The best topic

Replies: 10404
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:47:48 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Death.

Started by Bricktop, December 06, 2018, 07:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I had a rather disconcerting evening yesterday.

A friend who runs a real estate business held his annual Xmas party for customers and clients and we trotted along.

I ran into a former colleague from my constabulary days, who recently retired. And one young woman in her early 20's who recently resigned after only a few years service, and is now on anti-depressants, and was clearly affected by mental illness.

He told me of so many former colleagues, some younger than I, who are no longer alive. Suicides and heart attacks seemed to be the primary means of despatch.

I trained with some of these guys, and worked alongside others. So many have not survived...and some that did suffered serious illnesses that could only be associated with stress and probably alcohol abuse. The young woman was so young, and so affected by her experiences.

It was a sobering moment.

I have had more than my share of interactions with the cops over the decades. It's not a job I could do or ever want to do. Cops need a hide six inches thick.  Those that don't quit or become statistics.

Bricktop

Quote from: "JOE"
Would this be a fitting tribute to the fallen?

It will do, Joe. It is a rather apt piece.

cc

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "cc"
Not meaning to derail a serious topic, but we watched the entire series .. wowzers, that retired detective had quite a retirement

One of the very TV best shows or movies I have ever seen .. seemed he was headed for trouble, drinking etc ... only the continuing psycho gave him reason to  stay OK

Wait, its a tv series!?

Yup.

Super Channel I think - should be on demand - 2 seasons - will check later
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Bricktop

Quote from: "Herman"Cops need a hide six inches thick.

The problem with that is that nobody else can get through it...not even loved ones.

And it's not the drunken, exuberant, hooligans that keep you awake at nights. You put them in the cage, wake them up in the morning, remind them of what they did and pack them off until the next time.

It's the 12 year old kids breaking into houses, the churned corpses in cars driven by drunks, the broken bodies of the survivors, the carnage of stupidity and the quiet, remorseless assassins.

And the knowledge that no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try...nothing is ever going to change.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Herman"Cops need a hide six inches thick.

The problem with that is that nobody else can get through it...not even loved ones.

And it's not the drunken, exuberant, hooligans that keep you awake at nights. You put them in the cage, wake them up in the morning, remind them of what they did and pack them off until the next time.

It's the 12 year old kids breaking into houses, the churned corpses in cars driven by drunks, the broken bodies of the survivors, the carnage of stupidity and the quiet, remorseless assassins.

And the knowledge that no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try...nothing is ever going to change.

The community my brother serves is rural and has a large Aboriginal community..

He sees social problems daily.

Bricktop

Being a policeman used to be about crime management.

Now it is a social program.

I'm very happy I'm not involved.

JOE

A couple of weeks back I discovered someone i used to work with died very recently.

The police thought she'd been murdered, pushed out of a moving car onto a highway.

Her photo was in the paper and all over the Internet.

I was stunned as I'm sure everyone else must have been too.

She wasnt even 35 & left behind a 10 year old son.

So i get an idea how you must feel.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Being a policeman used to be about crime management.

Now it is a social program.

I'm very happy I'm not involved.

My brother has mentioned this too.

Blazor

Quote from: "Blazor"
Not meaning to derail a serious topic, but we watched the entire series .. wowzers, that retired detective had quite a retirement

One of the very TV best shows or movies I have ever seen .. seemed he was headed for trouble, drinking etc ... only the continuing psycho gave him reason to  stay OK

Wait, its a tv series!?

Yup.

Super Channel I think - should be on demand - 2 seasons - will check later

Shame I quit cable 6 years ago lol. At least I get to read the book  ac_smile
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"One must be very careful not to confuse fact and fiction; there is no circumstance under which a retired officer would be permitted to engage in a criminal investigation. However, the premise of a retired officer struggling to deal with life after a lifetime of criminal investigation is very, very real. Even moreso these days, it seems. The distorted perception that they are impotent and offer nothing to society once retired is a terrible mental affliction.

I knew these people. They were good guys, with families including grandchildren...yet nothing could replace the intoxicating addiction to solving serious crimes. The corrosive nature of police work left them empty and detached from reality.

I know that Police Departments are not unaware of this issue, and are looking to do more to help those who suffer much as ex-military officers do. The experience of lethal trauma and the inhumanity of humanity is devastating to some.

How long were you on the police force?
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"30 years.

I know it's none of my business, but you must collect a good pension.

Bricktop

I cashed it out.

I then joined the Federal Government. Now THAT is a good pension!!!

Odinson

Socks..

Have you ever considered starting your own private detective office?

Maybe get a fro and a black leather jacket.

">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"Socks..

Have you ever considered starting your own private detective office?

Maybe get a fro and a black leather jacket.

Disco Bricktop.

:laugh: