Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

Chinese ambassador accuses Canada of 'white supremacy' in Huawei case

Started by Anonymous, January 09, 2019, 08:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"China says his new sentence is unrelated to the Meng's arrest, but it almost certainly is.

Unlike Canada and the USA, the standing committee of the CCP controls the judiciary.

A Canadian man who was convicted of smuggling drugs in China has been sentenced to death.

The case of Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, who was tried in 2016, was appealed last month by prosecutors concerned Schellenberg's original sentence of 15 years in prison was too lenient.

A new trial was ordered and took place Monday, according to a Google translation of a Chinese court website, with Schellenberg being found guilty and given a death sentence.

Specific details of the allegations against Schellenberg have not been released publicly.

Chinese officials have suggested that Schellenberg's case is not related to the arrests of Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor last month or the arrest in Canada of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/chinese-court-sentences-canadian-to-death-1.4252218">https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/chinese-c ... -1.4252218">https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/chinese-court-sentences-canadian-to-death-1.4252218

This is the first I have heard of Mr Schellenberg.

Thiel

No matter how much China persecutes Canadian citizens in China, Trudeau cannot interfere with the judicial process like Beijing can.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Quote from: "Thiel"No matter how much China persecutes Canadian citizens in China, Trudeau cannot interfere with the judicial process like Beijing can.

That won't stop Beijing from persecuting Canadians in China.

Anonymous

By Anthony Furey

China has now fully lost the PR game in Canada

Less than two months ago, Canada's concerns with China were very different than they are today. At the end of November, Finance Minister Bill Morneau was in Beijing to give a talk to the Canada China Business Council.

It was one of those events that wouldn't have garnered much attention back home were it not for the fact that Canadian media ended up being inexplicably barred from entering the event by the Chinese government. They've never been into freedom of the press but it was troubling to see our own media on the receiving end.

That is now the least of our worries. Although it was a first-hand reminder that the Chinese Communist regime does things a little differently than we do them over here.

On Monday we learned just how differently, when the news broke that a Canadian man, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, was sentenced to death in a Chinese court for drug smuggling.

Now the issue isn't that they have the death penalty. Or even so much that they're sentencing a Canadian to death, which is still the first such case of its kind. No, the issue is that they're making it clear that it's done to punish us.

Schellenberg was first arrested in China in 2014 and was tried two years later, when he was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

It was reportedly only in December that the Chinese state media started referencing Schellenberg's case and an appeal of his conviction was heard on Dec. 29.

According to Schellenberg's lawyer, there was no new evidence presented at his retrial. So why reanimate Schellenberg's case at all? Why did prosecutors suddenly decide to dig into their files and drum this one up?

Here's what Rob Schmitz, NPR Shanghai correspondent, wrote on Twitter: "If there was any question as to the relationship between Huawei and the Communist Party of China before, today's hastily arranged death sentence for Canadian Robert Schellenberg in Dalian is confirmation it is a close and crucial one."

It shouldn't be taken as a coincidence that Schellenberg's retrial didn't start until after Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou was arrested in Canada on December 1.

"The other thing that I think has to be noticed is the fact that they invited foreign journalists to attend the trial," said Guy Saint-jacques, Canada's ambassador to China between 2012 and 2016, in an interview with CBC. "They claimed that it's for transparency purposes. Well, if that is the case, they could have started doing that years ago. I think all this was orchestrated."

They summoned foreign media to make sure it was covered. Beijing wanted to send a message.

And what a message they have sent: That in response to Meng being arrested and, don't forget, even granted bail in an open court setting, they're willing to arrest two Canadians, Michael Kovrig (a former diplomat) and Michael Spavor, and reopen the case of a third and sentence him to death.

What a disproportionate response. What an ugly tantrum. A public one at that. It doesn't bode well for China's PR game in the West and particularly here in Canada.

More Canadians will now be against enhanced trade relations. They'll want Canada to join its intelligence allies and ban Huawei from being involved in our 5G infrastructure grid. And they're going to look at the already troubling relationships between the Chinese government and a number of Canadian businesses and universities with greater scrutiny.

There have been warnings coming from experts and hawks for years about how China just doesn't following the same rules as us. Now regular Canadians are seeing this up close.

One last word: Can we get the Huawei logo off Hockey Night In Canada? It just leaves a bitter taste.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Zetsu"
Quote from: "Odinson"
I would never have the camera with me...

Quote from: "Fashionista"
It's just so convenient Zetsu.

You guys do have a point  ac_umm , I have to admit bringing my backpack everywhere I go has always been a hassle.

We have a good camera, but I rarely take it anywhere.

It's kind of depressing to see smart phones again once slowly killing another gadget industry, this time dedicated cameras.  ac_unsure
Permanently off his rocker

Berry Sweet

China is acting out like a toddler having a tantrum with this Huawei case.  They've already gone over the line...and theyve kept going.

