It is currently December 11th, 2019, 3:00 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 17 Next
Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 10:05 am 

seoulbro wrote:
Putting up a facade
Trudeau isn’t what he claims in standing up for women or minorities

Sometimes as I walk down the street, I see the way people are dressed and wonder if they own a mirror. Then there are the times that I listen to people speak and wonder if they hear themselves.

That’s how I felt listening to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speak about Conservative leader Andrew Scheer on Thursday. Scheer had been asked about his stance on same-sex marriage after the Liberals released a 15 year-old video of Scheer saying he didn’t support same-sex marriage — much like many Liberals back in 2004-05.

Scheer’s answer to the media was simple, he believes in equal rights for all, he supports the law as it is and won’t be reopening this issue or the abortion issue the Liberals keep bringing up.

“It’s not enough to reluctantly support the law because it’s a law, especially when it comes to the rights of women and LGBT2Q communities,” Trudeau said at an event in British Columbia.

Really? He followed that up with another problematic statement.

“People need to know that their prime minister will defend them,” Trudeau said.

Alright, let me unpack some of this for you and explain why these comments are a problem.

Respecting law

First off, on respecting the law, Justin Trudeau has been found to have broken the law twice. His supporters will say that he broke the ethics act and not the Criminal Code and therefore he didn’t break the law. That’s a lie.

He broke the Conflict of Interest Act, not once — but twice. His latest violation was to try and interfere in a criminal prosecution of a company accused of bribery and corruption. So no, Trudeau didn’t break the Criminal Code, but he still broke the law.

And by the way, if we only need to worry about respecting the Criminal Code, then let me point out that the law on same-sex marriage is not part of the Criminal Code. You see how this is getting slippery for Trudeau and the Liberals.

The second statement, though — the one where Trudeau says people need to know that their PM will “defend them”

— is a problem because in Trudeau’s own home province of Quebec, he’s not defending people who are being targeted for who they are.

Quebec recently passed Bill 21, which bans the wearing of religious garb or symbols for people working in the public service.

Teachers can’t wear a crucifix, a yarmulke or a hijab or any other religious symbol. Neither can police officers or many other civil servants.

It’s a major intrusion into the personal lives of citizens and one the Quebec government passed using the notwithstanding clause of the Charter.

Compared to last year when Ontario’s Ford government threatened to use that clause to shrink the size of Toronto city council, Trudeau has been relatively quiet. When Ontario wanted to reduce the number of politicians, it was a national outrage that all Liberals were commenting on.

When Quebec seeks to actually infringe individual liberties, the Liberals are pretty quiet lest they lose votes in the coming election.

Let’s face facts here, the social issues that are in the news are being brought up by Liberals who have a simple message for women. They want to send the message that you can’t vote for Andrew Scheer or he might, despite assurances otherwise, ban all abortions and end same-sex marriage. Instead the Liberals want you to vote for a man who shows that he is a strong feminist by groping a woman and claiming that she “experienced it differently” and who fired two women that stood up to him. And he won’t stand up for people being attacked by his own provincial government. Justin Trudeau can’t claim to be a friend to women or to the minorities he claims to protect.

The district attorney's office in Israel is seeking to prosecute Netanyahu for a lot less than what Trudeau did.

Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 3:46 pm 

Jesus Christ, the latest poll by EKOS puts Justine within striking range of another majority. What the hell does this clown have to do before Canadians stop turning the other cheek.

Unread postPosted: September 8th, 2019, 2:11 pm 

Since I am not voting for him or any Canadian in October, I feel I have no skin in the game but that is also not so accurate. I probably just don't feel it yet. Give me time.

Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don't take it so seriously.

Unread postPosted: September 8th, 2019, 7:25 pm 

@realAzhyaAryola wrote:
Since I am not voting for him or any Canadian in October, I feel I have no skin in the game but that is also not so accurate. I probably just don't feel it yet. Give me time.

Old Gaon aint a citizen either and he won't be voting. But, he works, he pays taxes and his taxes will go up when Justine is reelected.

Unread postPosted: September 11th, 2019, 10:15 am 

This is written by a Liberal, Wareen Kinsella. If Liberals are not buying Trudeau's BS, why should anyone else.

Grits in deep trouble
Trudeau talks middle class, but has never experienced it

In it for you.

It’s the New Democrats — now a sad shadow of their former selves — who, ironically, came up with the best slogan for the 2019 federal election campaign: In it for you.

That’s what just about every election campaign is about, this one included. Which party best understands the lives of everyday Canadians. Which leader actually has the best understanding of the struggles your family faces every single day.

Justin Trudeau is at a big disadvantage, here. That’s because Justin wasn’t simply born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

It was more like a silver shovel.

Trudeau is the guy who likes to talk about the middle class, a lot. But he has never, ever actually experienced the middle class. Trudeau has never had to worry about paying the rent, or coming up with the next mortgage payment.

He has never wondered where he’ll get the dough to pay a hydro bill. He has never wanted for anything. His life has been one of mansions, private jets and hanging out with celebrities like the Aga Khan.

Against Andrew Scheer — who grew up in a big immigrant Catholic family and whose family didn’t have the wealth Trudeau did — the Liberal leader will likely appear privileged and out-oftouch. Scheer worked as a waiter and a salesman.

Trudeau, meanwhile, wears a $15,000 IWC Portuguese Regulateur watch and drives a Mercedes-benz 300SL he got from his dad. (Which, apparently, can sell for millions.)

Who is in it for me — who best understands my life?

If the 2019 election ballot question becomes that question, Justin Trudeau is in deep, deep trouble. Smart Liberals know this. That’s why Trudeau rolls up his sleeves, and loosens his tie, and rarely wears a suit when on the campaign hustings. That’s why he talks about the middle class all the time.

But not all Liberals are smart.

Last week, some less-thansmart Grits revealed a big poster of Finance Minister Bill Morneau wearing an expensive, tailor-made bespoke suit, tugging at what looked like French cuffs and pricey cufflinks. It didn’t exactly scream “middle class.”

By this week, Liberals had pasted over that unhelpful image with campaign posters.

But the deeply dumb Liberals weren’t done yet. Shortly afterwards, some of them actually cooked up a hashtag to mock Scheer’s comparatively humble beginnings. One of them, a Liberal MP — the heretofore unknown Gagan Sikand, soon to be the former MP for Mississauga-streetsville — actually tweeted this: “# Scheerwassopoor he had to buy his Conservative Values second-hand from Stephen Harper.”

Sikand, a lawyer, actually wrote that. He actually tweeted that. It was the 2019 campaign’s Beer-and-popcorn moment: people with more, making fun of people who have less.

Lots of other Liberals went online, too, giddily promoting the “Scheer Was So Poor” hashtag.

It recalled late 2005, when this writer was huddled on a cold bench at a hockey rink somewhere, waiting out a son’s early-morning practice. A revelation hit me: the Liberals were Starbucks, and the Conservatives were Tim Horton’s. The Tories were going to win with a campaign that was aimed at the Tim’s crowd, not the latte-sipping elites who frequent Starbucks. And win they did.

No one should ever underestimate Trudeau’s retail political skills. No one should ever discount his party’s organizational chops.

But if this race truly becomes who is really “in it for you,” then Justin Trudeau is going to lose it.

Unread postPosted: September 12th, 2019, 6:08 am 

Justin Trudeau is blocking an RCMP investigation into the SNC-Lavalin scandal.

Unread postPosted: September 12th, 2019, 9:23 am 

Trudeau’s proven to be his own worst enemy

Win or lose this election, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau enters the campaign as damaged goods compared to the politician Canadians thought they were electing in 2015.

Back then, Trudeau was all shiny and new as the Liberal underdog and third-party leader, his campaign invoking memories of his late father, Pierre Trudeau, and the “Trudeaumania” that accompanied his first election victory in 1968.

In 2015, his son promised Canadians a kinder, gentler politics, where he would “grow the economy from the heart outwards” through “sunny ways.”

In his victory speech on Oct. 19, 2015, having defeated the Stephen Harper Conservatives, Trudeau said: “I want to remind everyone … Conservatives are not our enemies, they’re our neighbours. Leadership is about bringing people of all different perspectives together.”

But that was then and this is now.

Today, the greatest threat to a repeat victory for Trudeau is the political wounds he inflicted on himself, led by his role in the SNC-Lavalin scandal.

Already found by federal ethics commissioner Mario Dion to have violated Canada’s conflict-of-interest legislation by pressuring then-attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould to grant a deferred prosecution agreement to the scandal-plagued Quebec company for political reasons, the controversy blew up again on Wednesday as Trudeau launched his campaign.

This because of a report in The Globe and Mail that the federal government, claiming cabinet confidentiality, is blocking the RCMP from accessing documents and questioning witnesses regarding a possible obstruction of justice investigation.

