News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10237
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 15, 2024, 10:38:48 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

How come all the Castlegar Telus IP addies are blocked?

Started by Anonymous, January 05, 2020, 07:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Anonymous

Because three times in the past week I have attempted to post from my phone while in Castlegar, and every time I hit post I get an error message that the IP address is on your auto-block list.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"Because three times in the past week I have attempted to post from my phone while in Castlegar, and every time I hit post I get an error message that the IP address is on your auto-block list.

ac_dunno

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"Because three times in the past week I have attempted to post from my phone while in Castlegar, and every time I hit post I get an error message that the IP address is on your auto-block list.

Seems odd that you'd be able to log into the forum and read and compose a reply from Castlegar, but all of a sudden when you hit the post button, the IP address you've been successfully accessing the forum with would be a no-go.

Anonymous

I don't log in.  I'm actually banned from this forum, but don't tell anyone.

I had to use a proxy to post this thread from Castlegar.  I'm home now.

I'm guessing that range of blocked IP's was once associated with a 'problem' place of origin, and whatever spam-stop plugin this forum is using blocks the range because of that.  I considered running a similar extension on my forum, but they really don't work that well since blocks of addresses are always being recycled as they are all dynamic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"I don't log in.  I'm actually banned from this forum, but don't tell anyone.

I had to use a proxy to post this thread from Castlegar.  I'm home now.

I'm guessing that range of blocked IP's was once associated with a 'problem' place of origin, and whatever spam-stop plugin this forum is using blocks the range because of that.  I considered running a similar extension on my forum, but they really don't work that well since blocks of addresses are always being recycled as they are all dynamic.

I've posted from Castlegar.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

You won't be able to now if you're pinning up to a Telus tower there!

Anonymous

Next time I run into town there, I'll write down the IP addresses it says are blocked.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

You won't be able to now if you're pinning up to a Telus tower there!

I haven't been in that town since the summer of 2018, so that could be.

Anonymous

Ran into a similar access issue tonight, the VPN exit node I've been using for the past 72 hours suddenly started producing "cannot find server" messages. Swapped to a different exit node and the sight came up immediately.

Everyone should be using a VPN as part of their security regimen these days. And to access Canadian Netflix, since apparently it's now the best in the world. According to Linus Tech Tips anyway.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview