News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 7026
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:09:06 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by deport_liberals

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Look, this is growing rapidly and spreading wold-wide .. . It's getting serious and 'sides, I get ill reading self absorbed ijits like jojo on the fluff sub

I"ll take the initiative to start a main board thread for all to add new stuff to as it spreads and keep up to date with facts, not embarrassingly dumb opinions, inbred hate-spew  and sidetracks

Here's the Guardian: ... Coronavirus: About 100,000 people could be infected with the new coronavirus around the world, experts have warned, as the UK government faced calls to reassure people that the NHS is ready to deal with any British cases within days.

Prof Neil Ferguson, a public health expert at Imperial College, said his "best guess" was that there were 100,000 affected by the virus even though there are only 2,000 confirmed cases so far, mostly in the city of Wuhan in China where the virus first appeared.

Ferguson, whose team have been modelling the disease for the World Health Organization, said they estimated the virus had a reproductive rate of 2.5-3, meaning that each person infected would potentially transmit it to up to three others.

"My best guess now is perhaps 100,000 cases right now," he said, although it could be between 30,000 and 200,000. "Almost certainly many tens of thousands of people are infected."

A Possible Important Point > Most of the cases that have been exported to other countries from China have been mild, he said. ... That could mean mild cases of disease spread more easily than severe, life-threatening cases, which sounds like good news. But on the other hand, it means it is possible there will be a reservoir of mild disease in the country that goes unnoticed and can spread until it affects somebody vulnerable because of underlying poor health, who becomes seriously ill.

[Note: It's still very early on and could somehow get contained OR it could become an Extraordinary  MAJOR threat to the world]
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

I'm still trying to collect information on this. How serious it is and how global it is.

What China must do is have a zero tolerance policy about animals and raw meat existing side by side in open markets. The same with uninspected wild animals. Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia do not allow such disease incubators. Shen Li said the richer cities like Shanghai and Beijing have banned those types of markets, but now the non Eastern cities must do the same.

cc

Prof Neil Ferguson, a public health expert at Imperial College, said although only people with symptoms of illness spread Sars, scientists point to other diseases, such as influenza and some colds, that can be passed on by those who appear well. These viruses "are carried into the air during normal breathing and talking by the infected person", said Prof Wendy Barclay of the department of infectious disease at Imperial College London.

"It would not be too surprising if the new coronavirus also does this. If this does prove to be the case then controlling the spread does become more of a challenge, and measures like airport screening are unlikely to stem the virus effectively."

his "best guess" was that there were 100,000 affected by the virus even though there are only 2,000 confirmed cases so far, mostly in the city of Wuhan in China where the virus first appeared.

Anonymous

It is presenting a problem in Korea because it is cold and flu season. There are people in quarantine that have caught a seasonal flu. Better safe than sorry, but it stretches resources not being able to effectively screen for the virus.

Vancouver

I heard the virus might have been passed on from bats or snakes. People shouldn't eat stuff like that.
Time is malleable

caskur

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"I heard the virus might have been passed on from bats or snakes. People shouldn't eat stuff like that.

Not snakes, just fruit bats.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Vancouver

Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"I heard the virus might have been passed on from bats or snakes. People shouldn't eat stuff like that.

Not snakes, just fruit bats.

Gross. That's like eating parrots.
Time is malleable

sasquatch

Apparently Toronto got its first case of coronavirus, and that surprises me just because there's a massive Asian population in Vancouver.

It will probably be like the other ones that just come and go, but I'm gonna avoid big cities for the next little while.

Anonymous

My old lady is from Northern China right on the Russian border. She doesn't know anything about eating bats. But, she says Central and Southern Chinks are barbarians anyway.

Anonymous

Quote from: "sasquatch"Apparently Toronto got its first case of coronavirus, and that surprises me just because there's a massive Asian population in Vancouver.

It will probably be like the other ones that just come and go, but I'm gonna avoid big cities for the next little while.

If that person came to Canada from Asia, they transited through Vancouver. There are people in Vancouver who have it, but aint showing symptoms yet.

cc

Update (and there will be many as this progresses and more becomes known)

China's health minister said he believes the novel coronavirus that has sickened over 2,000 and killed at least 81 can be spread during the incubation period, sparking fears that the virus may be more easily passed on than previously thought. National Health Minister Ma Xiaowei made the comments at a press briefing on Sunday and said that information on the virus was limited, making many risks unclear.

Ma said the incubation period for the novel coronavirus, identified by health officials as 2019-nCoV, can range from one to 14 days, during which it is infectious. While the virus was first linked to a large seafood and animal market in Wuhan, officials have since determined that it's transmissible between humans.

Ma said the country was entering a "crucial" stage in the response efforts as "it seems like the ability of the virus to spread is getting stronger."

Skippy

https://media.makeameme.org/created/year-of-the-75ba3abbbe.jpg">

:roll:

sasquatch

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "sasquatch"Apparently Toronto got its first case of coronavirus, and that surprises me just because there's a massive Asian population in Vancouver.

If that person came to Canada from Asia, they transited through Vancouver. There are people in Vancouver who have it, but aint showing symptoms yet.

Apparently a second case has sprung up in Toronto and it is because they were in contact with the first one. I'm guessing it is only a matter of time before Vancouver gets their first case of the "wu flu".

Health Canada is saying the masks are ineffective and may trap more germs than prevent.

https://www.freshdaily.ca/news/2020/01/canada-face-masks-prevent-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR1vclKDpAXUs-bsypf1XDeTe3aABQP-Tx_jNBSMjA9bgCn4adz9X6Wzsgs">https://www.freshdaily.ca/news/2020/01/ ... dz9X6Wzsgs">https://www.freshdaily.ca/news/2020/01/canada-face-masks-prevent-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR1vclKDpAXUs-bsypf1XDeTe3aABQP-Tx_jNBSMjA9bgCn4adz9X6Wzsgs

So, I'm avoiding big cities like Toronto and Vancouver, and if I visit Edmonton or Calgary this summer, I'm bringing hand sanitizer.

Anonymous

Quote from: "sasquatch"
Quote from: "Herman"

Apparently a second case has sprung up in Toronto and it is because they were in contact with the first one. I'm guessing it is only a matter of time before Vancouver gets their first case of the "wu flu".

Health Canada is saying the masks are ineffective and may trap more germs than prevent.

https://www.freshdaily.ca/news/2020/01/canada-face-masks-prevent-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR1vclKDpAXUs-bsypf1XDeTe3aABQP-Tx_jNBSMjA9bgCn4adz9X6Wzsgs">https://www.freshdaily.ca/news/2020/01/ ... dz9X6Wzsgs">https://www.freshdaily.ca/news/2020/01/canada-face-masks-prevent-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR1vclKDpAXUs-bsypf1XDeTe3aABQP-Tx_jNBSMjA9bgCn4adz9X6Wzsgs

So, U'm avoiding big cities like Toronto and Vancouver, and if I visit Edmonton or Calgary this summer, I'm bringing hand sanitizer.

I live forty five minutes North of Toronto. I wish I was four and a half hours away.

Anonymous

I was born in Hubei province. My parents moved us to the Southern boom town of Shenzhen when I was a year old. I don't have any relatives still living in that province. They are either dead or joined the Eastward migration. Except for my auntie who immigrated to Singapore. I haven't been back to Hubei since I was eight.