It is currently January 21st, 2019, 4:38 pm

All times are UTC-08:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 8:58 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 10089
First of all, I am not sold on a physical barrier slowing down the flow of people, and contraband. But, here's how a wall would stack up against other infrastructure projects.

By Michelle Malkin

Profligate politicians have never met a multi-billion-dollar infrastructure project they didn’t like — except when it comes to U.S. President Donald Trump’s border wall. Think about it. Boston’s Big Dig black hole, the nation’s most expensive highway project, burned through US$25 billion and was plagued by deadly engineering incompetence, endless cost overruns, leaks, lawsuits and debt.

California’s high-speed rail boondoggle is a $100-billion bullet train to nowhere. Gov. Jerry “Moonbeam” Brown promised a 2020 completion date for the miracle transportation system. The latest estimates predict it won’t open until at least 2033, and the costs keep rising.

Seattle’s ill-fated Alaskan Way Viaduct replacement topped out at $4 billion in local, state and federal funds for a two-mile bored road tunnel that will finally open next month — nearly four years behind schedule and hundreds of millions of dollars over budget.

What the Big Dig, bullet train boondoggle and Seattle squander all have in common is that political elites, lobbyists and corporate heavy-hitters trampled over grassroots citizen opposition to get their way. Too many government construction projects are built because these publicly subsidized gravy trains reward campaign donors, powerful public employee unions and assorted control freaks in the urban planning and transportation sectors.

Another glaring example? Across the country, voters have repeatedly rejected billion-dollar sports stadium and arena subsidies over the past 30 years — only to be sabotaged by bipartisan alliances overruling the will of the people. I used to run a watchdog website called “Porkwatch” filled with so many field-of-schemes case studies that I couldn’t keep track of them anymore.

Then there are all the taxfunded highways, bridges, museums and other edifices glorifying Beltway swamp creatures. The infamous Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia steered billions of federal dollars back to his home state, where more than 50 government buildings bear his or his wife’s name — not to mention an eponymous telescope, multiple libraries and “lifelong learning centres,” wellness centres, industrial parks, community centres, gardens, interchanges, highways, expressways, bridges, locks and a dam. A bas-relief sculpture of the alpha porker greets visitors at the Byrd dam, deemed unnecessary by locals.

Not to be outdone, GOP Sen. Mitch Mcconnell has his own park; former Democratic Sen. John Dingell has his own transit centre; the late Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg has his own rail station; tax cheat Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel has his own tax-funded “Charles B. Rangel Center for Public Service” at the City College of New York; and the recently retired powerbroker Democratic Sen. Harry Reid sponsored billions of dollars in egotistical earmarks, including several million for a “research and technology park” named after him.

Was there a swell of grassroots support for all these vanity projects? Was there overwhelming demand for the 10,000th long and windy road named after some blowhard incumbent hack?

Wouldn’t it be refreshing, for once, for the U.S. federal government to prioritize infrastructure that serves the national interest over special interests? And how about dedicating and consecrating this project in the memory of the thousands of Americans and law-abiding immigrants who have sacrificed their lives for our security? We’ve already got Adopt-ahighway sponsors. Why not an Adopt-a-wall program?

Open borders academics and media propagandists keep lecturing that Americans don’t want a wall. Yet, more than 325,000 citizens have raised $19.5 million in 22 days to fund the border that the Beltway obstinately refuses to fund.

President Trump’s defining battle against the Beltway to fortify our borders — by concrete, steel, increased manpower, electronic surveillance, all of it — isn’t just about fulfilling a campaign promise. The wall is a necessary monument to sovereignty in a nation clogged with billions of dollars of worthless political monuments to Me, Me, Me.

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 10:27 am 
User avatar

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 35801
I don't know what to think of a continuous man made made barrier across the American Southern border..

I don't believe it will ever be built.


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 11:11 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 1st, 2016, 6:51 pm
Posts: 6654
Fashionista wrote:
I don't know what to think of a continuous man made made barrier across the American Southern border..

I don't believe it will ever be built.

It will slow down the flow of illegal aliens and drugs. But, I don't have any confidence it will be built either.


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 11:35 am 
User avatar

Joined: January 25th, 2013, 4:29 pm
Posts: 9317
They could also build a shallow canal right next to the wall so that tunnels would get flooded..


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 11:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 35801
Odinson wrote:
They could also build a shallow canal right next to the wall so that tunnels would get flooded..

How much would that cost?


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 12:31 pm 

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 2:33 pm
Posts: 710
More Americans are blaming Trump rather than the Democratic congress for the shutdown, so I do not see congress making any deal with the president.

_________________
gay, conservative and proud


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 12:32 pm 
User avatar

Joined: January 25th, 2013, 4:29 pm
Posts: 9317
Fashionista wrote:
Odinson wrote:
They could also build a shallow canal right next to the wall so that tunnels would get flooded..

How much would that cost?


I´m using the Panama canal cost as reference..



562 billion dollars to build a similar canal for 3145 kilometres.


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 12:37 pm 

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 2:33 pm
Posts: 710
Odinson wrote:
Fashionista wrote:
Odinson wrote:
They could also build a shallow canal right next to the wall so that tunnels would get flooded..

How much would that cost?


I´m using the Panama canal cost as reference..



562 billion dollars to build a similar canal for 3145 kilometres.

Is that all.

_________________
gay, conservative and proud


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 4:10 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 1st, 2016, 6:51 pm
Posts: 6654
Thiel wrote:
More Americans are blaming Trump rather than the Democratic congress for the shutdown, so I do not see congress making any deal with the president.

Does that surprise anyone. The media hates Trump.


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 5:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: August 29th, 2017, 11:19 am
Posts: 3813
iron horse jockey wrote:
Thiel wrote:
More Americans are blaming Trump rather than the Democratic congress for the shutdown, so I do not see congress making any deal with the president.

Does that surprise anyone. The media hates Trump.
No doubt the mainstream media is nothing but a constant anti-Trump campaign commercial running 24/7.

----
According to authorities in Israel the wall there works extremely well.

I Want a Wall Just Like Israel's
https://townhall.com/columnists/wayneal ... s-n2538859
Quote:
Israel says illegal immigration has been completely halted. According to The Jerusalem Post, illegal immigration dropped from 9,500 in the six months before the wall was completed to 36 -- and eventually to zero. And drug smuggling has been dramatically reduced, too.

If it can work there, why not in the US?


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 5:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 35801
Wazzzup wrote:
iron horse jockey wrote:
Thiel wrote:
More Americans are blaming Trump rather than the Democratic congress for the shutdown, so I do not see congress making any deal with the president.

Does that surprise anyone. The media hates Trump.
No doubt the mainstream media is nothing but a constant anti-Trump campaign commercial running 24/7.

----
According to authorities in Israel the wall there works extremely well.

I Want a Wall Just Like Israel's
https://townhall.com/columnists/wayneal ... s-n2538859
Quote:
Israel says illegal immigration has been completely halted. According to The Jerusalem Post, illegal immigration dropped from 9,500 in the six months before the wall was completed to 36 -- and eventually to zero. And drug smuggling has been dramatically reduced, too.

If it can work there, why not in the US?

I thought most of Israel's illegal migrants came from Africa.


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 5:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 15th, 2018, 11:04 am
Posts: 767
Fashionista wrote:
Wazzzup wrote:
iron horse jockey wrote:
Thiel wrote:
More Americans are blaming Trump rather than the Democratic congress for the shutdown, so I do not see congress making any deal with the president.

Does that surprise anyone. The media hates Trump.
No doubt the mainstream media is nothing but a constant anti-Trump campaign commercial running 24/7.

----
According to authorities in Israel the wall there works extremely well.

I Want a Wall Just Like Israel's
https://townhall.com/columnists/wayneal ... s-n2538859
Quote:
Israel says illegal immigration has been completely halted. According to The Jerusalem Post, illegal immigration dropped from 9,500 in the six months before the wall was completed to 36 -- and eventually to zero. And drug smuggling has been dramatically reduced, too.

If it can work there, why not in the US?

I thought most of Israel's illegal migrants came from Africa.

A lot are from Eritrea and Sudan who entered Israel through Egypt.. Some are from the Philippines, China, Romania, Russia and Georgia who overstayed visas. The Netanyahu government is cracking down on illegals and deporting them.

_________________
The Russian Rock It


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 8:36 pm 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 12535
Each illegal alien costs the US taxpayer $70,000 or about seven times the cost of deporting them. If the wall stopped a conservative figure of 100,000 illegals it will have paid for itself in the first year.

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 9:19 pm 
User avatar

Joined: August 29th, 2017, 11:19 am
Posts: 3813
Herman wrote:
Each illegal alien costs the US taxpayer $70,000 or about seven times the cost of deporting them. If the wall stopped a conservative figure of 100,000 illegals it will have paid for itself in the first year.
I think its more than worth a gamble to find out. At worst it will be 20 billion wasted (which I doubt, the wall should have, at the very least, some effectiveness.) In US government terms 20 billion is nothing. Especially compared to the $22 trillion spent on anti-poverty programs over the last 50 years with little or nothing to show for it.

I think what you said is correct, the wall could very well pay for itself. I hope we get to find out.


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 9:22 pm 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 12535
Wazzzup wrote:
Herman wrote:
Each illegal alien costs the US taxpayer $70,000 or about seven times the cost of deporting them. If the wall stopped a conservative figure of 100,000 illegals it will have paid for itself in the first year.
I think its more than worth a gamble to find out. At worst it will be 20 billion wasted (which I doubt, the wall should have, at the very least, some effectiveness.) In US government terms 20 billion is nothing. Especially compared to the $22 trillion spent on anti-poverty programs over the last 50 years with little or nothing to show for it.

Like the op said, California wasted a lot more than that.

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 10:40 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 24th, 2015, 7:57 pm
Posts: 19855
Thiel wrote:
More Americans are blaming Trump rather than the Democratic congress for the shutdown, so I do not see congress making any deal with the president.


I thought he still had the public on his side.

We'll soon find out. He will have no other option but to declare a state of emergency.

_________________
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” - W. C. Fields.


Top
Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2019, 10:45 pm 
User avatar

Joined: July 20th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Posts: 12535
Bricktop wrote:
Thiel wrote:
More Americans are blaming Trump rather than the Democratic congress for the shutdown, so I do not see congress making any deal with the president.


I thought he still had the public on his side.

We'll soon find out. He will have no other option but to declare a state of emergency.

There will be political consequences for that too.

_________________
prairie redneck.


Top
Unread postPosted: January 15th, 2019, 8:22 am 
User avatar

Joined: August 29th, 2017, 11:19 am
Posts: 3813
Herman wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Thiel wrote:
More Americans are blaming Trump rather than the Democratic congress for the shutdown, so I do not see congress making any deal with the president.


I thought he still had the public on his side.

We'll soon find out. He will have no other option but to declare a state of emergency.

There will be political consequences for that too.


I think those would probably be over quickly. Trump would appropriate the money. The government would re-open, and no one would even know the money was spent. The dems and the media would wail and gnash their teeth about it, but they would do that anyway.

I'ts sad that the American people don't really get what is going on. For literally years the democrats have gotten everything they wanted. They've done that by threatening shutdown after shutdown. They are really the ones that refuse to compromise, and as they love to say, "throw a tantrum" and shut down the government when they don't get their way on everything. And they will continue to use this threat again and again with impunity knowing the media will always cover for them.

This should have been done two years ago when it would have been much easier.


Top
Unread postPosted: January 15th, 2019, 8:31 am 
User avatar

Joined: August 29th, 2017, 11:19 am
Posts: 3813
Gaon wrote:
Fashionista wrote:
Wazzzup wrote:
iron horse jockey wrote:
Thiel wrote:
More Americans are blaming Trump rather than the Democratic congress for the shutdown, so I do not see congress making any deal with the president.

Does that surprise anyone. The media hates Trump.
No doubt the mainstream media is nothing but a constant anti-Trump campaign commercial running 24/7.

----
According to authorities in Israel the wall there works extremely well.

I Want a Wall Just Like Israel's
https://townhall.com/columnists/wayneal ... s-n2538859
Quote:
Israel says illegal immigration has been completely halted. According to The Jerusalem Post, illegal immigration dropped from 9,500 in the six months before the wall was completed to 36 -- and eventually to zero. And drug smuggling has been dramatically reduced, too.

