Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:05:08 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Dove

A

May Day / Beltane

Started by Anonymous, May 01, 2019, 08:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

If you live in Europe or North America, chances are you know it's an ancient holiday and a celebration of the beginning of the summer crop season.  If you're Gaelic or neo-Pagan, you might call it Beltane.

I just found the perfect sound track.  It's an event that occurred, unscripted, a decade ago that I only just discovered today.  Imagine the balls of Neil Young deciding to cover A Day In The Life with only his Crazy Horse band, without an orchestra.  And imagine his not knowing who was in the audience until he showed up on stage.  If you dare listen to it, don't be shy....turn it UP.

">

Also discovered how young maidens celebrated May Day in the Ukraine, back in the days of Herman's youth.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31697353_1892298807503021_3281234742174810112_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=63021de1dc579ca20fbefa6606e5a560&oe=5D6685C8">

May Day celebration, Lvov, Ukrainian SSR, 1968

Bricktop

"Daddy...that's no way to treat an expensive guitar..."

Neil Young has balls...but how many people would have the balls (or stature) to run on stage whilst he's playing and join in.

You sure that's Crazy Horse? I don't recall them having a keyboard player and the drummer looks a little on the young side.

Anonymous

Only Talbot (bass) and Molina (drums) are original 1969 members of Crazy Horse. At times over the decades, it's been more like a pick-up band, and sometimes others fill even those two seats.

Anonymous

As a unionized worker, May 1 is an important day to me.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"As a unionized worker, May 1 is an important day to me.

I neglected to mention that.  I think the day's importance to organized labor may have its roots in the US, and it's the day I usually remember Mary Harris Jones (1837-1930), also known as Mother Jones, since her birthday is unknown.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Peaches"Only Talbot (bass) and Molina (drums) are original 1969 members of Crazy Horse. At times over the decades, it's been more like a pick-up band, and sometimes others fill even those two seats.

Ah.

When I saw them, they all looked of pensionable age.

But they sure could play!!!

This is the concert I saw them playing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afnD8Jgo0kM&list=RDafnD8Jgo0kM&start_radio=1">
... rt_radio=1">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afnD8Jgo0kM&list=RDafnD8Jgo0kM&start_radio=1

Anonymous

And May 1 is the start of a week long holiday in China.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"And May 1 is the start of a week long holiday in China.

What is the holiday, Fashionista?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "Fashionista"And May 1 is the start of a week long holiday in China.

It's Labour Day..

It used to be a week, but it's been shortened to four days..

I'm from Taiwan, not China by the way.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

It's Labour Day..

Yes, I know.  But still, your knowledge of Chinese holidays far outstrips mine.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Fashionista"

It's Labour Day..

SPLITTER!!!

Anonymous

I was watching May Day protests from various cities across Canada. Something tells me the number of blue collar workers at those protests was few and far between.

Bricktop

They were "environmentalists" here.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"They were "environmentalists" here.

A May Day workers protest that wants carbon taxes and an end to resource jobs that provide a secure middle class life..

I think Seoul is right, not too many blue collar workers were present.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"They were "environmentalists" here.

No doubt the big enviro NGO's hired mobs for rent at Canadian protests.