The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Pimp my ride

Started by Frood, February 07, 2019, 06:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"This is my preferred mode of camping.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.evenbreak.co.uk%2Fblog%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F09%2Fhilton_logo1.jpg&f=1">

I understand, the older one gets, the harder the ground gets lol.

[size=85]Trust me I know[/size]
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "Fashionista"We go camping every summer, but I've never seen anything like those whatever they are.

Well the one Dinky is looking at, is like a camper top that attaches to the truck bed, except it is more functional, and has pull out drawers that contain the sink, stove, etc. Then the top is like a pop up camper in a way.

With the one I was window shopping at lol, its a small trailer, that acts the same with the drawers, and pop gear, but up top a tent folds out.

My son watches some kind of Overland Adventure show that he gets into. He wants one too lol. These guys take their vehicles and compact quarters and gear, and go out in the middle of nowhere for a week or so.

They're practical I suppose.

Bricktop

I imagine things like this would be in areas of Australia and such, with all the remoteness, one needs to be prepared.

Very prepared.

Min carry of 100 litres of water. 50 litres of spare fuel. Minimum 2 spares. Recovery and tow equipment. Full first aid kit and medical equipment. About a weeks worth of food. Refrigerator (ice chest won't cut it).

Driving through the desert takes months of planning, and thousands of $$$$ of equipment. You don't go alone either...most go in club convoys or with a group of friends.

And frankly, having flown over it...I fail to see the aesthetic appeal.

I think those that do it, do so for the machismo. "I drove through the Simpson Desert." Or as its more colloquially expressed "I crossed the Simmo".

ac_boring

Bricktop

The ground gets harder and much further away.

A camper trailer is a little better, but you have to store it somewhere, maintain it, register and insure it for all of about one months use a year. Tops.

Staying in hotels is cheaper in the long run.

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"

The ground gets harder and much further away.

A camper trailer is a little better, but you have to store it somewhere, maintain it, register and insure it for all of about one months use a year. Tops.

Staying in hotels is cheaper in the long run.

"Where we're going, there are no hotels" lol.

I hope to be able to keep carrying my gear on my back up into the mountains for several more years at least.

Frood

Quote from: "Blazor"Do you remember the Rocky Daihatsu?

The Daihatsu's looked fun but got a pretty bad reliability rating in this climate.

I've never thought of needing a "watermaker" lol. There is water everywhere around here. I jus take a filter with me.

There's water all over but a lot of has varying levels of salt in it.

At the end of my list. Not overlanding for another year or two plus the pickling is a pain in the arse if not being used regularly.

Quote from: "Bricktop"

I imagine things like this would be in areas of Australia and such, with all the remoteness, one needs to be prepared.

Very prepared.

Min carry of 100 litres of water. 50 litres of spare fuel. Minimum 2 spares. Recovery and tow equipment. Full first aid kit and medical equipment. About a weeks worth of food. Refrigerator (ice chest won't cut it).

Driving through the desert takes months of planning, and thousands of $$$$ of equipment. You don't go alone either...most go in club convoys or with a group of friends.

And frankly, having flown over it...I fail to see the aesthetic appeal.

I think those that do it, do so for the machismo. "I drove through the Simpson Desert." Or as its more colloquially expressed "I crossed the Simmo".

ac_boring

Some of us just want to know we can get lost if so desired or required.  ac_biggrin
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Knock yourself out. Don't take your kids.

Frood

Of course kids are welcome.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

No doubt they are.

You can eat them when the food runs out.

Frood

Croc bait. Bloody big hook though.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Not having been there, I will accept an alternative opinion from someone who has...but I'm pretty sure there are no crocs in the Simpson.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Blazor

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "Blazor"Do you remember the Rocky Daihatsu?

The Daihatsu's looked fun but got a pretty bad reliability rating in this climate.

I've never thought of needing a "watermaker" lol. There is water everywhere around here. I jus take a filter with me.

There's water all over but a lot of has varying levels of salt in it.

At the end of my list. Not overlanding for another year or two plus the pickling is a pain in the arse if not being used regularly.

I loved the Rocky, miss that thing. It was real reliable, but I can see that in that heat over there lol.

Sucks on the salty water. All mountain water here usually.

I'd be excited to hear of your adventures when you do  :thumbup:

Pickling? Something tells me thats not the same as jarring something lol.

Anonymous

I drive a VW Jetta. Great car.

Frood

The last car I owned was a Honda Legend. It fared horribly in our heat and I swore off cars forever after that.
Blahhhhhh...