Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

UK Warns No More ‘Business as Usual’ With China After Pandemic Ends

Started by cc, April 17, 2020, 04:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Dominic Raab has said there is "no doubt" it will not be "business as usual" with China once the coronavirus crisis is over.

The foreign secretary, who is deputising for Prime Minister Boris Johnson as he recovers from contracting COVID-19, said there needs to be a "deep dive" review into how the virus was able to spread from China.

He added that "hard questions" need to be asked about how the coronavirus came about and how its spread was not halted earlier.

"I think there absolutely needs to be a very, very deep dive after the event review of the lessons - including of the outbreak of the virus - and I don't think we can flinch from that at all, it needs to be driven by the science," Mr Raab told the government's daily COVID-19 news conference.

His remarks came as Sky News learnt the UK is investigating the origin of the coronavirus pandemic, including a possibility it could be linked to a Chinese laboratory conducting research into diseases in bats.

Mr Raab said the UK and China had good cooperation when it comes to the procurement of equipment and the return of UK nationals, adding that the review would need to be carried out in a "balanced way".

However, he went on to say: "But there is no doubt we can't have business as usual after this crisis, and we will have to ask the hard questions about how it came about and how it couldn't have been stopped earlier."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-no-more-business-as-usual-with-china-after-covid-19-crisis-warns-dominic-raab-11974398">https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... b-11974398">https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-no-more-business-as-usual-with-china-after-covid-19-crisis-warns-dominic-raab-11974398
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

I don't know how we are are going to get our supply chains back home. Don't expect China to just let them go. We must do it, but the devil will be in the details.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"I don't know how we are are going to get our supply chains back home. Don't expect China to just let them go. We must do it, but the devil will be in the details.

The medical supply chain should never have went to China in the first place.

cc

I guess it happened slowly over time, but how stupid Western govts were to allow it

I'm usually against regulation in principle, but for meds gov't should have stepped in and said "no"

Actually, I have always been against any firms going to China and would have supported govts stepping in and stopping them

Anyone who could not see what was happening and the power we were giving to China was sleepwalking through life

Free trade deals between countries was the problem - I'll take deals with individual countries and high tariffs (when a country won't play fair ball) to keep work at home anytime

The cost for "independence" and not letting China grow strong along with having control over us may seem high for some, but is cheap in this harsh real world

We sold our souls for cheap goods and less work in our countries (Where TF is the advantage in that?)- We did not need to do that .. We did not need to sell our souls .. as if that wasn't enough .. then they virused us
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"I guess it happened slowly over time, but how stupid Western govts were to allow it

I'm usually against regulation in principle, but for meds gov't should have stepped in and said "no"

Actually, I have always been against any firms going to China and would have supported govts stepping in and stopping them

Anyone who could not see what was happening and the power we were giving to China was sleepwalking through life

Free trade deals between countries was the problem - I'll take deals with individual countries and high tariffs (when a country won't play fair ball) to keep work at home anytime

The cost for "independence" and not letting China grow strong along with having control over us may seem high for some, but is cheap in this harsh real world

We sold our souls for cheap goods and less work in our countries (Where TF is the advantage in that?)- We did not need to do that .. We did not need to sell our souls .. as if that wasn't enough .. then they virused us

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

caskur

Quote from: "cc"

We sold our souls for cheap goods and less work in our countries

Not really. Our greedy business slugs wanted to use sweat shops in China instead of paying minimum and livable wages in our western countries.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"

Not really. Our greedy business slugs wanted to use sweat shops in China instead of paying minimum and livable wages in our western countries.

But, as I showed in a different thread, when productivity is factored in, wages are not lower in China.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"I guess it happened slowly over time, but how stupid Western govts were to allow it

Nobody has been more supportive of trade than I have been. But, the WTO has become a subordinate organization of China. Trade has become totally one sided. China wins, the world loses.

caskur

Quote from: "seoulbro"

But, as I showed in a different thread, when productivity is factored in, wages are not lower in China.

I have no idea what China's wages are these days but you're fooling yourself if you think the reason businesses went offshore in the first place wasn't about saving money because I've heard business people say they took their manufacturing to China's cheap labour.

Now they're using the Bangladeshi up and screwing them of proper wages.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

I have no idea what China's wages are these days but you're fooling yourself if you think the reason businesses went offshore in the first place wasn't about saving money because I've heard business people say they took their manufacturing to China's cheap labour.

Now they're using the Bangladeshi up and screwing them of proper wages.

Productivity is the rate of output per unit of input. Hundreds of employees working long hours performing a single repetitive task is not productivity. Fewer workers performing more tasks and achieving the same or higher levels of output is productivity.

Four years ago, China's labour costs were only 4% cheaper than those in the U.S. when productivity is factored in, according to Oxford Economics. Today, with rising wages in China, and increased productivity is factored wages are equal, if not slightly higher wages in China.

That's because wages in China have risen much faster than increases in productivity. Coupled with a strengthening yuan, Chinese labour costs have grown dramatically. Meanwhile, huge productivity improvements in the U.S. have helped keep labour costs down.

https://money.cnn.com/2016/03/17/news/economy/china-cheap-labor-productivity/index.html">https://money.cnn.com/2016/03/17/news/e ... index.html">https://money.cnn.com/2016/03/17/news/economy/china-cheap-labor-productivity/index.html

I explained it to TVG in this thread.

https://thebluecashew.net/post357224.html?hilit=output#p357224">https://thebluecashew.net/post357224.html?hilit=output#p357224

caskur

Well I hope they surpass the wests wages so the business people in my country suffer for putting our workers to the dole line. With any luck, they will

I was pretty annoyed when our Bonds company (socks, underwear) left Australia for China.
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"Well I hope they surpass the wests wages so the business people in my country suffer for putting our workers to the dole line. With any luck, they will

I was pretty annoyed when our Bonds company (socks, underwear) left Australia for China.

They already have passed most of the West when productivity is factored in. Take a look at this graph.

https://www.brinknews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/YKLb_DkhAhbpnL2n9doJFLNq8TSnLRf6U0gjX8tBAt4.png">

The higher productivity is, the lower your labour costs. And as you can see, China did not makes the list.

Anonymous

That's what most people don't understand Seoul..

Higher wages often means lower overall labour costs.