It is currently April 3rd, 2020, 4:36 am

All times are UTC-07:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: SHAME ON US!
Unread postPosted: March 26th, 2020, 9:15 pm 
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2012, 8:21 pm
Posts: 14095
(One could apply "North America and North American in most case)

What did you do today?

Image

I talked with a man today, an 80+ year old man. I asked him if there was anything I can get him while this CoronaVirus scare was gripping the America.

He simply smiled, looked away and said:
“Let me tell you what I need! I need to believe, at some point, this country my generation fought for… I need to believe this nation we handed safely to our children and their children…”

“I need to know this generation will quit being a bunch of sissies…that they respect what they’ve been given…that they’ve earned what others sacrificed for.”

I wasn’t sure where the conversation was going or if it was going anywhere at all. So, I sat there, quietly observing.

“You know, I was a little boy during WWII. Those were scary days. We didn’t know if we were going to be speaking English, German or Japanese at the end of the war. There was no certainty, no guarantees like Americans enjoy today.”

“And no home went without sacrifice or loss. Every house, up and down every street, had someone in harm’s way. Maybe their Daddy was a soldier, maybe their son was a sailor, maybe it was an uncle. Sometimes it was the whole damn family…fathers, sons, uncles…”

“Having someone, you love, sent off to war…it wasn’t less frightening than it is today. It was scary as Hell. If anything, it was more frightening. We didn’t have battle front news. We didn’t have email or smart phones.”

“You sent them away and you hoped…you prayed. You may not hear from them for months, if ever.”

“Sometimes a mother was getting her son’s letters the same day Dad was comforting her over their child’s death.”

“And we sacrificed. You couldn’t buy things. Everything was rationed. You were only allowed so much milk per month, only so much bread, toilet paper. EVERYTHING was restricted for the war effort.”

“And what you weren’t using, what you didn’t need, things you threw away, they were saved and sorted for the war effort.”
“My generation was the original recycling movement in America.”

“And we had viruses back then…serious viruses. Things like polio, measles, and such It was nothing to walk to school and pass a house or two that was quarantined.”

“We didn’t shut down our schools. We didn’t shut down our cities. We carried on, without masks, without hand sanitizer.”

“And do you know what? We persevered. We overcame.”

“We didn’t attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today.”

He slowly looked away again. Maybe I saw a small tear in the corner of his eye. Then he continued:

“Today’s kids don’t know sacrifice. They think a sacrifice is not having coverage on their phone while they freely drive across the country. Today’s kids are selfish and spoiled.”

“In my generation, we looked out for our elders. We helped out with single moms who’s husbands were either at war or dead from war.”

“Today’s kids rush the store, buying everything they can…no concern for anyone but themselves.”

“It’s shameful the way Americans behave these days. None of them deserve the sacrifices their granddads made.”

“So, no I don’t need anything. I appreciate your offer but, I know I’ve been through worse things than this virus.”

“But maybe I should be asking you, what can I do to help you? Do you have enough soda to get through this, enough steak? Will you be able to survive with just 113 channels on your tv?”

I smiled, fighting back a tear of my own…now humbled by a man in his 80’s. All I could do was thank him for the history lesson, leave my number for emergency and leave with my ego firmly tucked in my rear.

I talked to a man today. A real man. An American man from an era long gone and forgotten.

We will never understand the sacrifices. We will never fully earn their sacrifices. But we should work harder to learn about them..learn from them…to respect them.

Image

_________________
FKKK China


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: SHAME ON US!
Unread postPosted: March 26th, 2020, 9:26 pm 
User avatar

Joined: October 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm
Posts: 3576
Quote:
“We didn’t attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today.”

The pan greens and the pan blues put aside their differences and worked together in Taiwan..

In the USA, the opposition is using this pandemic to win an election.
:negative:


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: SHAME ON US!
Unread postPosted: March 26th, 2020, 9:40 pm 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 18018
cc wrote:
(One could apply "North America and North American in most case)

What did you do today?

Image

I talked with a man today, an 80+ year old man. I asked him if there was anything I can get him while this CoronaVirus scare was gripping the America.

He simply smiled, looked away and said:
“Let me tell you what I need! I need to believe, at some point, this country my generation fought for… I need to believe this nation we handed safely to our children and their children…”

“I need to know this generation will quit being a bunch of sissies…that they respect what they’ve been given…that they’ve earned what others sacrificed for.”

I wasn’t sure where the conversation was going or if it was going anywhere at all. So, I sat there, quietly observing.

“You know, I was a little boy during WWII. Those were scary days. We didn’t know if we were going to be speaking English, German or Japanese at the end of the war. There was no certainty, no guarantees like Americans enjoy today.”

“And no home went without sacrifice or loss. Every house, up and down every street, had someone in harm’s way. Maybe their Daddy was a soldier, maybe their son was a sailor, maybe it was an uncle. Sometimes it was the whole damn family…fathers, sons, uncles…”

“Having someone, you love, sent off to war…it wasn’t less frightening than it is today. It was scary as Hell. If anything, it was more frightening. We didn’t have battle front news. We didn’t have email or smart phones.”

“You sent them away and you hoped…you prayed. You may not hear from them for months, if ever.”

“Sometimes a mother was getting her son’s letters the same day Dad was comforting her over their child’s death.”

“And we sacrificed. You couldn’t buy things. Everything was rationed. You were only allowed so much milk per month, only so much bread, toilet paper. EVERYTHING was restricted for the war effort.”

“And what you weren’t using, what you didn’t need, things you threw away, they were saved and sorted for the war effort.”
“My generation was the original recycling movement in America.”

“And we had viruses back then…serious viruses. Things like polio, measles, and such It was nothing to walk to school and pass a house or two that was quarantined.”

“We didn’t shut down our schools. We didn’t shut down our cities. We carried on, without masks, without hand sanitizer.”

“And do you know what? We persevered. We overcame.”

“We didn’t attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today.”

He slowly looked away again. Maybe I saw a small tear in the corner of his eye. Then he continued:

“Today’s kids don’t know sacrifice. They think a sacrifice is not having coverage on their phone while they freely drive across the country. Today’s kids are selfish and spoiled.”

“In my generation, we looked out for our elders. We helped out with single moms who’s husbands were either at war or dead from war.”

“Today’s kids rush the store, buying everything they can…no concern for anyone but themselves.”

“It’s shameful the way Americans behave these days. None of them deserve the sacrifices their granddads made.”

“So, no I don’t need anything. I appreciate your offer but, I know I’ve been through worse things than this virus.”

“But maybe I should be asking you, what can I do to help you? Do you have enough soda to get through this, enough steak? Will you be able to survive with just 113 channels on your tv?”

I smiled, fighting back a tear of my own…now humbled by a man in his 80’s. All I could do was thank him for the history lesson, leave my number for emergency and leave with my ego firmly tucked in my rear.

I talked to a man today. A real man. An American man from an era long gone and forgotten.

We will never understand the sacrifices. We will never fully earn their sacrifices. But we should work harder to learn about them..learn from them…to respect them.

Image

Aint that the frickin truth.

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: SHAME ON US!
Unread postPosted: March 26th, 2020, 10:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2012, 8:21 pm
Posts: 14095
Fashionista wrote:
Quote:
“We didn’t attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today.”

The pan greens and the pan blues put aside their differences and worked together in Taiwan..

In the USA, the opposition is using this pandemic to win an election.
:negative:

I understand how Taiwanese came together, and I suspect Koreans

Western Society is screwed and you are right that the opposition are trying to use every single little point toward the election ... to the point I would call "treason" ..... it will backfire on them if things go well in the next month or 2

I am ashamed of my society for many reasons and I am convinced Western society is a goner.
It's broken and no one can put the pieces back together.

_________________
FKKK China


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: SHAME ON US!
Unread postPosted: March 27th, 2020, 6:24 am 
User avatar

Joined: October 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm
Posts: 3576
cc wrote:
Fashionista wrote:
Quote:
“We didn’t attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today.”

The pan greens and the pan blues put aside their differences and worked together in Taiwan..

In the USA, the opposition is using this pandemic to win an election.
:negative:

I understand how Taiwanese came together, and I suspect Koreans

Western Society is screwed and you are right that the opposition are trying to use every single little point toward the election ... to the point I would call "treason" ..... it will backfire on them if things go well in the next month or 2

I am ashamed of my society for many reasons and I am convinced Western society is a goner.
It's broken and no one can put the pieces back together.

Western countries don't put aside differences and pull together in a crisis like East Asian countries do.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: SHAME ON US!
Unread postPosted: March 27th, 2020, 7:13 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 14104
As all of you know, I am a penny pinching fiscal hawk. And I have no use for Trudeau. But, in this time of economic ruin, we need heavy doses Keynesian economics. And, blaming Trudeau's weak snail like response to this is a waste of energy. We are all in this together. There will be plenty of time for hating on Trudeau when we pull out of this crisis together.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: SHAME ON US!
Unread postPosted: March 27th, 2020, 9:52 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm
Posts: 4514
Post #1... great post.

He's wrong about people not suffering today though. There are plenty of people doing it tough.

I like the comment about recycling.

The older generation recycled everything because everything came in recyclable glass like milk and soft drinks and my grandmother used to save gift wrapping paper. I still do that too. You have to make sure you carefully unwrap the paper from the gift.

One old lady remarked to my grandmother... She said the younger generation worked harder than we did. She said in the old days, we had a washing day, a cooking day, a cleaning day, a shopping day and so on. These days. women wash, cook, clean, go to full time or part time jobs and shop EVERYDAY.

In the old days, bread was delivered and milk was delivered. So there is two things that weren't in shopping carts in the old days.

The 80 year old has blinkers on. He needs to open his eyes... bloody old grumpy curmudgeons. :sdfjh(2):


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: SHAME ON US!
Unread postPosted: March 27th, 2020, 10:38 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 1st, 2016, 6:51 pm
Posts: 9343
The Western world kisses islamic butt. The Western world floods their countries with millions of undocumented migrants. The Western world's number one concern is stopping the climate from changing. The West hates itself. When China controls the world, remember we did this to ourselves.

_________________
“No issue better illustrates the divide between America’s working class and America’s political class than illegal immigration- Donald J. Trump.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: SHAME ON US!
Unread postPosted: March 27th, 2020, 11:45 am 
User avatar

Joined: June 23rd, 2015, 9:41 am
Posts: 7092
caskur wrote:
Post #1... great post.

He's wrong about people not suffering today though. There are plenty of people doing it tough.

I like the comment about recycling.

The older generation recycled everything because everything came in recyclable glass like milk and soft drinks and my grandmother used to save gift wrapping paper. I still do that too. You have to make sure you carefully unwrap the paper from the gift.

One old lady remarked to my grandmother... She said the younger generation worked harder than we did. She said in the old days, we had a washing day, a cooking day, a cleaning day, a shopping day and so on. These days. women wash, cook, clean, go to full time or part time jobs and shop EVERYDAY.

In the old days, bread was delivered and milk was delivered. So there is two things that weren't in shopping carts in the old days.

The 80 year old has blinkers on. He needs to open his eyes... bloody old grumpy curmudgeons. :sdfjh(2):


You talk a lot of shit... trees, birds, bread, and milk..... you really need to just stfu....

_________________
Four smore and seven beers ago.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: SHAME ON US!
Unread postPosted: March 27th, 2020, 12:01 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm
Posts: 4514
Dinky Dazza wrote:
caskur wrote:
Post #1... great post.

He's wrong about people not suffering today though. There are plenty of people doing it tough.

I like the comment about recycling.

The older generation recycled everything because everything came in recyclable glass like milk and soft drinks and my grandmother used to save gift wrapping paper. I still do that too. You have to make sure you carefully unwrap the paper from the gift.

One old lady remarked to my grandmother... She said the younger generation worked harder than we did. She said in the old days, we had a washing day, a cooking day, a cleaning day, a shopping day and so on. These days. women wash, cook, clean, go to full time or part time jobs and shop EVERYDAY.

In the old days, bread was delivered and milk was delivered. So there is two things that weren't in shopping carts in the old days.

The 80 year old has blinkers on. He needs to open his eyes... bloody old grumpy curmudgeons. :sdfjh(2):


You talk a lot of shit... trees, birds, bread, and milk..... you really need to just stfu....



Put me on ignore clueless.

tyia.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: SHAME ON US!
Unread postPosted: March 27th, 2020, 12:15 pm 
User avatar

Joined: October 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm
Posts: 3576
iron horse jockey wrote:
The Western world kisses islamic butt. The Western world floods their countries with millions of undocumented migrants. The Western world's number one concern is stopping the climate from changing. The West hates itself. When China controls the world, remember we did this to ourselves.

China's ascent back to the top hasn't been good for the rest of the world.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: SHAME ON US!
Unread postPosted: April 1st, 2020, 5:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: October 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm
Posts: 3576
I don't blame Justin Trudeau for this..

Every Western country is in the same boat.

Feds likely didn't have enough protective gear in emergency stockpile: Hajdu

OTTAWA — The federal government likely did not have enough protective equipment in its emergency stockpile to meet needs during the COVID-19 pandemic, Health Minister Patty Hajdu acknowledges.

Federal officials are now working hard to procure scarce equipment such as surgical masks at a time when governments everywhere are scrambling to do the same, she said.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/c ... pile-hajdu


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC-07:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSN [Bot] and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
phpBB SEO
[ GZIP: On ]