Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

A

Fraud and waste in US Medicare

Started by Anonymous, April 10, 2019, 11:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It's too big, it spends too much on administration and invites fraud.

WASHINGTON — Federal agents Tuesday broke up a billion-dollar Medicare scam that peddled unneeded orthopedic braces to hundreds of thousands of seniors.

Two dozen people were charged, including doctors accused of writing bogus prescriptions.

The Justice Department said the scheme relied on overseas call centres to pry Medicare numbers from beneficiaries.

Authorities also announced charges against owners of call centres, telemedicine firms and medical equipment companies that shipped unneeded back, shoulder, wrist and knee braces.

Profits from the scheme were laundered through offshore shell companies and then used to buy high-end cars, yachts and luxury homes here and abroad, officials said.

Medicare's anti-fraud unit said it's taking action against 130 medical equipment companies implicated.

The companies billed the program a total of $1.7 billion, but not all of it was paid out.

The loss to Medicare was estimated at $1.2 billion.

Officials said the government has options to recoup at least some of the money lost to Medicare.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"It's too big, it spends too much on administration and invites fraud.

WASHINGTON — Federal agents Tuesday broke up a billion-dollar Medicare scam that peddled unneeded orthopedic braces to hundreds of thousands of seniors.

Two dozen people were charged, including doctors accused of writing bogus prescriptions.

The Justice Department said the scheme relied on overseas call centres to pry Medicare numbers from beneficiaries.

Authorities also announced charges against owners of call centres, telemedicine firms and medical equipment companies that shipped unneeded back, shoulder, wrist and knee braces.

Profits from the scheme were laundered through offshore shell companies and then used to buy high-end cars, yachts and luxury homes here and abroad, officials said.

Medicare's anti-fraud unit said it's taking action against 130 medical equipment companies implicated.

The companies billed the program a total of $1.7 billion, but not all of it was paid out.

The loss to Medicare was estimated at $1.2 billion.

Officials said the government has options to recoup at least some of the money lost to Medicare.

I certainly hope this is an isolated incident.

Anonymous

How much does Medicare fork out for illegal immigrants.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"How much does Medicare fork out for illegal immigrants.

if it's one dollar, it's a dollar too much.

Bricktop

Consider this in the context of other recent exposes of corruption in the US. Celebrities buying degrees for the privileged spawn. The FBI conspiring to bring down a President with flawed evidence. Public prosecutors exonerating offenders because they are black.

The US is collapsing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Consider this in the context of other recent exposes of corruption in the US. Celebrities buying degrees for the privileged spawn. The FBI conspiring to bring down a President with flawed evidence. Public prosecutors exonerating offenders because they are black.

The US is collapsing.

We have a sitting pm who broke the law. The same pm invited illegal aliens to come here. Foreign billionaires block resource development and kill jobs. We have a motion that is basically a blasphemy law.

Canada has collapsed.

Bricktop

I doubt that corruption is at the level the US seems to be experiencing.

Everyone seems to be in on it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I doubt that corruption is at the level the US seems to be experiencing.

I've lived in both countries. This country is just as corrupt and our pm's are more corrupt than US presidents.

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Bricktop"I doubt that corruption is at the level the US seems to be experiencing.

I've lived in both countries. This country is just as corrupt and our pm's are more corrupt than US presidents.

I never realized how much corruption can exist in the prime minister's office until Justin Trudeau's election.

Anonymous

Not so. My province's green energy act was a multi billion dollar fraud riddled with cronyism that taxpayers are on the hook for. There is too much bureaucracy in Canada which of course is a breeding ground for corruption.

Bricktop

Not to mention Western style politics, which is corrupt by definition.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Not to mention Western style politics, which is corrupt by definition.

Today's democracy is owned by rich progs.

Bricktop

And tomorrow's democracy will be owned by poor ones.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"And tomorrow's democracy will be owned by poor ones.

That won't happen. Democracy, freedom of speech/religion, and a strong middle class are on their last legs throughout the West. We created a unique civilization that is the envy of the world, but rich progs are determined to use their vast resources to destroy it.