While the Globe said the RCMP has not officially launched a criminal investigation, these are the same complaints Dion made about a lack of access to relevant documents and witnesses in his report on the scandal.

That was the second time the ethics commissioner’s office — the first time was when it was headed by Mary Dawson — found Trudeau violated conflict of interest legislation by taking a family vacation on the private Bahamas island of the Aga Khan in January, 2017.

While Trudeau has promised to run a positive campaign, the Liberals under his leadership have been smearing Conservative leader Andrew Scheer for months as a white-supremacist sympathizing, immigrant-bashing, homophobe, who will ban same-sex marriages and abortions if he wins.

So much for Trudeau’s “sunny ways” and calling Conservative not enemies but neighbours.

So much for Trudeau’s promise to unite Canadians, since his energy and climate change policies have divided the nation in half, with Conservative support concentrated in the west, Liberal support in the east.

The Liberals are clearly nervous about running solely on Trudeau’s economic record, a positive one on employment and poverty reduction, but dismal on deficit and debt reduction, compared to his 2015 election promises.

Because of that, Trudeau is shamelessly trying to bribe Canadians with their own money, the oldest political trick in the book.

David Akin at Global News, who has tracked government spending announcements for years, reported recently that in August alone, the Liberals made 4,545 new spending commitments worth $12.8 billion, compared to the Conservatives’ 604 new commitments worth $1.4 billion a month prior to the 2015 election.

According to the polls, it might work, because despite the Liberals and Conservatives being statistically tied in the popular vote, Liberal strength in the east is more efficient in terms of winning seats than Conservative support in the west.

We’ll know on Oct. 21, but whatever the outcome, Trudeau will never again be viewed as Canada’s knight in shining armour, because after four years in power, there’s too much dirt on it.
https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... orst-enemy

Unread postPosted: September 12th, 2019, 12:04 pm 

Unread postPosted: September 14th, 2019, 9:15 am 

Grits gained most from gov’t largesse

Ottawa — the official campaign may be in its infancy, but over the summer Liberal politicians were already hard at work, roaming the country and making hundreds of spending announcements in Canadian ridings.

the Canadian press tracked those events — grants for everything from dairy farmers to local festivals to companies run by women — totalling almost 1,000 announcements worth more than $10 billion in promised funding.

those numbers are conservative. they don’t include official government contracts (such as the multibillion-dollar award to General dynamics in London, Ont.), pre-set transfers like the Gas tax Fund, “re-announcements” of old funding or spending outside of Canada.

announcements for multiple recipients or ridings counted as a single commitment to the riding where the event took place, or where the bulk of the money is flowing.

Liberal ridings were the primary recipient of government largesse, comprising about 75% of the total. Of those, the local mp was either on hand or the person who delivered the good news 80% of the time.

Interestingly, roughly equal proportions of the spending was aimed at Ndp and Conservative ridings — 15% and 13%, respectively.

a caveat: announcing a project in a certain riding doesn’t necessarily indicate the presence of so-called “pork-barrel” politics, where spending is distributed for political gain.

Unread postPosted: September 15th, 2019, 2:22 pm 

The media holds Scheer to a different standard than they do Trudeau.

Teflon Justin
There are things Trudeau can get away with much easier than Scheer

I was once on a CBC radio panel in the late 1980s when the topic turned to then-premier of Nova Scotia, John Buchanan. At the time, Brian Mulroney was prime minister.

I’ve forgotten the issue, but it had to do with Buchanan’s integrity.

The Maritime journalist on the panel said of Buchanan — who was a wily but charming politician — “John Buchanan is a hard man to disbelieve even when you know he’s lying, while Brian Mulroney is hard to believe even when you know he’s telling the truth.”

I’ve been reminded of that quotation watching Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer trying to take on Liberal Leader and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Scheer should be wiping the floor with Trudeau. By all accounts, Scheer is smart, personable and a competent administrator. Meanwhile, Trudeau is an insincere (smarmy even) lightweight. He is the first prime minister to be found in violation of Parliament’s ethics rules — and not once, but twice!

He’s good at promising action, until it requires him to lift a finger, and good at apologizing until he’s the one with something to be sorry for.

Trudeau’s tickle-trunk trip to India is the single most embarrassing foreign relations gaffe I can recall from a Canadian leader.

He’s all for women’s equality when he’s not groping them and all for Indigenous reconciliation when he’s not firing the first Indigenous cabinet minister with the guts to stand up to him.

And he’s a bully with no respect for the rule of law or the independent administration of justice.

Yet there are still enough Canadians — mostly in large urban centres in Central Canada and on the West Coast — who find it hard to stay angry when he smiles that pearly smile, ruffles that tousled mop and spouts vacuous platitudes about the middle-class and choosing “forward.”

Meanwhile, Andrew Scheer can’t help adding to the impression he has a hidden agenda, or at the very least is not being fully forthright with Canadians about abortion, same-sex marriage and Quebec’s legal ban on public servants wearing any kind of religious symbol.

Trudeau claims to be “deeply opposed” to Quebec’s Bill 21 and insists he is monitoring it “very closely.” Still, he concludes “it would be counterproductive for the federal government to engage in this process.”

So, even though you’re worried it’s a violation of the Charter, Mr. Prime Minister, you’re not willing to get involved now because involvement would hurt your chances of winning the Quebec seats (Bill 21 is popular in Quebec) you need for re-election.

Scheer’s position doesn’t differ much from Trudeau’s. He says the feds should “always stand up for the rights of Canadians and the rights for expression and the rights of freedom of religion,” but, naw, he’s not going to intervene, either.

Yet when Scheer says it, he sounds as if he wants to say what should be said — namely that Quebec’s ban is obnoxious and oppressive and an offence to democratic rights — but he, too, is hiding his true feelings just to win Quebec support.

Somehow, though, Scheer can’t pull off duplicity with the same ease Trudeau can.

It’s grossly unfair. Scheer often believes the right thing but won’t say it, while Trudeau says the right thing but doesn’t believe it.

A lot of bad things sit just under the horizon. The economy is sputtering, although not yet in recession — and the Liberals are economic bumblers. The RCMP may well launch a criminal investigation into the Snc-lavalin affair. And our two Canadian political prisoners in China are no closer to release.

Yet none of these bombs is likely to detonate before the Liberals win re-election on Oct 21.

John Buchanan could make Trudeau wear all that, but Andrew Scheer likely can’t.

Unread postPosted: September 15th, 2019, 2:49 pm 

This cover up is the second time he is guilty of obstructing justice.

By Brian Lilley of Sun News Media

PM wants to hide the truth
Trudeau tries to mislead on RCMP and SNC-Lavalin

Justin Trudeau wants you to know that he fully respects the decisions of Canada’s professional public servants — as long as they line up with what helps him politically.

The Liberals couldn’t have hoped for a worse kickoff to the election campaign than for the revelation he stopped the RCMP from gaining full access to witnesses and documents in the Snc-lavalin case.

He did that by refusing to waive cabinet confidence so that the national police could do their job.

What Trudeau wants you to think is that this was the decision of one man and he couldn’t possibly have changed it.

“We respect the decisions made by our professional public servants. We respect the decision made by the clerk,” Trudeau said when asked if he would grant a wider waiver.

It’s a false claim by Trudeau that he respects the decisions of “our professional public servants.”

The whole Snc-lavalin affair is over his attempt to change the decision of the independent director of public prosecution.

Trudeau didn’t like that the person in charge of criminal prosecutions was going to take a powerful and well-connected Quebec company to court on bribery and corruption charges.

He asked then-attorney general Jody Wilson-raybould to overrule the director. When she refused, he fired her.

We have an independent director of public prosecutions specifically to take the politics out of criminal cases.

The office was established by the Harper Conservatives in 2006 in the wake of the sponsorship scandal.

Now, faced with the biggest test of the director in Trudeau’s mandate, we see the Liberals trying to politicize this independent office.

He didn’t like the decision of the office. He didn’t agree with it. He didn’t respect it.

He wanted it changed at all costs.

Agreeing with the clerk’s decision not to expand a waiver was easy for Trudeau — it stopped the RCMP from snooping around any further.

He could simply have waived cabinet confidence with a memo to the clerk, but he won’t.

Trudeau wants the public to believe three main things about this issue that are false, and is hoping to confuse the issue so voters dismiss it as too complex and move on.

He wants you to believe he can’t waive cabinet confidence because the clerk made his decision. That’s not true. He can, and he can do it easily.

He wants you to believe that he has already granted an “unprecedented” waiver to allow people to speak freely. This is false as well. In both the Mike Duffy trial and the Gomery inquiry into the sponsorship scandal, the waivers granted by PMS Stephen Harper, Paul Martin and Jean Chretien were more expansive.

Wilson-raybould and others have said there is more to this story that they would like to share, but can’t.

Finally, Trudeau wants you to believe the police are not and were not investigating the actions of his office.

While it is true the RCMP will not probe this matter further during the campaign, it is also true that for a month they have been asking questions, asking for documents, asking for a waiver and interviewing witnesses as they did with Wilson-raybould last week.

The Liberals can call it whatever they want — the police were investigating them right until the moment the election was called.

If Trudeau wins any sort of power again, he will use it to make sure that we never find out the truth.

We have a prime minister that has shown he wants two-tier justice in Canada — one set of rules for those with friends in high places and another for the rest of us.

On Oct. 21, we get to decide if that is what we want as a country.

Unread postPosted: September 16th, 2019, 4:44 pm 

I keep looking for Liberal support to drop in Ontario, but they seem stupid.

Unread postPosted: September 16th, 2019, 6:08 pm 

Harper took daily questions in 2015, but Justine is not in this election. He is chickenshit.

Unread postPosted: September 17th, 2019, 3:26 am 

Herman wrote:
Harper took daily questions in 2015, but Justine is not in this election. He is chickenshit.

Trudeau gets away with a lot.

Unread postPosted: September 17th, 2019, 6:03 pm 

Unread postPosted: September 17th, 2019, 6:29 pm 

I don't get you guys.

I can't think of another country within the western democratic nations that would endure a buffoon as clearly dishonest and devious as this clown.

He embarrasses your State.

Even in a distant land like ours, he's infamous for being inept, deceitful, dubious and duplicitous.

Yet he is destined to win another election???

Unread postPosted: September 17th, 2019, 7:00 pm 

Bricktop wrote:
I don't get you guys.

I can't think of another country within the western democratic nations that would endure a buffoon as clearly dishonest and devious as this clown.

Even in a distant land like ours, he's infamous for being inept, deceitful, dubious and duplicitous.

Right

Unread postPosted: September 18th, 2019, 6:23 am 

Bricktop wrote:
I don't get you guys.

This country is hooped. I am out of here in four and a half years. After that, Canada can become an islamic theocracy for all I care.

Unread postPosted: September 20th, 2019, 7:26 am 

I can't wait to see the most recent polls.

Unread postPosted: September 22nd, 2019, 4:29 am 

If true, this will confiscate a lot of wealth in this country. Canadians net worth is tied up in their homes.

Bad enough Liberals want your vote, they also want your home

Toronto —

“@Justin trudeau and @ toadamvaughan have a secret plan to tax the sale of your home at 50%,” it reads. “this is trudeau’s secret agenda: tax hikes to pay for his massive deficits. you work hard, you increase the value of your home, and the Liberals take 50%. How is that fair? #notasadvertised.” taxing 50% would be criminal, of course. even the sketchiest credit-card provider and those devious pay-day loan outfits aren’t that greedy. but any tax on the sale of one’s main home would also be wrong, unless there was a business link. yet, if the trudeau Liberals get re-elected, any of the profits people use from the sale of their principal residence to fund their kids’ postsecondary years, or to provide a cushion for retirement, could be cut in half in some cases.

the tories even posted the Liberal document from

2018 outlining the plan.

Adam Vaughan was quick to call it hogwash.

Scheer was even pressed by the media whether he would apologize for the tweet, and stop flinging the accusation around, as if adam Vaughan were suddenly the bearer of an undeniable truth.

but search out the tweet yourself, look at the Liberal document attached, and see if it rings true to you.

the attachment has a paragraph on “Campaign platform 2019,” that reads: “another idea that emerged from housing town halls is a sliding Capital Gains tax on principle (sic) residences. a 50% tax after one year of ownership, 25% after two years, 15% after three years, 10% after four years, 5% after five.”

all the Liberals have admitted thus far is a 1% tax on non-resident non-canadians to prevent foreign speculators from driving up housing prices to the point that the middle class is left out of the homeownership dream.

If this is their only plan, and not their “secret one,” then why not a 50% tax on foreign ownership to put a stop to the mega-home purchases heating up home prices in cities like Vancouver, which are often a more subtle way of washing dirty money than lugging a hockey bag into a casino crammed with cash?

the Liberals’ war room is seasoned, and therefore not dumb. they have been rattled for weeks and, now with pm blackface, they will do anything to retain power-and a sudden 50% capital gains tax is not too low for them to go if they somehow get re-elected.

Just don’t expect them to admit it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 17 Next