It is currently April 24th, 2019, 6:59 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Unread postPosted: April 16th, 2019, 7:46 pm 

If these numbers hold up, this is great news for not just Alberta's economy, but all of Canada's economy.

Unread postPosted: April 16th, 2019, 7:56 pm 

WOW

3 / 1 at moment

Fash's vote did it

She did vote, right :wink:

Unread postPosted: April 16th, 2019, 7:59 pm 

cc wrote:
WOW

3 / 1 at moment

Fash's vote did it

you did vote, right :wink:

I did cc..

Alberta was on the wrong track.

Unread postPosted: April 16th, 2019, 8:01 pm 

Good for you!!!!

and congrats - let's hope it all gets turned around now - maybe we can keep your hubby in canada now

Unread postPosted: April 16th, 2019, 8:04 pm 

Alberta is back. YAHOOO!!!!

True Dope just lost his ally. Don't you hate it when bad things happen to good people. ac_lmfao

Unread postPosted: April 16th, 2019, 8:09 pm 

Shen Li wrote:

True Dope just lost his ally. Don't you hate it when bad things happen to good people. ac_lmfao

I gather you did not vote for the New Debt Party.

Unread postPosted: April 16th, 2019, 8:25 pm 

Herman wrote:
Shen Li wrote:

I gather you did not vote for the New Debt Party.

Brilliant detective work Sherlock.

Unread postPosted: April 16th, 2019, 8:47 pm 

My congratulations to the people of Alberta. You made the right choice for a more prosperous future.

What Jason Kenney did was amazing. Leaving federal politics to run for leadership of the PC's, winning, merging two parties and leading a brand new party into government.

Unread postPosted: April 16th, 2019, 9:25 pm 

I am watching premier-elect Jason Kenney's speech. Alberta is open for business. :thumbup:

Unread postPosted: April 17th, 2019, 4:09 am 

The UCP is leading or elected in sixty three seats and the NDP elected in twenty four..

The UCP captured over fifty five per cent of the vote and the NDP over thirty two with the Alberta Party over ten per cent..

Early ballots outside ridings have to be counted this morning..

Congratulations to premier-elect Jason Kenney and his new UCP government.

Unread postPosted: April 17th, 2019, 5:33 am 

Kathleen Wynn gone, Rachel Notey gone and Trudeau is next.

Unread postPosted: April 17th, 2019, 6:35 am 

congratulations to Albertans. :thumbup:

Unread postPosted: April 17th, 2019, 8:43 am 

I find it hard to feel happy about a conservative government. But, the Alberta NDP was anti working people. So, I guess Kenney can't be any worse.

Unread postPosted: April 17th, 2019, 10:11 am 

Wazzzup wrote:
congratulations to Albertans. :thumbup:

Thank you Wazzzup..

The new goverment is anxious to get to work putting Albertans back to work.

Unread postPosted: April 17th, 2019, 7:46 pm 

I don't follow Canadian politics like I do Israel's. One observation that puzzles me is the way Canadian provinces relationship with each other is like Israel with some of it's neighbors.

Unread postPosted: April 17th, 2019, 8:16 pm 

Gaon wrote:
I don't follow Canadian politics like I do Israel's. One observation that puzzles me is the way Canadian provinces relationship with each other is like Israel with some of it's neighbors.

I've lived here since I was a little girl and I don't get it..

How can one province block another province from exporting their resources.

Unread postPosted: April 18th, 2019, 2:20 pm 

Gaon wrote:

What BC and Quebec are doing to Alberta amd Saskatchewam is an act of war.

Unread postPosted: April 18th, 2019, 2:50 pm 

seoulbro wrote:
Gaon wrote:

What BC and Quebec are doing to Alberta amd Saskatchewam is an act of war.

Apparently foreign billionaires are behind it.

