It is currently January 23rd, 2020, 2:35 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next
Unread postPosted: December 17th, 2019, 8:36 am 

Our slacker pm decides to take it even easier

What do you get for the prime minister who has everything? An all-expenses paid trip to a billionaire’s island? Maybe some non-denominational December holiday socks? How about Al Jolson’s greatest hits on Blu-ray?

That said, gifts may not be required on this occasion. What we’re celebrating — Justin Trudeau’s latest career move — may be the present itself. For him and for us.

What, you didn’t hear? Yes, career move is right. The PM has retired. Or at least semi-retired.

You may not have noticed because it’s a gradual transition. He’s slowly trimming his workload, like those people who subtly shift from five days in the office to four and then three in advance of full retirement.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the basic nuts and bolts of this news. I keep re-reading this succinct headline from The Globe & Mail that was posted on Friday: “Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland given mandate to play key role in every top federal government file.”

What on earth does that mean? Take a second look at some of those phrases: key role, every top file. I don’t know how they do things in the PMO but where I come from — by which I mean reality — those are descriptions usually assigned to the CEO, to the person entirely in charge.

This all came about after the government posted the federal cabinet’s mandate letters, which are the documents the PMO sends over to ministers to tell them their marching orders.

Intellectually, I understand the news about Freeland taking on more tasks. But on a much more basic level I don’t understand it at all. Let me get this straight: We’ve got this guy who was recently re-elected as prime minister and yet he’s just rearranged things so that ... he’s no longer prime minister.

Trudeau will still get the title and the salary, but he won’t be doing the work.

It’s typical that the roles of vice-president in the United States and deputy prime minister in Canada are figurehead positions. They’re more symbolic than anything else.

That’s now been turned on its head. The role of deputy PM under Freeland will be the post that actually gets the job done while the position of prime minister becomes the symbolic one.

I’m beginning to think those people who complain about privileged white men sitting around doing nothing but still expecting to bask in unearned praise are on to something.

Then again, we can’t say we weren’t warned. When then-ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson issued her 2017 report on Trudeau’s excellent adventure on the Aga Khan’s island, she wrote that the PM viewed much of his role as “ceremonial” and that the work he does is “centred on relationship building and ensuring that all parties are moving forward together. Specific issues or details are worked out before, subsequently or independently of, any meeting he attends.”

In other words, the PM is something of a mascot (please, no blackface jokes!) combined with one of those people you run into at parties who tells you they’re a life coach but we really know they’re just at home watching Netflix all day.

Then again, I can’t say I didn’t warn you. Two years ago when they were still figuring out who would be the next governor general, I wrote a column recommending Trudeau for the position. Switch the guy out into something that’s a better fit. A winwin for all.

This whole thing is either madness or genius. Nobody seems too bothered by it though. There’s been very little analysis or commentary. Maybe that’s because there’s an unspoken agreement between every single animate object in this country — Liberals included, inanimate Liberals included — that perhaps we’re all better off with Trudeau keeping away from anything marked fragile.

Let’s call it a stroke of genius then. And so let the good cheer of the holiday spirit wash over us all and offer nothing but best wishes for Justin Trudeau as he embarks on this new chapter in his career.

Let me get this straight: We’ve got this guy who was recently re-elected as prime minister and yet he’s just rearranged things so that ... he’s no longer prime minister.

Unread postPosted: December 17th, 2019, 9:22 am 

Trudeau needs a break from um er, taking it easy.

Unread postPosted: December 17th, 2019, 12:51 pm 

Unread postPosted: December 20th, 2019, 7:06 pm 

Unread postPosted: December 22nd, 2019, 4:23 pm 

Herman wrote:

Who voted for that twit.

Unread postPosted: December 29th, 2019, 9:40 am 

Five or 10 years from now, I think (and hope) we will wonder how Justin Trudeau and his Liberals ever won re-election, even if only with a minority. Trudeau’s myriad scandals and ethics violations would certainly have sunk any PM with the intelligence to be ashamed by them.

