Replies: 10402
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

the oil rigger thread

Started by Bricktop, February 20, 2019, 04:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

Post whatever you can think of about oil riggers....good, bad or indifferent.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Post whatever you can think of about oil riggers....good, bad or indifferent.

I've heard they enjoy the occasional thimble of barrel wash.

Bricktop

By "thimble" you mean "barrel".

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"By "thimble" you mean "barrel".

same thing

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Bricktop"By "thimble" you mean "barrel".

same thing

That's nothing to be proud of Herman.

Anonymous

There seems to be lots of opportunity in the industry. It's a good way to see the world.

Bricktop

I cannot imagine it would be an easy life, nonetheless.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I cannot imagine it would be an easy life, nonetheless.

Herman has lived and worked in some inhospitable places in the world.

Anonymous

The oilpatch has allowed me a life I could never have imagined had I taken a different road in life. I am a Ukrainian kid from a farm in West Central Saskatchewan. I only have a high school education and I have risen to senior management positions on every continent except Antarctica. in what other industry is this even possible.

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"MacDonalds?

Damn. I wasted my frickin life.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"There seems to be lots of opportunity in the industry. It's a good way to see the world.

Indeed, it seems so.  I've a pal who's mostly worked the US west and central south, who's had plenty of opportunities offshore but has chosen to stay closer to home.  He's retired now.  

Interestingly, the biggest difference between him and Herman is the drug of choice and the political leanings.  Perhaps there's a correlation there.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"There seems to be lots of opportunity in the industry. It's a good way to see the world.

Indeed, it seems so.  I've a pal who's mostly worked the US west and central south, who's had plenty of opportunities offshore but has chosen to stay closer to home.  He's retired now.  

Interestingly, the biggest difference between him and Herman is the drug of choice and the political leanings.  Perhaps there's a correlation there.

My husband is a master electrician..

He is the shop manager for a specialized oilfield service company that builds and maintain the top drive electrical systems for drilling rigs..

He has worked all around the world too including an expat assignment in Kazakhstan where I joined him..

My husband doesn't drink and has never tried drugs, and what little interest he has in politics are similar to Herman's views..

It's one industry where blue collar workers aren't swayed by the chattering classes.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Peaches"

My husband is a master electrician..

He is the shop manager for a specialized oilfield service company that builds and maintain the top drive electrical systems for drilling rigs..

He has worked all around the world too including an expat assignment in Kazakhstan where I joined him..

My husband doesn't drink and has never tried drugs, and what little interest he has in politics are similar to Herman's views..

It's one industry where blue collar workers aren't swayed by the chattering classes.

Not sure about your reference to the "chattering classes" but if you're suggesting that blue collar workers as a class don't overlap with them, I'm pretty sure there are exceptions that test that rule.

However, the majority of oilfield workers of my acquaintance (fewer than 2 dozen) are more likely to lean right than left.  And those 2 dozen span a wide range of ages, from 101 down to maybe 25, so it's not a generational thing.

But in every related trade...pipefitters, electricians, all the homebuilding trades...I can find at least a few lefties.  In the mining business, which I'd assume is also blue collar, the ratio is closer to 50:50.