It is currently December 15th, 2019, 8:57 pm

All times are UTC-08:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
Unread postPosted: November 19th, 2019, 3:51 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12755
CN is a bellweather of the economy. This isn't good.

By Mark Bonokoski of Sun News Media

The bad news for Canada’s economy is only getting worse.

CN Rail confirmed our faltering economy — aided by Donald Trump’s trade war with China and China’s hard-nosed approach to Canadian exports over the house arrest of a top Huawei executive at the behest of the U.S. — has begun cutting back freight volumes and laying off upwards of 1,600 workers.

This was seen coming, of course, when CN’S chief financial officer, Jean-jacques Ruest, put out a public warning in September that some of his company’s rails were a little dodgy.

“One in five Canadian jobs is dependent directly on trade,” he told CTV. “And we have a problem of a collapse of market access with the rest of the world, and with the United States.”

But where was this found in the election campaign as Canadian exports of canola, beef and pork were being terminated by China as two Canadians, Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, continued to languish in its jails on trumped-up charges because of the Huawei executive’s house arrest in Vancouver?

“One in five Canadian jobs is dependent directly on trade. And we have a problem of a collapse of market access with the rest of the world, and with the United States.” John moore, former federal industry minister

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 19th, 2019, 4:32 am 
User avatar

Joined: October 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm
Posts: 1166
seoulbro wrote:
CN is a bellweather of the economy. This isn't good.

By Mark Bonokoski of Sun News Media

The bad news for Canada’s economy is only getting worse.

CN Rail confirmed our faltering economy — aided by Donald Trump’s trade war with China and China’s hard-nosed approach to Canadian exports over the house arrest of a top Huawei executive at the behest of the U.S. — has begun cutting back freight volumes and laying off upwards of 1,600 workers.

This was seen coming, of course, when CN’S chief financial officer, Jean-jacques Ruest, put out a public warning in September that some of his company’s rails were a little dodgy.

“One in five Canadian jobs is dependent directly on trade,” he told CTV. “And we have a problem of a collapse of market access with the rest of the world, and with the United States.”

But where was this found in the election campaign as Canadian exports of canola, beef and pork were being terminated by China as two Canadians, Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, continued to languish in its jails on trumped-up charges because of the Huawei executive’s house arrest in Vancouver?

“One in five Canadian jobs is dependent directly on trade. And we have a problem of a collapse of market access with the rest of the world, and with the United States.” John moore, former federal industry minister

I heard CN's conductors and engineers were in a strike position, but I didn't know their business is slowing..

IHJ works for CP, he should know more about this.

_________________
https://www.santasanonymous.ca/


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 19th, 2019, 7:06 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 1st, 2016, 6:51 pm
Posts: 8681
Our grain and potash shipments are down. So far, no lay offs.

_________________
“No issue better illustrates the divide between America’s working class and America’s political class than illegal immigration- Donald J. Trump.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 19th, 2019, 10:42 am 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 16375
China is buying less of our ag products. Heavy rains this year is the other part of it.

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 19th, 2019, 12:08 pm 
User avatar

Joined: October 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm
Posts: 1166
I wonder if the federal government will force them back to work.

_________________
https://www.santasanonymous.ca/


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 19th, 2019, 5:51 pm 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 16375
Fashionista wrote:
I wonder if the federal government will force them back to work.

He needs the support of the ultra prog parties, so not a chance.

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 19th, 2019, 6:54 pm 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 16375
A long strike is bad news.

https://business.financialpost.com/tran ... 1574202865
A lengthy CN strike could hit country hard, with no remedy available from Parliament
Commodities could sit at source, manufacturing could slow for lack of incoming fuel and prairie provinces could end up at a standstill

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 19th, 2019, 7:27 pm 
User avatar

Joined: October 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm
Posts: 1166
Herman wrote:
Fashionista wrote:
I wonder if the federal government will force them back to work.

He needs the support of the ultra prog parties, so not a chance.

Than I hope they company and the union reach a settlement.

_________________
https://www.santasanonymous.ca/


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 19th, 2019, 8:42 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12755
Herman wrote:
A long strike is bad news.

https://business.financialpost.com/tran ... 1574202865
A lengthy CN strike could hit country hard, with no remedy available from Parliament
Commodities could sit at source, manufacturing could slow for lack of incoming fuel and prairie provinces could end up at a standstill

One in five Canadian jobs is dependent on international trade and a lot more still on interprovincial trade. This is the first big test of this new minority parliament. I want to think that Trudeau will put the nation's economic interests ahead of selfish political considerations, but it's Trudeau we are talking about. Like Fash said, our hope lies in a settlement.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 20th, 2019, 4:18 am 
User avatar

Joined: October 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm
Posts: 1166
This is what Herman was saying.

CN Rail strike and bad weather causing 'toughest year ever' for B.C. grain farmers
Half the crops still in the field, other half can't make it to market, says farmer

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5365460

_________________
https://www.santasanonymous.ca/


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 20th, 2019, 9:17 am 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 16375
Fashionista wrote:
This is what Herman was saying.

CN Rail strike and bad weather causing 'toughest year ever' for B.C. grain farmers
Half the crops still in the field, other half can't make it to market, says farmer

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5365460

Same here too.

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 20th, 2019, 5:10 pm 
User avatar

Joined: October 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm
Posts: 1166
Herman wrote:
Fashionista wrote:
This is what Herman was saying.

CN Rail strike and bad weather causing 'toughest year ever' for B.C. grain farmers
Half the crops still in the field, other half can't make it to market, says farmer

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5365460

Same here too.

We've had too much rain and snow in Alberta.

_________________
https://www.santasanonymous.ca/


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 20th, 2019, 6:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 16375
Another reason Justine won't order CN back to work: it hurts the West the most.
Image

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 20th, 2019, 8:06 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12755
Herman wrote:
Another reason Justine won't order CN back to work: it hurts the West the most.
Image

A prolonged strike could push us into recession this quarter. Growth is expected to fall anyway.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 21st, 2019, 6:15 pm 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 16375
Quebec doesn't want Alberta's petroleum products, but because of the CN strike they have five days left of propane. I hope they have blizzards and record cold.

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 21st, 2019, 8:05 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12755
Herman wrote:
Quebec doesn't want Alberta's petroleum products, but because of the CN strike they have five days left of propane. I hope they have blizzards and record cold.

I laughed at that.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 22nd, 2019, 4:17 am 
User avatar

Joined: October 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm
Posts: 1166
Herman wrote:
Quebec doesn't want Alberta's petroleum products, but because of the CN strike they have five days left of propane. I hope they have blizzards and record cold.

I read that this morning..

Now that Quebec wants Ottawa to intervene, they are more likely to do that.

_________________
https://www.santasanonymous.ca/


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 22nd, 2019, 5:16 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12755
Fashionista wrote:
Herman wrote:
Quebec doesn't want Alberta's petroleum products, but because of the CN strike they have five days left of propane. I hope they have blizzards and record cold.

I read that this morning..

Now that Quebec wants Ottawa to intervene, they are more likely to do that.

Bingo!

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 22nd, 2019, 6:57 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 1st, 2016, 6:51 pm
Posts: 8681
Herman wrote:
Quebec doesn't want Alberta's petroleum products, but because of the CN strike they have five days left of propane. I hope they have blizzards and record cold.

Justice. :thumbup:

_________________
“No issue better illustrates the divide between America’s working class and America’s political class than illegal immigration- Donald J. Trump.


Top
   
Unread postPosted: November 26th, 2019, 8:49 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 12755
Teamsters say they have reached a tentative deal with CN, work set to resume

MONTREAL — Teamsters Canada says it has reached a tentative agreement with Canadian National Railway Co. to renew the collective agreement for over 3,000 conductors, trainpersons and yard workers.

The union said normal operations at CN will resume Wednesday at 6 a.m. local time across Canada.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/t ... ailsignout

This terrific news.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC-08:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sasquatch and 45 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
phpBB SEO
[ GZIP: On ]