Unread postPosted: April 21st, 2019, 12:08 pm 

After watching soon-to-be former Alberta Premier Rachel Notley ‘concede’ (really, deny) that her party’s defeat in the Alberta election represented a damning judgment on her party and her government, I came to understand just why she lost. The reasons are simple. The NDP lost because they would not accept that their victory in 2015 was a bad fluke — the vomit after a 44-year drinking binge that Albertans could not take any more! They also lost because Albertans soundly rejected their policies, their social-engineering agenda and the warped notion that climate change can be cured by raising taxes. In short, Notley and her crew lost because they were out of touch with reality and the desires of Albertans. But what was really shocking is that instead of admitting she made mistakes and that her party needs to refocus after being electorally decimated (unlike any previous majority government in Alberta history), she basically gave Albertans the finger; spinning her defeat into some kind of victory and rejection into signs of support! In some places this kind of wilful delusion would be enough to get you committed. In Canada, particularly among those on the left, it’s par for the course. It’s also why, I believe and hope, that Albertans, like Ontarians now, can enjoy many years of sanity in their government again.

Unread postPosted: Yesterday, 8:56 am 

The days of appointing anti oilsands activists to key advisory positions is over. Real science and sanity have returned to that Western province.

By Lorne Gunter of Sun News Media

UNDOING THE NDP’S BLUNDERS
Don’t expect the UCP to follow through with the previous government’s high-minded theories

One big change Albertans will notice almost immediately under a United Conservative government is that their economic experts really will be experts at what makes oil flow and businesses grow. They will not be the NDP’S airy-fairy, pie-in-the-sky theorists who call themselves experts but have never drilled a well, transported a barrel of oil, run an electrical grid or made a payroll.

If we could say with scientific certainty what creates jobs and economic prosperity – what is the right level of taxation, regulation and government intervention – then there would be no more recessions or unemployment.

What doesn’t work

But while it is impossible to say for sure what exactly works economically, it is very easy to point to what doesn’t.

High-minded theories such as “sustainable development” and “social licence” don’t work. Neither does a combination of high taxes and even higher deficit spending that let’s government “stimulate” growth by growing larger.

When the NDP came to power in 2015, they brought with them boatloads of “experts” who turned out instead to be textbook theoreticians whose good-onpaper plans ran Alberta’s real-world economy into the ground.

Change No. 1 that Albertans will witness from Premier Jason Kenney and the UCP will not be some fancy new plan based on untried concepts. Rather, the most immediate transformation will be a change in tone and attitude that encourages a return of investors.

For instance, people who understand the energy business will once again design energy policy. What a novel concept!

The UCP won’t let people from lefty think-tanks with grad degrees in environmental studies devise the shutdown of the coalpower industry on the theory it will be easy to replace the lost power and jobs with solar, wind and bug burps.

Kenney and his transition team have been working since before Christmas on a speedy repeal of the carbon tax, a lowering of the NDP’S sky-high minimum wage for teenage workers who aren’t supporting families, a gradual reduction of corporate taxes, an elimination of one-third of growth-choking red tape and, of course, winning approval to build pipelines.

But you know all that. Those were all well-publicized planks in the UCP campaign platform.

Less well-known is all the work the UCP has already done to get ready from Day One to implement its platform practically and rapidly; to figure out the what’s and how’s of getting their policies in place.

If anything was worse than NDP policies, it was their lack of understanding of how to get things done.

Take for instance the impact of the Notley government’s climate leadership plan on PPAS, the power purchase agreements the provincial electrical marketing agency had had with huge companies since 2000.

The NDP’S “experts” designed this really swell theoretical scheme to reduce emissions by increasing taxes and costs for large-scale industrial users, such as utilities. However, the NDP and its consultants failed to understand this raised price would give larges-cale industrial power consumers the legal authority to cancel purchase agreements rather than keeping them with the new, high-priced electricity.

This stuck the marketing agency (known as the Balancing Pool) with billions of dollars worth of power, the cost of which was required by Alberta law to pass on to consumers. So rather than make consumers (who are also voters) pay nearly $3 billion in higher power bills, the NDP “loaned” that amount of taxpayers’ money to the Balancing Pool so the colossal error made by NDP experts wouldn’t become a huge political issue.

Welcome to the real world

There just won’t be that kind of we-know-better, ideological bumbling under the UCP. The NDP’S “experts” suffered from a delusional mixture of arrogance (a belief they could see things every previous government had been too dumb to grasp) coupled with a lack of understanding of how the real world works.

The UCP will listen again to real experts.