The best topic

Replies: 10564
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:39:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

COVID-19 >>"True and Helpful" Covid Information Thread

Started by cc, March 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 14 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=368266 time=1593048144 user_id=88
I'm not trying to shoot it down - rather what I'm trying to say is that I wish medicine, when speaking to the general population,  would stick to what it knows so far to be true, not to what it does not yet know to be true

The person could be right, but is merely theorizing at this point... thinking out loud

We have had so much bad info from "experts" taking one piece of info and extrapolating it into more than it is and done harm .. most of their theories to date have hurt more than they have helped

Seems like most of what public health experts have told us so far is theory.

Frood

Panic buying has restarted in parts of Australia, my city included...

Certain schools closing again...

Panic Merchants!
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=368321 time=1593051596 user_id=1676

Panic Merchants!

Has there been an uptick in infections?

Frood

Quote from: Herman post_id=368324 time=1593051960 user_id=1689

Panic Merchants!

Smallish daily growth increases over the last week... some people are freaking out...
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=368325 time=1593052298 user_id=1676

Panic Merchants!

Smallish daily growth increases over the last week... some people are freaking out...

We have had a bit of an uptick too since we started reopening. Some people are losing their shit over it.

Frood

Quote from: Herman post_id=368327 time=1593052568 user_id=1689

Panic Merchants!

We have had a bit of an uptick too since we started reopening. Some people are losing their shit over it.

The reaction to the upticks are more dangerous than the upticks.
Blahhhhhh...

Frood

Here is our idiot leader telling us it's our civic duty to be tested...

https://i.postimg.cc/0yBk1wfd/Screenshot-20200625-124830-Chrome.jpg">

He can get stuffed...
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=368330 time=1593053013 user_id=1676
Quote from: Herman post_id=368327 time=1593052568 user_id=1689

Panic Merchants!

The reaction to the upticks are more dangerous than the upticks.

Lock downs will go down in history as the dumbest decision the world has ever made.

Anonymous

We have to be realistic. We probably won't have a vaccine soon enough to make a difference. Better treatments seem like a more realistic option.

It typically takes a minimum of 10 years for a vaccine to complete the three consecutive phases of the clinical research pipeline. This is because of the scope and length of the experiments, the need to critically assess the results at each stage and the mountains of paperwork that are involved.

We contend that a safe and effective vaccine against severe acute respiratory syndrome-coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2), which is the causative agent of coronavirus disease COVID-19, most likely cannot be made available to the public in time to make a substantial difference to the natural outcome of this pandemic. People often cling to hope even when prospects of success are low. However, this can have negative consequences if that hope is not realized.

Vaccines are an effective way for a population to achieve what is known as "herd immunity." This is the concept that the pandemic will end once approximately 60-70 per cent of people become immune to SARS-CoV-2. An alternative is to let SARS-CoV-2 run its natural course until herd immunity is achieved. With physical distancing, some epidemiologists argue this could take two years, during which time a vaccine could be developed.

However, vaccinating at the tail end of a pandemic when disease incidence is very low and declining may be of little utility, hence the race to develop a vaccine for COVID-19. If one is not in widespread use within the first half of 2021, it will probably be too late to have a meaningful impact on the control of COVID-19.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7070536/covid-19-vaccine/">https://globalnews.ca/news/7070536/covid-19-vaccine/

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=368350 time=1593056275 user_id=56
We have to be realistic. We probably won't have a vaccine soon enough to make a difference. Better treatments seem like a more realistic option.

It typically takes a minimum of 10 years for a vaccine to complete the three consecutive phases of the clinical research pipeline. This is because of the scope and length of the experiments, the need to critically assess the results at each stage and the mountains of paperwork that are involved.

We contend that a safe and effective vaccine against severe acute respiratory syndrome-coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2), which is the causative agent of coronavirus disease COVID-19, most likely cannot be made available to the public in time to make a substantial difference to the natural outcome of this pandemic. People often cling to hope even when prospects of success are low. However, this can have negative consequences if that hope is not realized.

Vaccines are an effective way for a population to achieve what is known as "herd immunity." This is the concept that the pandemic will end once approximately 60-70 per cent of people become immune to SARS-CoV-2. An alternative is to let SARS-CoV-2 run its natural course until herd immunity is achieved. With physical distancing, some epidemiologists argue this could take two years, during which time a vaccine could be developed.

However, vaccinating at the tail end of a pandemic when disease incidence is very low and declining may be of little utility, hence the race to develop a vaccine for COVID-19. If one is not in widespread use within the first half of 2021, it will probably be too late to have a meaningful impact on the control of COVID-19.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7070536/covid-19-vaccine/">https://globalnews.ca/news/7070536/covid-19-vaccine/

So, most of us will have to catch the virus..

I hope there are better treatments available if that's the case.

Anonymous

Anonymous

I read that there could be thirty million Americans who have or had the coronavirus.

Anonymous

Hundreds of COVID-19 deaths could have been prevented by eliminating four-person nursing-home rooms: study

Residents of the most tightly packed facilities were twice as likely to get infected and to die as those in the least-crowded homes, concluded the paper

A new study points to a disturbingly simple explanation for some of the havoc wrought by COVID-19 in Canada's nursing homes: keeping residents in ward-like shared accommodation can be lethal.

The deaths of close to 300 long-term care residents in just one province could have been prevented if those individuals were housed in two-bed instead of four-bed rooms, suggests the research.

The study by University of Toronto, McMaster University and Public Health Ontario scientists, found a clear association between the degree of crowding in homes — how many people share a room and lavatory — and the virus's spread.

https://www.healthing.ca/news/hundreds-of-covid-19-deaths-could-have-been-prevented-by-eliminating-four-person-nursing-home-rooms-study">https://www.healthing.ca/news/hundreds- ... ooms-study">https://www.healthing.ca/news/hundreds-of-covid-19-deaths-could-have-been-prevented-by-eliminating-four-person-nursing-home-rooms-study

Common sense tells us crowding equals the spread of the virus among the most vulnerable people,

cc

Virus aside, certainly every person deserves their own private  room.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell