It is currently June 17th, 2019, 8:19 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 8:04 am 

"Rugby Australia on Friday terminated Folau's four-year contract, 10 days after an independent panel found the 30-year-old fullback guilty of a high-level breach of the players' code of conduct for his contentious post in mid-April.

"Folau can appeal the decision but it appears, at least for now, that his career has gone down in flames. The saga also has thrown Australia's preparations for the Rugby World Cup into turmoil.

"A self-described devout Christian, Folau said he was merely posting a passage from the bible and he refused to take down the online post. For rugby Australia, it boiled down to a contract issue."

https://sports.yahoo.com/rugby-australia-terminates-folaus-contract-052418442--spt.html

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 8:20 am 

Peaches wrote:
"Rugby Australia on Friday terminated Folau's four-year contract, 10 days after an independent panel found the 30-year-old fullback guilty of a high-level breach of the players' code of conduct for his contentious post in mid-April.

"Folau can appeal the decision but it appears, at least for now, that his career has gone down in flames. The saga also has thrown Australia's preparations for the Rugby World Cup into turmoil.

"A self-described devout Christian, Folau said he was merely posting a passage from the bible and he refused to take down the online post. For rugby Australia, it boiled down to a contract issue."

https://sports.yahoo.com/rugby-australia-terminates-folaus-contract-052418442--spt.html

I don't use social media very often..

But, if I do, I know not only fellow Christians will read what I write..

So, I'm careful that I don't antagonize secular people.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 9:06 am 

Peaches wrote:

That's unfortunate Australian rugby loses a good player.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 1:51 pm 

Playing professional sports is a privilege, not a right..

And if they have specific rules about public speech, they accept those rules as a condition of employment.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 3:02 pm 

Gaon wrote:
Peaches wrote:

A complete and thorough injustice served to Israel Folau and every other person who dares to cross homosexuals quoting a holy book..

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 3:39 pm 

caskur wrote:
Gaon wrote:
Peaches wrote:

A complete and thorough injustice served to Israel Folau and every other person who dares to cross homosexuals quoting a holy book..

Athletes need to be aware of league rules.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 3:42 pm 

Fashionista wrote:
caskur wrote:
Gaon wrote:
Peaches wrote:

Is the League rule legal though? Think about it....

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 3:47 pm 

He will appeal.

He also has a lot of support amongst his fellow players.

This has a long way to run, as it drives at the very heart of free speech and religion.

Pass the popcorn, Peaches...if there's any left...

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 3:53 pm 

caskur wrote:
Fashionista wrote:
caskur wrote:
Gaon wrote:
Peaches wrote:

Is the League rule legal though? Think about it....

If there's a court challenge, we'll know.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 4:11 pm 

Bricktop wrote:
He will appeal.

He also has a lot of support amongst his fellow players.

This has a long way to run, as it drives at the very heart of free speech and religion.

Pass the popcorn, Peaches...if there's any left...

Well by rights, he should win in court..

But he could play overseas and get more money.. He should do that.

There are threats other Islanders won't play for Australia. Most Islanders are devout Christians.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 4:14 pm 

caskur wrote:

There are threats other Islanders won't play for Australia. Most Islanders are devout Christians.

Evidently calling oneself a "devout Christian" in some circles in Australia allows one to do a lot of cherry picking of the NT.

Kind of like the way some "devout Christian" in the US do it.

But caskur, are you seying that players will boycott the league if not permitted to shoot their mouths off in this way?

Sounds like a sort of sharia law to me.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 4:30 pm 

They have insinuated that if Israel (anyone else noted the irony of that name) is banned, they will walk.

They can certainly move to other rugby nations like the UK, France, Japan and even the US and earn good money.

Whilst an atheist, sacking a man for quoting a biblical passage is draconian in my view.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 5:31 pm 

Peaches wrote:

I will have to read the details of this later.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 5:53 pm 

Bricktop wrote:
They have insinuated that if Israel (anyone else noted the irony of that name) is banned, they will walk.

They can certainly move to other rugby nations like the UK, France, Japan and even the US and earn good money.

Whilst an atheist, sacking a man for quoting a biblical passage is draconian in my view.
Agreed. While its not as eggregious as government doing it, it's still a major affront to free speech and freedom of religion.

I'm glad other players are standing with him. Most people cower and hide to protect themselves when this stuff happens- that's how tyranny wins.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 6:01 pm 

To be fair, his tweet was a bit silly and pointless. And I sure disagree with it's religious sentiment.

But he has a right to that view.

Stifling speech is the first step to tyranny, in my view.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 6:20 pm 

We have seen more than a little of this sort of thing here in the US, where pro athletes are not permitted complete freedom of expression. Sometimes the curtailment is by the team, more often by the league. In some cases, the president of the country has attempted to meddle and directly intervene in such matters, in ways that are sometimes patently unlawful.

It seems to me that in a free society people should not be protected from such expressions, and should be intelligent enough to consider the source and the merits. Perhaps I expect too much.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 6:42 pm 

Peaches wrote:
In some cases, the president of the country has attempted to meddle and directly intervene in such matters, in ways that are sometimes patently unlawful.

Wha? Unlawful? LOL When did this happen?

If you're comparing this to the NFL stuff you are comparing apples and doorknobs. The NFL players were doing their stuff on the field, not on social media on their own time, HUGE difference.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 6:49 pm 

Peaches wrote:
We have seen more than a little of this sort of thing here in the US, where pro athletes are not permitted complete freedom of expression. Sometimes the curtailment is by the team, more often by the league. In some cases, the president of the country has attempted to meddle and directly intervene in such matters, in ways that are sometimes patently unlawful.

It seems to me that in a free society people should not be protected from such expressions, and should be intelligent enough to consider the source and the merits. Perhaps I expect too much.

Precisely.

It is even more aggravating when it is clear that sporting associations here are saying to themselves "this is what happens in America".

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 7:26 pm 

Wazzzup wrote:
Peaches wrote:
In some cases, the president of the country has attempted to meddle and directly intervene in such matters, in ways that are sometimes patently unlawful.

If you're comparing this to the NFL stuff you are comparing apples and doorknobs. The NFL players were doing their stuff on the field, not on social media on their own time, HUGE difference.

I don't see the distinction you're raising about "on the job" vs. "social media" as being significant. A lot of the NFL protesters did so on the field with the blessing of their team's owners.

I was referring to 18 U.S. Code § 227 which criminalizes actions of elected federal officials who seek to influence the hiring and firing decisions of private entities. And I'm aware that many pundits, including the liberal WaPo, have scoffed at this idea because the intent of this law requires the interference to be solely based on "partisan political affiliation" which is Congress's polite term for "party membership."

However, since it's Saturday night I'll put on my Internet Lawyer uniform and you can do the same if you like, but I'm only gonna make one run at this and not come back to it because I don't want to derail the thread into US politics.

The term "partisan political affiliation" does enjoy a lot of customary use, but I'm unaware it's ever been given a legal definition by statute and only a cloudy one (at best) in case law, simply because parties are extra-constitutional creatures and nobody wants to talk about them in court if they can help it.

Consequently, since the president (1) called Kaemp a son of a bitch in public speeches, (2) tweeted that he and others should be fired, and (3) specifically took personal credit for the fact that Kaemp ended up jobless and unemployable, I'll bet a bunch of money there are attorneys out there who'd be quite happy to sue in the Ninth District where Kaemp and his former team happen to live. And they might get somewhere with it, the Ninth being a huge blister on Trump's ass every chance it gets.

There is additionally the issue that the president swore a constitutional oath to "faithfully" exercise the duties of his office, and while this is more a matter for Congressional oversight than it is for lawsuits, I'm also not aware that the exact legal or constitutional definition of "faithfully" has been authoritatively sorted out.

That's my shot, pal. Knock your socks off.

Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2019, 7:57 pm 

Wazzzup wrote:
Peaches wrote:

I agree there's no analogy between this snd the spoiled brat kneeling NFL players.