Replies: 7553
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 11:58:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Pet injuries.

Started by Odinson, November 19, 2018, 11:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odinson

A week ago I found my injured cat on the porch..

At first glance I thought someone had put some red tape on the base of his tail but it turned out it was the cats flesh showing.

The tail had been yanked out of its socket and was just hanging there..

The vet took the tail off completely and stitched the wound..

Now he cant pee or take a crap properly because those functions are paralyzed.

Anybody got any experience with this kind of thing?

Chuck Bronson

I KNOW I will get shit for the advice I may give you here, but your cats life is now your responsibility.  YOU must decide what the long-term prognosis for successful recovery is.

If it doesn't look good, and the cat is not happy...  You know what needs to be done in the most humane way possible.  It is a hard thing to do, and as such why many people take their pets to the vet to get put down, but that is your call.

You are the only one that can assess the situation well enough to decide how to handle this unfortunate situation.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"A week ago I found my injured cat on the porch..

At first glance I thought someone had put some red tape on the base of his tail but it turned out it was the cats flesh showing.

That's terrible Odinson..

I have never known anyone who has had anything like that happen to their cat.

Odinson

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"I KNOW I will get shit for the advice I may give you here, but your cats life is now your responsibility.  YOU must decide what the long-term prognosis for successful recovery is.

If it doesn't look good, and the cat is not happy...  You know what needs to be done in the most humane way possible.  It is a hard thing to do, and as such why many people take their pets to the vet to get put down, but that is your call.

You are the only one that can assess the situation well enough to decide how to handle this unfortunate situation.

I´ve had this cat or 7,5 years..

Its not that easy to think of this place without him being here.

The biggest problem is that he has no bladder control..

I´ve been emptying his bladder manually by squeezing it..

But now I cant do it anymore because the pee doesnt come out.. That might mean that he is recovering his control over the functions..

I´m taking him to the vet again today..

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"I KNOW I will get shit for the advice I may give you here, but your cats life is now your responsibility.  YOU must decide what the long-term prognosis for successful recovery is.

I don't think so Mel..

My beloved dog is nearing the end of her life..

She's very old,completely deaf, limps when she walks and has trouble making it to the door, so we can let her out to do her business..

We are thinking about having her put to sleep.

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Odinson"I´m taking him to the vet again today..

I would have a discussion with the vet about options.  He would probably know best about prognosis.

The other decision would reside with you...  I know people get attached to their pets.  I value all life, and will quite literally help a spider back out the door to outside, as opposed to squashing him.

Nonetheless, I do NOT like to witness suffering, pain, or otherwise any discomfort in any living being, and have no qualms with setting emotion and attachment aside when deciding to do what is morally right, even if that means to humanely put your pet to rest...  It is your duty to make these proper decisions.

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I don't think so Mel..

She's very old,completely deaf, limps when she walks and has trouble making it to the door, so we can let her out to do her business..

Sorry to hear that fashie..

Its too bad that they are so short-lived compared to us.

They never die merely of old age.. Its always suffering at the end.

My cat aint that old technically and he is still energetic like a young cat.

I´m thinking I aint giving him much of a chance at recovering if I euthanize him after just one week.

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Odinson"I´m thinking I aint giving him much of a chance at recovering if I euthanize him after just one week.

You talk to the Vet...  If he (or she) doesn't think the prognosis is very good, you do what you have to do right then and there...

Don't extend suffering for weeks or even months like some people do, expecting some miracle.  Yeah, the odd miracle happens, but don't bet on it!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"

I don't think so Mel..

Sorry to hear that fashie..

Its too bad that they are so short-lived compared to us.

They never die merely of old age.. Its always suffering at the end.

My cat aint that old technically and he is still energetic like a young cat.

I´m thinking I aint giving him much of a chance at recovering if I euthanize him after just one week.

Thanks Odinson..

Mel is right, consult with the vet..

I will do the same with our dog.

Odinson

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"
Quote from: "Odinson"I´m thinking I aint giving him much of a chance at recovering if I euthanize him after just one week.

You talk to the Vet...  If he (or she) doesn't think the prognosis it very good, do what you have to do right then and there...

Don't extend suffering for weeks or even months like some people do, expecting some miracle.  Yeah, the odd miracle happens, but don't bet on it!

The vet is a she and she is slightly inexperienced and inappropriate young girl..

I dont trust her expertise due to the indecisive fumbling and the fact that she asked whether she can take picture of the injury before even starting to treat it..

That and the inappropriate jokes..

There is a time and place for the Key-fob jokes..

Anonymous

You talk to the Vet...  If he (or she) doesn't think the prognosis it very good, do what you have to do right then and there...

The vet is a she and she is slightly inexperienced and inappropriate young girl..

I dont trust her expertise due to the indecisive fumbling and the fact that she asked whether she can take picture of the injury before even starting to treat it..

Than find a veterinarian you do trust..

Ask someone to recommend one.

Anonymous

I saw this on VF. Our cat is strictly an indoor cat, so we don't have to worry about her getting hurt.

I was never a pet person until my parents bought me a rabbit when I was single. I actually cried when he died. Now, I totally love my cat and we want to get a dog soon. Fur babies are awesome.

Odinson

Than find a veterinarian you do trust..

Ask someone to recommend one.

I think I might ask for a different one since they have other vets at that place... More older vet.

Chuck Bronson

I'll be honest, Odie...  You should probably prepare to make your peace with your cat now, and you KNOW it is probably time now to do what you don't really want to do.

Odinson

Quote from: "Shen Li"

I saw this on VF. Our cat is strictly an indoor cat, so we don't have to worry about her getting hurt.

I was never a pet person until my parents bought me a rabbit when I was single. I actually cried when he died. Now, I totally love my cat and we want to get a dog soon. Fur babies are awesome.

Funny thing is that some random stranger warned me not to let my cat outside like 2-3 weeks ago..

Its a normal thing in the country-side to let these regular cats go outside..

You get attached to them and they are like family members.. Fur babies is the correct term..

I think I might cry a little if I have to put him down.