Replies: 10314
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 05:20:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Marvin

Sweden staying open amid the coronavirus pandemic

Started by Thiel, April 05, 2020, 07:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The medical community has been consistently wrong about this..

Epidemiologists in several Western countries said the spread was contained as late as the last week in February..

The CDC, WHO and United Stated Surgeon General Dr Jerome Adams told us a little more than a week ago that masks could cause more harm than good, and now we know it's not true.

Anonymous

Yeah, and to think we're letting them tell us what's good for us in all other things.

The French solution seems to be an option worth exploring. Amputate their heads and they might stop wasting our air with their garbage.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Guest"Yeah, and to think we're letting them tell us what's good for us in all other things.

The French solution seems to be an option worth exploring. Amputate their heads and they might stop wasting our air with their garbage.

I was in Taiwan at the end of January and the first two weeks of February..

Masks were required in public..

Until a week ago The CDC, WHO and the Surgeon General were advising not to wear them.

Oak

Quote from: "Fashionista"The medical community has been consistently wrong about this..

Epidemiologists in several Western countries said the spread was contained as late as the last week in February..

The CDC, WHO and United Stated Surgeon General Dr Jerome Adams told us a little more than a week ago that masks could cause more harm than good, and now we know it's not true.

I don't believe East Asia has done that great of a job.  China has a second wave of infections going on.

Please cite the Western epidemiologists that said this was resolved in February.  I don't recall seeing this anywhere, well except from Trump here in the US.

The reasons that there is lack of clarity on masks is because you have to factor in human behavior.   Most infections are caused by the virus you bring in on your hands by touching parts of your face.   A mask can't change that.

And the virus can live up to 7 days on a reused mask.   Good luck with that.

I think it's too early to start saying who is doing what better.  One good suggestion though, end the proximity of humans and exotic/wild animals.  There is no need for it.  Most human diseases have been caused by human and animal proximity.

That would be an excellent start.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Guest"Yeah, and to think we're letting them tell us what's good for us in all other things.

I was in Taiwan at the end of January and the first two weeks of February..

Masks were required in public..

Until a week ago The CDC, WHO and the Surgeon General were advising not to wear them.

Wasn't that around the time that Chinese sponsored Ethiopian plaguemaster enshrined as head wallah of the WHO? I think it might have been. I'd be taking their recommendations with a grain of salt if I were you.

Masks might not stop you from contracting it, but they can sure limit the amount of viral laden droplets an infectee can project out into the atmosphere with each cough. I've been wearing mine as a matter of course since mid march when reports of the first cases started surfacing locally. Hell, I might already have the virus, I might not, but with a window of two weeks before symptoms become apparent, I figure I'm at least limiting transmission of possible airborne pathogens I might have to others.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Oak"
Quote from: "Fashionista"The medical community has been consistently wrong about this..

I don't believe East Asia has done that great of a job.  China has a second wave of infections going on.

Please cite the Western epidemiologists that said this was resolved in February.  I don't recall seeing this anywhere, well except from Trump here in the US.

The reasons that there is lack of clarity on masks is because you have to factor in human behavior.   Most infections are caused by the virus you bring in on your hands by touching parts of your face.   A mask can't change that.

I think it's too early to start saying who is doing what better.  One good suggestion though, end the proximity of humans and exotic/wild animals.  There is no need for it.  Most human diseases have been caused by human and animal proximity.

I meant the wealthy democracies like Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore, not China..

I don't believe anything from Chinese authorities..

Those three East Asian countries have kept their economies open and used technology and targeted isolations as have been used throughout history instead of mass lockdowns and unemployment like Western countries..

Chief public health officer Theresa Tam and her deputy Howard Njoo assured the public as late as Feb. 26, when Njoo testified at the Commons standing committee on health that: "We have contained the virus."

Oak

I meant the wealthy democracies like Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore, not China..

Those three East Asian countries have kept their economies open and used technology and targeted isolations as have been used throughout history instead of mass lockdowns and unemployment like Western countries..

Chief public health officer Theresa Tam and her deputy Howard Njoo assured the public as late as Feb. 26, when Njoo testified at the Commons standing committee on health that: "We have contained the virus."

Chief public health officer in England?  That's only one Western democracy.

And, I don't know how those East Asian countries are going to do in the near future. I'd wait a little while until I crowed.  

One thing they did was contact tracing...our public health infrastructure has been dismantled by government in favor of treatment versus prevention. Well, as long as we favor treatment and not prevention, we'll keep having more people to treat.

Anonymous

Taiwan was the gold standard. I knew what Canadian public health officials told us about masks was bullshit.

Anonymous

Sew much demand: Suddenly, homemade masks are a booming cottage industry

On Thursday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced that it recommends all Americans to wear face coverings in public to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

The Michael Garron Hospital Foundation in Toronto has started a campaign calling on people who can sew to help make 1,000 masks a week for discharged patients, visitors and vulnerable communities so that surgical masks can be reserved for health-care workers. Staff in some hospitals are putting handmade masks over their N95 respirators to help make them last longer.

Soon after Ms. Kaesler started sewing, Lee-Anne Moore-Thibert began organizing a sewing circle on Facebook in Durham Region, east of Toronto. Within one day, her group had 300 people. She renamed it Ontario Sews and split it into different regions across the province, but still it kept growing.

In normal times, Ms. Moore-Thibert is a managing partner of the paralegal firm Cochrane Moore LLP in Oshawa. This week, she expanded her sewing network, opening chapters in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Quebec. British Columbia is next. With the help of her administration team in Durham, the group, now called Canada Sews, organized teams, material allocation and drop-off locations in partnership with individual UPS stores to reduce face-to-face contact.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-sew-much-demand-suddenly-homemade-masks-are-a-booming-cottage/">https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... g-cottage/">https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-sew-much-demand-suddenly-homemade-masks-are-a-booming-cottage/

Because we got false information in Western countries from public health officials people could've been wearing masks from the beginning.

Anonymous

Austria and Denmark's pandemic has been similar to the USA on a per capita basis..

Both countries are preparing to open schools, stores, restaurants and coffee shops over the next five weeks.

Anonymous

It makes sense they would. The only "cure" for the pandemic that's been prescribed turned out to be worse than the pandemic itself. I find it a little ironic that we can hold China in the light we do, yet give our own leaders get a free pass for dropkicking the whole shitshow into the toilet and legislating the rest of us to jump in after it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Guest"It makes sense they would. The only "cure" for the pandemic that's been prescribed turned out to be worse than the pandemic itself. I find it a little ironic that we can hold China in the light we do, yet give our own leaders get a free pass for dropkicking the whole shitshow into the toilet and legislating the rest of us to jump in after it.

There will be more people dying due to unemployment than from coronavirus if governments in North America don't allow people to go back to work soon..

I'm unimpressed with the way North America and Europe have responded to this pandemic..

But, don't get me wrong, it's entirely China's fault.

Anonymous

And here is how that might work.

Antibody testing can help open the economy and get us working again

The Food and Drug Administration has, with historic rapidity, approved an antibody test for home use. It will soon be mass produced, giving medical workers an entirely new set of data on the pandemic. Despite a perplexing degree of baseless pessimism in the media, antibody testing could finally provide the blueprint for getting Americans working again if we can safely confirm that immunity to the coronavirus works as expected.

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/491423-antibody-testing-can-help-open-the-economy-and-get-us-working-again">https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/ ... king-again">https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/491423-antibody-testing-can-help-open-the-economy-and-get-us-working-again

Anonymous

Quote from: "Guest"It makes sense they would. The only "cure" for the pandemic that's been prescribed turned out to be worse than the pandemic itself. I find it a little ironic that we can hold China in the light we do, yet give our own leaders get a free pass for dropkicking the whole shitshow into the toilet and legislating the rest of us to jump in after it.

There will be more people dying due to unemployment than from coronavirus if governments in North America don't allow people to go back to work soon..

I'm unimpressed with the way North America and Europe have responded to this pandemic..

But, don't get me wrong, it's entirely China's fault.

Only if by "it" you mean the pathogen getting out into the world at large. China is no more responsible for the way the rest of the world reacted to it than Trump is responsible for China shipping it in the first place.

Quote from: "seoulbro"And here is how that might work.

Antibody testing can help open the economy and get us working again

The Food and Drug Administration has, with historic rapidity, approved an antibody test for home use. It will soon be mass produced, giving medical workers an entirely new set of data on the pandemic. Despite a perplexing degree of baseless pessimism in the media, antibody testing could finally provide the blueprint for getting Americans working again if we can safely confirm that immunity to the coronavirus works as expected.

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/491423-antibody-testing-can-help-open-the-economy-and-get-us-working-again">https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/ ... king-again">https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/491423-antibody-testing-can-help-open-the-economy-and-get-us-working-again

That's the glass half full version. Murphy's Law is likely to give rise to other strains in the interim once we go the human guineapig route and I'm sure there will be no end of screaming from the usual suspects once Orangemanbad decides it's the way forward. It's what they do.

I just hope the practice is not made mandatory, but after seeing how effectively Big Pharma was mandated into sticking all and sundry with whatever chemical cocktail was the decreed flavour of the year I don't like our chances. So glad the only kids I have are the ones certain messageboard drones invented out of thin air for me, the rate we're going I can well imagine Frank Herbert's depiction of House Harkonnen to be humanity's ultimate fate.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview