Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

DAMN LIGHTNING!!!

Started by Bricktop, March 03, 2019, 07:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

:t1929:

We got hit by a lightning strike last night.

Major damage.  ac_crying

But the best part is that it blew TWO holes out of a TILED floor on a concrete foundation. Not even a hand grenade could do that.

Mother nature was clearly pissed at us.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop":t1929:

Major damage.  ac_crying

But the best part is that it blew TWO holes out of a TILED floor on a concrete foundation. Not even a hand grenade could do that.

Oh my goodness Bricktop..

Thankfully you and anyone else under your roof at the time is unharmed.

Bricktop

No-one hurt.

We're looking at something around $25,000 damage to home and contents. But that will rise.

I have no idea how they're going to fix the floor. It took a massive hit in 2 places.

Most of our major electrical appliances are dead.

It even knocked out the internet connection AT THE NODE.

In other words, the surge hit our modem, travelled back along the line to the node and melted the whole thing.

Unbelievable force.

caskur

Get pictures...

You need to tell this story on Storm Chasers....
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"No-one hurt.

We're looking at something around $25,000 damage to home and contents. But that will rise.

I have no idea how they're going to fix the floor. It took a massive hit in 2 places.

Most of our major electrical appliances are dead.

It even knocked out the internet connection AT THE NODE.

In other words, the surge hit our modem, travelled back along the line to the node and melted the whole thing.

Unbelievable force.

That's terrible. I don't know anyone who has sustained lightning damage. And you had a lot of damage from the strike of lightning.

Bricktop

It's a catastrophe. Most of our electrical devices are dead.

The shrapnel damage is astonishing. When it hit it sounded like a bomb had detonated, but we had no idea of the damage until the morning.

A house 2 doors down also suffered minor damage. But we got the brunt of it.

Frood

Was your Realdoll plugged in at the time?
Blahhhhhh...

Frood

Looks like hell is coming twice.

https://i.postimg.cc/JhcX2XT6/Screenshot-20190304-160308.jpg">
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"It's a catastrophe. Most of our electrical devices are dead.

The shrapnel damage is astonishing. When it hit it sounded like a bomb had detonated, but we had no idea of the damage until the morning.

A house 2 doors down also suffered minor damage. But we got the brunt of it.

I don't know what to say Bricktop.

:shock:

Bricktop

It's cool. We have insurance and the assessor will be out bright and early in the morning.

As bad as it seems, I think of those poor souls in the recent Queensland floods, and those caught in bushfires and I'm reminded this is easily resolved and we'll move on with no disruption.

It's just a pain to have to go through all the insurance rigmarole and homegoods replacement.

caskur

Don't you have an earth thingy running from your roof to the ground incase you are struck?
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop":t1929:

Major damage.  ac_crying

Jesus H brother. That is the shits.

It's colder than a whore's heart for more than half the year on my farm. But, I have never had any weather related damage to to my house or any out buildings. I've weather related crop damage, but that's an occupational hazard.

realgrimm

Had this happen to me on a smaller scale fried my Modem ,TV even the PC monitor ,since then I run all my electronics thru  surge protector power bars

Anonymous

Quote from: "realgrimm"Had this happen to me on a smaller scale fried my Modem ,TV even the PC monitor ,since then I run all my electronics thru  surge protector power bars

ULINE Canada sells them..

I never thought we had any need of them, but after reading your story and of course Bricktop's maybe I should reconsider.

Bricktop

A surge protector won't help against a direct hit by lightning. They are there to protect against power surges through the electrical grid.

A lightning strike hits the house with hundreds of thousands of volts in an explosive jolt.

Seriously, it felt like the house was hit by a missile. I asked the electrician why our surge protector failed and he said nothing could protect against a direct hit that drove holes into solid tile and concrete.

But the important thing is no-one was hurt, not even the pooch.