist and bestselling author Kim Strassel argues how the all-out "Resistance" has become dangerously reckless in its obstruction of President Trump.

Among the most consistent and aggressive criticisms of Donald Trump is that he is a threat to American democracy -- a human wrecking ball demolishing our most basic values and institutions. Resistance (At All Costs) makes the opposite case -- that it is Trump's critics, in their zeal to oppose the president, who are undermining our foundations.

From the FBI's unprecedented counterintelligence investigation into the Trump campaign, to bureaucratic sabotage, to media partisanship, to the drive-by character assassination of Trump nominee Brett Kavanaugh, the president's foes have thrown aside norms, due process and the rule of law.

Resistance (At All Costs) shows that the reaction to Trump will prove far more consequential and damaging to our nation long-term than Trump's time in office.

Unread postPosted: October 4th, 2019, 9:20 am 

Herman wrote:
Wall Street Journal columnist and bestselling author Kim Strassel argues how the all-out "Resistance" has become dangerously reckless in its obstruction of President Trump.

Among the most consistent and aggressive criticisms of Donald Trump is that he is a threat to American democracy -- a human wrecking ball demolishing our most basic values and institutions. Resistance (At All Costs) makes the opposite case -- that it is Trump's critics, in their zeal to oppose the president, who are undermining our foundations.

From the FBI's unprecedented counterintelligence investigation into the Trump campaign, to bureaucratic sabotage, to media partisanship, to the drive-by character assassination of Trump nominee Brett Kavanaugh, the president's foes have thrown aside norms, due process and the rule of law.

Resistance (At All Costs) shows that the reaction to Trump will prove far more consequential and damaging to our nation long-term than Trump's time in office.

Looks good

Unread postPosted: October 5th, 2019, 5:35 pm 

Intellectual mystery story that integrates ethics, metaphysics, epistemology, politics, economics, and sex.

Set in a near-future U.S.A. whose economy is collapsing as a result of the mysterious disappearance of leading innovators and industrialists, this novel presents an astounding panorama of human life-from the productive genius who becomes a worthless playboy...to the great steel industrialist who does not know that he is working for his own destruction...to the philosopher who becomes a pirate...to the woman who runs a transcontinental railroad...to the lowest track worker in her train tunnels.

Peopled by larger-than-life heroes and villains, charged with towering questions of good and evil, Atlas Shrugged is a philosophical revolution told in the form of an action thriller.

Unread postPosted: October 6th, 2019, 4:45 am 

Thiel wrote:

Intellectual mystery story that integrates ethics, metaphysics, epistemology, politics, economics, and sex.

Set in a near-future U.S.A. whose economy is collapsing as a result of the mysterious disappearance of leading innovators and industrialists, this novel presents an astounding panorama of human life-from the productive genius who becomes a worthless playboy...to the great steel industrialist who does not know that he is working for his own destruction...to the philosopher who becomes a pirate...to the woman who runs a transcontinental railroad...to the lowest track worker in her train tunnels.

Peopled by larger-than-life heroes and villains, charged with towering questions of good and evil, Atlas Shrugged is a philosophical revolution told in the form of an action thriller.

A classic. ac_drinks

Unread postPosted: October 7th, 2019, 12:42 pm 

[color=#BFBF00][/color]
seoulbro wrote:
Dinky Dianna wrote:
From Wikipedia
Quote:
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man is a partly autobiographical book written by John Perkins published in 2004. It provides Perkins' account of his career with engineering consulting firm Chas. T. Main in Boston. According to Perkins, his job at Main was to convince leaders of underdeveloped countries to accept substantial development loans for large construction and engineering projects that would primarily help the richest families and local elites, rather than the poor, while making sure that these projects were contracted to U.S. companies. Later these loans would give the U.S. political influence and access to natural resources for U.S. companies.[1] He characterizes his role as being an "economic hit man." Although he states that throughout his career he has always worked for private companies, and suggests a system of corporatocracy and greed, rather than a single conspiracy, he claims the involvement of the National Security Agency (NSA), with whom he had interviewed for a job before joining Main. According to the author, this interview effectively constituted an independent screening which led to his subsequent hiring as an economic hit man by Einar Greve,[2] a vice president of the firm (and alleged NSA liaison).

I saw much of this sort of thing in the 70s and 80s with family members doing the same work knowingly but probably unknowingly so it wasn't a complete shock but I appreciated someone actually saying it outloud and drawing the connections.

Seems like it would be one of those books you cannnot put down once you start reading. China is doing the same thing throughout the developing world.

And by the way, it is good to see you here again.

