Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Last dog slaughterhouse in Seoul dismantled

Started by Anonymous, November 03, 2019, 10:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

This was inevitable. Korea is a wealthy pet loving nation Young Koreans think killing and eating dogs is barbaric.

By Kevin Connor of Post Media

Dogs in Seoul, South Korea, will be spared the knife and cooking pot as the city is now a slaughter free zone, Humane Society International Canada (HSIC) says.

HSIC has been working since 2015 to end the barbaric practice where the dogs are kept in overcrowded cages before being sent to market where they are beaten to death, hanged or electrocuted.

In the last five years, HSIC has recused 1,800 dogs and closed 15 dog meat farms in South Korea.

On Wednesday, the organization announced the last three dog meat facilities in Seoul have agreed to close after a year-long campaign working with local officials.

"I am so happy to see Seoul's last remaining dog meat shops end dog slaughter," said Nara Kim, dog meat campaign manager for the organization in Korea

"It gives me hope that South Korea's future is dog meat-free ... one day we can celebrate the closure of South Korea's final dog slaughterhouse."

The practice of eating dogs is declining in South Korea, mainly among the younger populations. A June 2018 survey showed 70% of South Korean will not eat dogs.

"Having witnessed the horrors of the dog meat trade first-hand, I am thrilled to see South Korea move one step closer to ending this brutal industry," said Rebecca Aldworth, executive director of HSIC.

The HSIC works with farmers to transition out of the dog meat industry. They sign legally binding contracts with the dog meat farmers to permanently shut down and provide assistance to more profitable business models such as medical herb farming, water parsley farming to blueberry farming.

The organization also promotes an education campaign. Many Korean keep small dogs as pets but have a misconception that meat dogs are different from pet dogs

HSIC is currently sheltering and caring for over 60 dogs recently rescued from dog meat farms in Korea and aims to find them forever homes.

HSIC says an estimated 30 million dogs are brutally killed each year in Asia.

Anonymous

If you want a dog steak while visiting Seoul, you are too bloody late.

@realAzhyaAryola

I have never had dog and I shall never have one. I just don't want to even try it. Nope. Never going too happen.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"I have never had dog and I shall never have one. I just don't want to even try it. Nope. Never going too happen.

It's an old custom that is dying out quickly. The dogs that are eaten are not the breeds people keep as pets. However, affluent NE Asia finds this custom sickening.

Thiel

Koreans, Japanese, Taiwanese, and Singaporeans spoil their doggies more than any other places I have seen. It is happening in the rich Chinese cities too.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Taiwan outlawed slaughtering dogs and cats for human consumption in 1998..

A few years ago, they enacted stiff fines and penalties for anyone caught eating dogs or cats or selling them for meat.

Odinson

Dogs are predators.. They are not for eating..

Predators might have bacteria that will kill us..

I think eating dogs might be a cultural remnant from some famine that swept through S-Korea and other asian countries.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"Dogs are predators.. They are not for eating..

I think eating dogs might be a cultural remnant from some famine that swept through S-Korea and other asian countries.

Fish are predators too. But, I'm glad to this practice is coming to an end in Asia.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Velvet"
Quote from: "Odinson"Dogs are predators.. They are not for eating..

But, I'm glad to this practice is coming to an end in Asia.

The custom of eating dogs will be in Asia's past..

I'm surprised bullfighting in Spain and France eating the delicate ortolan songbird whole or foie gras is still legal.

Odinson

I like it when the bulls chase and impale those dirty spaniards on the streets..

But the matador thing is fucked up..

He injures the bull many times until he delivers the killing strike.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"I like it when the bulls chase and impale those dirty spaniards on the streets..

But the matador thing is fucked up..

He injures the bull many times until he delivers the killing strike.

It's torture and so is foie gras in France

Anonymous

Anonymous

Halal is at least as bad as slaughtering dogs and cats.

@realAzhyaAryola

Every culture has a dish that may not sit well with other cultures. I do not want to try dog meat because the idea of it is not appetizing to me. However, I am open to trying ortolan meat. I've had foie gras. It is exquisite. I have also had rattlesnake meat in a salad and scallopini made of alligator tails. Of course, I love those balut eggs from back home. It has a developed duckling inside. I also do not want to try bull's testicles. Something about it is just not appetizing.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

@realAzhyaAryola

In Japanese/Korean restaurants, I just love how they make eel.
@realAzhyaAryola