That means the No. 1 factor in Trudeau’s victory was his inability to understand what he had done wrong coupled with his inherent arrogance to believe that even if he had erred, the country needed him so badly his political sins should be overlooked.

Many of the Liberal strategists behind Trudeau’s federal government were first organizers for the Ontario Liberal governments of Dalton Mcguinty and Kathleen Wynne.

In Ontario, as in Ottawa, their obsession with “green” energy and climate alarmism stagnated the economy. Thanks to their policies, electricity prices more than doubled driving as many as 200,000 manufacturing jobs out of Ontario.

Yet, the provincial Liberals won re-election three times by scaring urban and suburban voters about the hidden agendas of a succession of weak Conservative leaders. Sound familiar? Trudeau won re-election despite the Snc-lavalin scandal, the blackface scandal, his flubs on foreign policy, his endless virtue-signally and grandiose apologies for longpast atrocities because he was able to convince voters in Greater Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver that Conservative leader Andrew Scheer was a scary social conservative — and Scheer was such a poor candidate, he let him.

Trudeau’s re-election has made Western separatism a real threat. And that might make 2019, in hindsight, Canada’s annus horribilis.

Unread postPosted: December 29th, 2019, 10:09 am 

Trudeau was re-elected, but it was far from a good year for him

At first glance, it may seem like Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had a pretty good year. After all, he managed to squeeze through the October election with a minority government despite having a lower approval rating in Canada than Donald Trump in the U.S.

Trudeau practically bribed the media with bailout funds, ran a divisive campaign that pit Canadians against each other and aimed to ruin the reputation of those who stood in his way.

It paid off, and Trudeau won the election. But that doesn’t mean that 2019 was a good year for him. Au contraire. It was another year full of missteps, gaffes and embarrassing moments that made all Canadians cringe.

Without further ado, here is my list of the top Stupid Things Trudeau Said in 2019:

7. After The Globe and Mail revealed that Trudeau’s office attempted to interfere in the Snc-lavalin trial by pressuring then-attorney General Jody Wilson-raybould, Trudeau denied the allegations.

“The allegations reported in the Globe story this morning are false. Neither the current nor the previous attorney general was ever directed by me or by anyone in my office to take a decision in this matter,” said Trudeau.

It turns out, the only thing “false” was Trudeau’s statement. The Ethics Commissioner found that Trudeau did indeed break the law by attempting to interfere with Wilson-raybould’s decision.

6. In the aftermath of the Snc-lavalin scandal, Trudeau was asked about the company spending $30,000 on prostitutes for Muammar Gaddafi’s son while visiting Canada. In response, Trudeau claimed he was “standing up for Canadians workers” and “good jobs.”

Does this mean “good jobs” include prostitutes for foreign dictators?

5. During an announcement, Trudeau mixed up China and Japan. He made the blunder while addressing the arrest of Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou.

“I can emphasize that Canada and Japan remain steadfast as friends,” he said.

4. Ahead of a G20 meeting in June, Trudeau met with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and during their meeting,

Trudeau mixed up Japan and China, again, this time while sitting right next to Abe.

“On the occasion of 90 years of diplomatic relations between Canada and China… uh…. Canada and Japan,” said Trudeau.

3. Trudeau caused an international stir when he was caught on a hot mic mocking Trump at a NATO summit.

“He was late because he takes a 40 minute press conference .... You just watched his team’s jaws drop to the floor,” said Trudeau, oblivious to the fact that he was at a reception surrounded by news media

cameras and microphones.

2. During the fall election campaign, Canadians learned that our PM was something of a blackface aficionado. He donned the racist outfit not once, not twice, not thrice, but, well, we have no idea how many times because he did it so often he can’t remember. Trudeau blamed his former racist attitude on “the layers of privilege that I have.”

Personally, I’d blame the layers of black face paint.

1. And finally, Trudeau made an announcement that his government would ban single-use plastics by 2021. During the announcement, he gave a rambling incoherent answer that would make a Miss America contestant blush.

“We have recently switched to drinking water bottles out of … (shakes his head) water out of … when we have water bottles out of plastic ... Sorry ... Away from plastic towards (gesturing) paper like drink-box water bottles sort of things,” said Trudeau.

Let’s hope 2020 is a less embarrassing year for our PM.

Unread postPosted: December 29th, 2019, 7:19 pm 

Unread postPosted: December 30th, 2019, 8:11 pm 

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... 0sxuJfpXKY
Trudeau caps off disastrous 2019 with a beach vakay

As he finishes off the year hiding away in Costa Rica, Justin Trudeau must be thinking how glad he is that 2019 is finally over.

Sure, he won the election in October — barely — but let’s be honest, 2019 was a rough year for Trudeau. He had to deal with the SNC-Lavalin affair, losing cabinet ministers and top advisors, faced an ethics probe that found he broke the law, became a Twitter target of Donald Trump, confused Japan for China twice and lost a war over garbage with Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte.

Unread postPosted: December 30th, 2019, 8:30 pm 

Unread postPosted: December 30th, 2019, 9:54 pm 

Herman wrote:

How is that possible..

Defined benefit pension plans are separate from CPP.

Unread postPosted: January 1st, 2020, 10:08 am 

Fashionista wrote:
Herman wrote:

How is that possible..

Defined benefit pension plans are separate from CPP.

It's not. Don't believe memes.

Unread postPosted: January 3rd, 2020, 5:29 pm 

Justine's latest trip cost $127,000.

Unread postPosted: January 5th, 2020, 7:16 pm 

Unread postPosted: January 5th, 2020, 7:42 pm 

Unread postPosted: January 7th, 2020, 5:58 pm 

Unread postPosted: January 9th, 2020, 7:02 pm 

This is a long article by one of the nation's leading tax economist's, Jack Mintz. The Trudeau government is messing around with corporate taxes again and the victim will be Canadian jobs.

Liberals about to deliver another kick in the groin to corporate Canada
Liberal business tax grab would be harmful to our already weak Canadian investment performance
https://business.financialpost.com/opin ... FQlggy4A9Q

Unread postPosted: January 13th, 2020, 5:50 pm 

While homeless vets freeze in the streets, seniors struggle with no meaningful increase to their pensions, Trudeau pledges tax dollars for the security of the pampered do nothing royals.

Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2020, 9:03 am 

Stop playing blame game
PM seems to point finger at Trump for causing attack

“When we see rising tensions and conflict and military actions anywhere in the world, it is always innocents who get sideswiped,” Trudeau said in an exclusive interview with Global News.

While Trudeau didn’t specifically name the U.S. president in the clip of the interview released by Global, it has become a talking point of the liberal left that Trump’s assassination of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani is the reason the airliner — with 57 Canadian citizens on board — was shot down Jan. 8 as it left Tehran.

The Trudeau government has always been naive about Iran, possibly in part because Trudeau’s brother and adviser, Alexandre, has been close to the Iranian regime.

Sacha, as he is known, helped produce a documentary on Israel with Iran’s state TV as a partner. He later became an adviser to Trudeau.

When first elected in 2015, the Trudeau Liberals dismissed the Harper government’s policy on Iran as “ideological” and promised to restore full diplomatic relations. It never happened.

Until these comments, which are effectively blaming Trump, I had felt that Trudeau had been handling this incident as well as a prime minister could. Now he’s showing that he still isn’t serious about Iran.

The 57 Canadians who died on that plane and the 80 others with connections to this country would still be alive if the Iranians didn’t shoot it down. That is the honest truth.

Unread postPosted: January 17th, 2020, 6:24 pm 

Rex Murphy for pm.

We're freezing! Isn't it great? The carbon tax must be working!
I foresee the day when Vancouver in May will look like Bonavista in January, seals clustered around a space heater warming their little flippers
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-mu ... gpry8O0h_o

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next