Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Australia wildfires

Started by Vancouver, January 03, 2020, 10:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "ArabPrinCess"
Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"How are our Australian friends doing? I just read the biggest evacuation in Australia. Animals dead. State of emergency.

My heart is completely broken.

Also today on the news from Kangaroo Island, two dead... 80 year old pilot and his 43 yr old plastic surgeon son.

I can't even speak about the fires. It's all stuck in my chest.

Praying, this is awful.  My heart goes out to you all.

The destruction of the wildlife kills me the most...Humans can rebuild but some of our native animals and birds are on the brink of extinction.

I heard 500 million wild and domesticated animals have been lost. :shock:

caskur

Quote from: "Velvet"
Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"How are our Australian friends doing? I just read the biggest evacuation in Australia. Animals dead. State of emergency.

Also today on the news from Kangaroo Island, two dead... 80 year old pilot and his 43 yr old plastic surgeon son.

The destruction of the wildlife kills me the most...Humans can rebuild but some of our native animals and birds are on the brink of extinction.

I heard 100,000 sheep died in one place. Our food is going to go sky high in prices no doubt.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

I heard 100,000 sheep died in one place. Our food is going to go sky high in prices no doubt.

And I'm sure a lot of crops were lost too. Our winter produce comes from California. Their fires coincided with steep increases in our produce prices.

caskur

And I'm sure a lot of crops were lost too. Our winter produce comes from California. Their fires coincided with steep increases in our produce prices.

The wheat is over and harvested but I did see a man lose most of his bee hives on Kangaroo Island... It's stone fruit season and I haven't heard the losses, if any. Grapes also, I haven't heart... but all the straw went up in smoke. That'll cause problems.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

The wheat is over and harvested but I did see a man lose most of his bee hives on Kangaroo Island... It's stone fruit season and I haven't heard the losses, if any. Grapes also, I haven't heart... but all the straw went up in smoke. That'll cause problems.

There must have been produce lost. I expect food prices to soar.

caskur

The rain came and stopped the back burning...

See what happens next week.

From the past...

Ash Wednesday - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Ash_Wednesday_bushfires">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Ash_ ... _bushfires">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Ash_Wednesday_bushfires

the first Ash Wednesday fires were a series of bushfires that began in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia, on Ash Wednesday, 20 February 1980.[1] 51 homes and 25 other buildings were destroyed, and 75 farms were affected. 40 people were injured, with 150 left homeless. The fire burnt an area of 3,770 ha (14.6 sq mi),[2] and caused an estimated $34,000,000 damage.[3]

In 1983, after the Ash Wednesday fires in February that year, the 1980 fire became known in South Australia as the "first" Ash Wednesday, or Ash Wednesday I.[2]

Black Saturday... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_bushfires">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_bushfires

The Black Saturday bushfires[10] were a series of bushfires that ignited or were burning across the Australian state of Victoria on and around Saturday, 7 February 2009 and were among Australia's all-time worst bushfire disasters. The fires occurred during extreme bushfire weather conditions and resulted in Australia's highest ever loss of life from a bushfire,[11] with 173 fatalities.[12] Many people were left homeless as a result.

As many as 400 individual fires were recorded on Saturday 7 February; the day has become widely referred to in Australia as Black Saturday.

A Royal Commission, headed by Justice Bernard Teague, was held.
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

These are not the first big bushfires Australia has had.

caskur

Quote from: "Velvet"These are not the first big bushfires Australia has had.

I think these ones today are the worst ever because they're in NSW and Vic and they are back burning.

The fireman are deliberately making fires (back burning). They claim they are frightened the areas of fire will join up creating a super fire completely out of control.

They're trying to protect homes but they couldn't careless about the forest and native animals.

As Dinky Di says, fires aren't a novelty here in Australia, it's the norm, what is not the norm, is them starting back burns.

My state does burn off during Winter/Spring and so we get less catastrophe than the Eastern States when we have fires.
- Andy Warhol

caskur

We have a Cyclone (hurricane) in my state atm

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/satellite/wa">https://www.weatherzone.com.au/satellite/wa

Tropical Cyclone Blake... (Go put out some fire!~)
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "Velvet"These are not the first big bushfires Australia has had.

I think these ones today are the worst ever because they're in NSW and Vic and they are back burning.

The fireman are deliberately making fires (back burning). They claim they are frightened the areas of fire will join up creating a super fire completely out of control.

They're trying to protect homes but they couldn't careless about the forest and native animals.

As Dinky Di says, fires aren't a novelty here in Australia, it's the norm, what is not the norm, is them starting back burns.

My state does burn off during Winter/Spring and so we get less catastrophe than the Eastern States when we have fires.

It seems in NSW and Queensland, bushfires were caused by arson.

Anonymous

Even if no crops were wiped out, grocery retailers will use it as an excuse to raise prices.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

Even if no crops were wiped out, grocery retailers will use it as an excuse to raise prices.

No offense IHJ, but you can be so cynical and negative.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

No offense IHJ, but you can be so cynical and negative.

I call it like it is.

Vancouver

Where the animals left to die while humans took refuge among the stars.
Time is malleable

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"Where the animals left to die while humans took refuge among the stars.

I would imagine farmers tried to save their livestock..

Wild animals are a lot harder to save.....they fear humans.