If it can work there, why not in the US?

I thought most of Israel's illegal migrants came from Africa.

A lot are from Eritrea and Sudan who entered Israel through Egypt.. Some are from the Philippines, China, Romania, Russia and Georgia who overstayed visas. The Netanyahu government is cracking down on illegals and deporting them.
How are the Sudanese and Eritreans getting in through Egypt, are they getting past the barriers or are they being let in?


Top
Unread postPosted: January 15th, 2019, 9:46 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Posts: 10089
By Walter E Williams

The politics of immigration

Here are a couple of easy immigration questions — answerable with a simple “yes” or “no” — we might ask any American of any political stripe: Does everyone in the world have a right to live in the U.S.? Do the American people have a right, through their elected representatives, to decide who has the right to immigrate to their country and under what conditions? I believe that most Americans, even today’s open-borders people, would answer “no” to the first question and “yes” to the second.

There’s nothing new about this vision. Americans have held this view throughout our history, during times when immigration laws were very restrictive and when they were more relaxed. Tucker Carlson, host of Fox News Channel’s “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” gives us an interesting history lesson about immigration at Prager University.

It was prompted by his watching a group of protesters who were denouncing President Donald Trump’s immigration policies. They were waving Mexican flags and shouting, “Si, se puede!” (“Yes, we can!”)

Unbeknownst to the protesters, the expression “Si, se puede” was a saying of Cesar Chavez’s. When Chavez, the founder of the United Farm Workers union, used the expression “Yes, we can,” he meant something entirely different: “Yes, we can” seal the borders. He hated illegal immigration. Chavez explained, “As long as we have a poor country bordering California, it’s going to be very difficult to win strikes.” Why? Farmers are willing to hire low-wage immigrants here illegally. Chavez had allies in his protest against the hiring of undocumented workers and lax enforcement of immigration laws. Included in one of his protest marches were Democratic Sen. Walter Mondale and a longtime Martin Luther King Jr. aide, the Rev. Ralph Abernathy.

Peaceful protest wasn’t Chavez’s only tool. He sent union members into the desert to assault Mexicans who were trying to sneak in to the country. They beat the Mexicans with chains and whips made of barbed wire. Undocumented immigrants who worked during strikes had their houses firebombed and their cars burned. By the way, Chavez remains a leftist hero. President Barack Obama declared his birthday a commemorative federal holiday, an official day off in several states. A number of buildings and student centers on college campuses and dozens of public schools bear the name Cesar Chavez.

Democrats have long taken stances against both legal and illegal immigration. In 1975, California Gov. Jerry Brown opposed Vietnamese immigration, saying that the state had enough poor people. He added, “There is something a little strange about saying 'Let’s bring in 500,000 more people’ when we can’t take care of the 1 million (Californians) out of work.”

In his 1995 State of the Union address, President Bill Clinton said: “All Americans ... are rightly disturbed by the large numbers of illegal aliens entering our country. The jobs they hold might otherwise be held by citizens or legal immigrants. The public service they use impose burdens on our taxpayers.” On a 1994 edition of CBS’ “Face the Nation,” Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-calif., declared: “Border control is a federal responsibility. We simply don’t enforce our borders adequately. In my state, you have about 2,000 people a day, illegally, who cross the border. Now, this adds up to about 2 million people who compete for housing, who compete for classroom space.”

She added: “In 1988, there were about 3,000 people on Medicaid. There’re well over 300,000 (people on Medicaid) today who are illegal aliens. That presents obvious problems.” Tucker Carlson has a fourpart explanation for the Democratic Party’s changing position on illegal immigration. He says, “One: According to a recent study from Yale, there are at least 22 million illegal immigrants living in the United States. Two: Democrats plan to give all of them citizenship. Read the Democrats’ 2016 party platform. Three: Studies show the overwhelming majority of firsttime immigrant voters vote Democrat. Four: The biggest landslide in American presidential history was only 17 million votes.

Do the math. The payoff for Democrats: permanent electoral majority for the foreseeable future. In a word: power.”

_________________
A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. Friedrich August von Hayek


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC-08:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Peaches and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
phpBB SEO
[ GZIP: On ]