If they are making such a big issue about this woman, then China truly has something to hide.

JOE

I think China's accusation of double standards has merit.

Here we accuse China of planting spyware in Huawei phones, but isnt that what the cia, fbi and nsa do? Then they share that data with their western partners like interpol, csis & others.

Its almost as if if the west is saying that its ok to spy on their own citizens but they don't want china to do it.

In other words the western governments want the upper hand, a but they dont want a 3rd party aka the Chinese to snoop & compromise the spying process the west is engaged in.

Its like they're saying don't step in our territory China.

So i can see the hypocrisy of the west which the Chinese have pointed out. Even Julian Assange has said social media and the apps we use on our iphones are just spyware and portals for our governments to spy on us.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"China is acting out like a toddler having a tantrum with this Huawei case.  They've already gone over the line...and theyve kept going.

If they are making such a big issue about this woman, then China truly has something to hide.

Obviously. The company is of special interest to the Chinese regime.

Rambo Wong

Holy Angelina Jolie! Chigga aka Franco aka Scouse aka Blurt aka Seamajor aka Securious aka Conan Doyle aka Gary Choaking The Chicken aka cc Latarte aka cc Lafemme aka Gambino aka Pattaya Man is nothing but a racist TWIRLYBRAIN choaking the chicken CRAP'n DROOL anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic, anti Japanese sinophobic homophobic islamophobic fruitcake moron conspiracy nutcase loser nutbar liar spammer idiot who thinks that Microsoft was named after a Chinese penis because that is the racist TWIRLYBRAIN choaking the chicken CRAP'n DROOL idiot anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic, anti Japanese sinophobic homophobic islamophobic fruitcake moron conspiracy nutcase loser nutbar liar spammer Chigga aka Franco aka Securious aka Conan Doyle aka Gary Choaking The Chicken aka Scouse aka Blurt aka Seamajor aka cc Latarte aka cc Lafemme aka Gambino aka Pattaya Man

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Rambo Wong"Holy Angelina Jolie! Chigga aka Franco aka Scouse aka Blurt aka Seamajor aka Securious aka Conan Doyle aka Gary Choaking The Chicken aka cc Latarte aka cc Lafemme aka Gambino aka Pattaya Man is nothing but a racist TWIRLYBRAIN choaking the chicken CRAP'n DROOL anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic, anti Japanese sinophobic homophobic islamophobic fruitcake moron conspiracy nutcase loser nutbar liar spammer idiot who thinks that Microsoft was named after a Chinese penis because that is the racist TWIRLYBRAIN choaking the chicken CRAP'n DROOL idiot anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic, anti Japanese sinophobic homophobic islamophobic fruitcake moron conspiracy nutcase loser nutbar liar spammer Chigga aka Franco aka Securious aka Conan Doyle aka Gary Choaking The Chicken aka Scouse aka Blurt aka Seamajor aka cc Latarte aka cc Lafemme aka Gambino aka Pattaya Man

You'e never at a loss for words..

:laugh:

Welcome back Rambo.

cc

On another note from the same instrument

make a "wise" decision but did not provide details about what the "repercussions" would be.

In a rare interview with Canadian journalists, Lu also told Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to back off recruiting international support in Canada's feud with China. He said it would be a bad idea for Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland to use the upcoming World Economic Forum summit in Davos to press that case.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

JOE

Quote from: "cc"On another note from the same instrument

make a "wise" decision but did not provide details about what the "repercussions" would be.

In a rare interview with Canadian journalists, Lu also told Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to back off recruiting international support in Canada's feud with China. He said it would be a bad idea for Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland to use the upcoming World Economic Forum summit in Davos to press that case.

I read in the NYT column that they thought the USA should break ranks with its economic interdependence on China. Perhaps this incident is a good excuse to break away from its orbit.  Canada & other nations like Australia too.

.... the question is....can they?

Gaon

Quote from: "cc"On another note from the same instrument

Buy it or else. Just like organized criminals.
The Russian Rock It

caskur

Quote from: "JOE"I think China's accusation of double standards has merit.

Here we accuse China of planting spyware in Huawei phones, but isnt that what the cia, fbi and nsa do? Then they share that data with their western partners like interpol, csis & others.

Its almost as if if the west is saying that its ok to spy on their own citizens but they don't want china to do it.

In other words the western governments want the upper hand, a but they dont want a 3rd party aka the Chinese to snoop & compromise the spying process the west is engaged in.

Its like they're saying don't step in our territory China.

So i can see the hypocrisy of the west which the Chinese have pointed out. Even Julian Assange has said social media and the apps we use on our iphones are just spyware and portals for our governments to spy on us.

Well the west aren't growing the drugs to export to China to poison their children...

That's what the Chinese are doing... they're in the drug smuggling business.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol