Replies: 8508
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Health professor: Corona hysteria doing more damage than epidemic

Started by Gaon, April 10, 2020, 10:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaon

Health experts demand end of closure, claim economic damage will drive increase morbidity and be worse than coronavirus epidemic.

A former director of Israel's health ministry and member of Knesset said Monday the "monstrous hysteria" over the coronavirus pandemic is doing more damage to the country than the virus itself.

Prof. Yoram Lass of Tel Aviv University said a letter that he and a dozen colleagues sent last week to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was ignored. The health experts wrote that the strict closures of schools and much of the economy would cause Israel's morbidity rate to go up and over time would result in more deaths than from the coronavirus epidemic.

"There is a monstrous hysteria like in the rest of the world" that was being driven by panic in the media.

"This is the first time that a medical epidemic has been accompanied by a social media epidemic," Lass told World Israel News.

Under the strict closures ordered by the government to prevent the spread of the virus, the education system was shut down and most Israelis have been restricted to their homes. In the space of a few weeks the unemployment rate has skyrocketed to a staggering 25 percent and there are fears of long-term damage to Israel's economy.

In a Channel 13 interview last week, Lass and colleague Prof. Asher Elhayani pointed to a European study that showed that any 1 percent increase in the unemployment rate leads to a 0.4 percent increase in population mortality. Elyahani said the drop in standard of living results in a rise in depression, suicide and other factors that adversely affect public health.

"The number of people likely to die as a result of quarantine, unemployment, poverty and loneliness will be infinitely greater than the number of deaths expected from the virus," the letter stated.

The professors said there is no data to support the claim that the coronavirus epidemic compares to the 20th-century Spanish influenza pandemic. Keeping healthy people at home who are not in high-risk groups was damaging the country, they stressed.

Elyani said he wasn't advising to remove the conditions totally, but to be smarter in battling the epidemic by concentrating on those who were more susceptible.

He recommended immediately reopening schools while keeping older staff at home because they are in a more susceptible age group.

Lass and Elhayani, a member of the Israel National Institute For Health Policy Research, said the 585 Israelis who have already recovered from the virus could go back to work immediately with no problems.

Lass said the mass hysteria was driving the politicians and public to take drastic, unneeded actions because they were expecting the worst case scenarios to happen.

https://worldisraelnews.com/health-professor-corona-hysteria-doing-more-damage-than-epidemic/?utm_source=browser&utm_medium=push_notification&utm_campaign=vwo_notification_1586505908&vwo_powered=1">https://worldisraelnews.com/health-prof ... _powered=1">https://worldisraelnews.com/health-professor-corona-hysteria-doing-more-damage-than-epidemic/?utm_source=browser&utm_medium=push_notification&utm_campaign=vwo_notification_1586505908&vwo_powered=1

A total lockdown doesn't seem rational.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

There is probably a better way than a total lockdown. The health professionals advising governments have been wrong so much, it is hard to take them seriously anymore.

Gaon

Quote from: "Herman"There is probably a better way than a total lockdown. The health professionals advising governments have been wrong so much, it is hard to take them seriously anymore.

A total lockdown of healthy people. That does not make a lot of sense.
The Russian Rock It

cc

QuoteA total lockdown of healthy people. That does not make a lot of sense.

Not arguing with you and I am aware of your current situation .. Now,  the other side of that argument

one of those healthy people are out there  till one contacts a carrier

now 1 more carrying it (maybe not even knowingly) .. and many other get it from him .. and many others get it from them  .. and many others get it from them on a rapidly escalating scale

Replicate that x ???? and we overfill hospitals and can't cope .. and we have to shut everything down ... but it's too late .. no hospital beds .. nada

Remember as it is currently, right now (despite lockdown and few out there in public)  - Yet, we all have to admit that in current situations (today)  healthcare facilities have been pushed to and some beyond their abilities

I know little for sure, but I do know there are no easy answers ... this stuff is the easiest to catch and most spreadable illness ever seen .. and worse, one can go days spreading it while not knowing they even have it

I don't know current status, but I do know Israel  .. always the sharpest tool in the box ..  and gutsiest ... and wisest .. shut down tight  . .even though it is most prevalent among orthodox
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Berry Sweet

People acting like teenagers who are grounded...oooh you have to stay home, life is so hard, boo-fuckin-hoo...

caskur

Quote from: "Gaon"Health experts demand end of closure, claim economic damage will drive increase morbidity and be worse than coronavirus epidemic.

Nothing in our modern times has come close to this.

Have you not seen the mass graves in the USA?

Our doctors know there should be 100% stage 4 lockdown and it should have started weeks ago.

We just have to tough it out... there will be another wave soon enough.

You will be OK... people survived the Great Depression... we will survive this too.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gaon"
Quote from: "Herman"There is probably a better way than a total lockdown. The health professionals advising governments have been wrong so much, it is hard to take them seriously anymore.

A total lockdown of healthy people. That does not make a lot of sense.

Gaon, you're a very good poster..

But, could your haste to reopen the economy be for personal reasons?

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "Gaon"Health experts demand end of closure, claim economic damage will drive increase morbidity and be worse than coronavirus epidemic.

Nothing in our modern times has come close to this.

Have you not seen the mass graves in the USA?

Our doctors know there should be 100% stage 4 lockdown and it should have started weeks ago.

We just have to tough it out... there will be another wave soon enough.

You will be OK... people survived the Great Depression... we will survive this too.

Of the eighteen thousand deaths in the USA officially listed as due to COVID-19, not all are due to the virus..

If one has a heart attack and dies, but tests positive for the virus, their cause of death is registered as due to the virus..

The official death count from coronavirus is unreliable.

cc

Remember that the virus can bring on heart problems along with many other problems .. so I'll argue that they are not perverting the count in those situations

If they listed it as heart, then they are kidding themselves as to the deadliness of the virus

In fact, there is technically 0 death by virus - all are do to items brought on by the virus ... lungs being main one, heart and other items

Now, if it was someone coming in the door with heart problem and died and not virus positive, I suspect it is not counted as virus ... so I don't buy the central  argument, although I have heard it said a lot

cc

On another argument, lock down or not, Rand Paul, someone I often see as voice of wisdom just said something that made me angry

He said, "So, they closed down California for 500 deaths"

What a gross distortion of fact - Yes, they had 500 deaths  .. BECAUSE they shut down very early FFS.

NY has 8,000 and rising because they were slow to shut down for example

People don't get it - if no shutdowns, health care will be totally overwhelmed (by a factor of multiples in fact .. like x2, x3,x4 etc) and be able to help few to none

As to what happens when things open up - I'm not optimistic ...  may mean a great many cases and "here we go again"

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Remember that the virus can bring on heart problems along with many other problems .. so I'll argue that they are not perverting the count in those situations

If they listed it as heart, then they are kidding themselves as to the deadliness of the virus

In fact, there is technically 0 death by virus - all are do to items brought on by the virus ... lungs being main one, heart and other items

Now, if it was someone coming in the door with heart problem and died and not virus positive, I suspect it is not counted as virus ... so I don't buy the central  argument, although I have heard it said a lot

As I understand it, even if a person is asymptomatic, but dies, the coronavirus is listed as the cause of death.

cc

I get it .. but still,

asymptomatic & dying not of virus would be  a rare situation .. would not greatly skew the count

Also, symptoms and effects vary greatly - Some exhibit very very different symptoms ..  maybe what they died from WAS their virus symptom

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"I get it .. but still,

asymptomatic & dying not of virus would be  a rare situation .. would not greatly skew the count

Also, symptoms and effects vary greatly - Some exhibit very very different symptoms ..  maybe what they died from WAS their virus symptom

That is not the impression I got from a video I saw of Dr Brix..

She basically acknowledged the death count is inaccurate..

But, nearly everything health leaders in the West have told us so far has been false.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"On another argument, lock down or not, Rand Paul, someone I often see as voice of wisdom just said something that made me angry

He said, "So, they closed down California for 500 deaths"

What a gross distortion of fact - Yes, they had 500 deaths  .. BECAUSE they shut down very early FFS.

NY has 8,000 and rising because they were slow to shut down for example

People don't get it - if no shutdowns, health care will be totally overwhelmed (by a factor of multiples in fact .. like x2, x3,x4 etc) and be able to help few to none

As to what happens when things open up - I'm not optimistic ...  may mean a great many cases and "here we go again"

I'm becoming skeptical of total lockdowns..

I prefer the targeted isolation and use of technology methods advanced Asian countries have used..

Though, due to privacy concerns it may not be possible to do that here in North America.

cc