They are! They just call it Silk Road. ac_biggrin

Asian peoole are good people but communist asian people are scum. They play the long game. I hope to snuff some of their lights out in my lifetime.

Unread postPosted: October 7th, 2019, 1:40 pm 

Dinky Dianna wrote:
[color=#BFBF00][/color]
seoulbro wrote:
Dinky Dianna wrote:
From Wikipedia
Quote:
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man is a partly autobiographical book written by John Perkins published in 2004. It provides Perkins' account of his career with engineering consulting firm Chas. T. Main in Boston. According to Perkins, his job at Main was to convince leaders of underdeveloped countries to accept substantial development loans for large construction and engineering projects that would primarily help the richest families and local elites, rather than the poor, while making sure that these projects were contracted to U.S. companies. Later these loans would give the U.S. political influence and access to natural resources for U.S. companies.[1] He characterizes his role as being an "economic hit man." Although he states that throughout his career he has always worked for private companies, and suggests a system of corporatocracy and greed, rather than a single conspiracy, he claims the involvement of the National Security Agency (NSA), with whom he had interviewed for a job before joining Main. According to the author, this interview effectively constituted an independent screening which led to his subsequent hiring as an economic hit man by Einar Greve,[2] a vice president of the firm (and alleged NSA liaison).

I saw much of this sort of thing in the 70s and 80s with family members doing the same work knowingly but probably unknowingly so it wasn't a complete shock but I appreciated someone actually saying it outloud and drawing the connections.

Seems like it would be one of those books you cannnot put down once you start reading. China is doing the same thing throughout the developing world.

And by the way, it is good to see you here again.

They are! They just call it Silk Road. ac_biggrin

Asian peoole are good people but communist asian people are scum. They play the long game. I hope to snuff some of their lights out in my lifetime.

Communism was never really a fit or East Asian people.

Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2019, 4:23 pm 

How about Grapes of Wrath. Do you guys have a problem with classics.

Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2019, 5:00 pm 

Dinky Dianna wrote:
I hope to snuff some of their lights out in my lifetime.

And how will you do that, big boy?

Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2019, 5:05 pm 

Velvet wrote:

Not I.

Les Miserables, Crime and Punishment, Lolita, War and Peace, One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch, Fear, The Mayor of Casterbridge.

Odd, that being English, I do not much enjoy British "classics". Dickens is torturous and many of the other revered classics are stodgy, dull and somewhat self indulgent. Classic British authors seem intent on glorifying the mundane and banal.

Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2019, 5:45 pm 

Bricktop wrote:
Velvet wrote:

Not I.

Les Miserables, Crime and Punishment, Lolita, War and Peace, One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch, Fear, The Mayor of Casterbridge.

Odd, that being English, I do not much enjoy British "classics". Dickens is torturous and many of the other revered classics are stodgy, dull and somewhat self indulgent. Classic British authors seem intent on glorifying the mundane and banal.

Britain is a parasitical nation. As a matter of principle, I boycott all things British. Fuck France and Belgium too.

Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2019, 5:57 pm 

Says she who lives in a former British colony with British cultural heritage and government.

Unread postPosted: October 9th, 2019, 9:38 am 

Bricktop wrote:
Says she who lives in a former British colony with British cultural heritage and government.

A former French colony too.

Unread postPosted: November 17th, 2019, 3:45 pm 

Unread postPosted: November 18th, 2019, 6:26 pm 

Unread postPosted: November 23rd, 2019, 4:42 pm 

If you are interested in post renaissance European history, you will enjoy this book.

Unread postPosted: November 23rd, 2019, 5:22 pm 

I love books. I just started this one,

Unread postPosted: November 23rd, 2019, 5:29 pm 

Berry Sweet wrote:
I love books. I just started this one,

Are you a Buddhist kid?

Unread postPosted: November 23rd, 2019, 5:36 pm 

No. I'm reading it for a positive influence, I guess you could say. The teachings are peaceful. I went to this Japanese garden in Portland this summer and I felt as peace, it was so pretty and they had some Buddhist stuff in the gift shop and I bought some things. I don't want religion and stupid beliefs in my life, I just want the enlightenment out of it. You know, inner peace.

Unread postPosted: November 23rd, 2019, 5:47 pm 

Berry Sweet wrote:
No. I'm reading it for a positive influence, I guess you could say. The teachings are peaceful. I went to this Japanese garden in Portland this summer and I felt as peace, it was so pretty and they had some Buddhist stuff in the gift shop and I bought some things. I don't want religion and stupid beliefs in my life, I just want the enlightenment out of it. You know, inner peace.

That must've been delightful.