Replies: 10349
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 19, 2024, 11:54:50 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

My coming out thread

Started by Anonymous, May 16, 2020, 06:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

After reading this, I'm not sure about what I found above on antibiotic use for virus - and it supports that you are right about "secondary" issues being the most serious  ... seems in that way, it has a major role in virus "secondary" issues issues

This appears to counter what I quoted above  and is written by a former head of CDC -  It appears to say the opposite

Antibiotic resistance: the hidden threat lurking behind Covid-19[/url]

The new coronavirus is no exception. Already, some studies have found that 1 in 7 patients hospitalized with Covid-19 has acquired a dangerous secondary bacterial infection, and 50% of patients who have died had such infections. The challenge of antibiotic resistance could become an enormous force of additional sickness and death across our health system as the toll of coronavirus pneumonia stretches critical care units beyond their capacity.

Seventeen years ago, when I was leading the CDC, we worried about antibiotic resistance complicating the care of SARS patients. We knew then that America's arsenal of antibiotics was not sufficient to guarantee we could manage a large outbreak of drug-resistant bacteria. Since then, these bacteria have only become more widespread, more deadly, and far more difficult to treat, yet our stable of antibiotics to manage them has barely increased. In fact, the gap between the superbug threats we face and the antibiotics we have to combat them is rapidly growing wider.

We can't predict when or where the next pandemic-triggering virus will emerge, but we can predict that secondary bacterial infections will follow. To fight these superbugs, we desperately need new antibiotics. An important question policymakers should be asking themselves is this: Why don't we have powerful antibiotics on hand when we need them the most?

[So ... . Antibiotics ARE used on covid .. not as step one, but for secondary infections caused by it]
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

caskur

When I had anti-biotic (penicillin) when I had my wisdom teeth out, I developed an allergy to them... I didn't have any for over 30 years... Then I just had to have some when I had pneumonia and not only did they work, I didn't develop as rash.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

cc

That was fortunate - Most who are allergic to antibiotics remain that way

cc

I had to laff when you described  "Queens in Perth"

I related as a  "Queens in White Rock" .. just never heard it called  that

I literally laffed out loud

caskur

Quote from: "cc"That was fortunate - Most who are allergic to antibiotics remain that way

Yes... but a thirty year gap is a considerable length of time.

I under-use medication. I want healthy organs when I get to old age. I know one day I'm going to need meds and I want them to work and not have my body reject them. My doctor said he wished everyone thought like me.

Quote from: "cc"I had to laff when you described  "Queens in Perth"

I related as a  "Queens in White Rock" .. just never heard it called  that

I literally laffed out loud

Well that child acts like a princess. I had to let her know I'm a Queen...lol ;)
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Frood

Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "cc"^^ Again, you are getting very different news. I recall him resting a cpl of days and then I recall him  profusely thanking those who saved him. He made a biggy of that on more than one occasion. I saw much on that on US TV

Seems at least re: UK, you are getting propaganda, not news

We here  get a LOT of propaganda vs UK, US etc

From searching, I see a lot of "antibiotics will not help with a virus" ... so seems I did have major pneumonia and that's it (along with major urinary infection)

Thinking .. had my situation happened a week or so later when all the news and hospital vigilance was directed towards covid .. I may have initially gotten treated for virus instead (had many of the symptoms .. trouble breathing, weakness, high temp etc.) , which would have been very bad for me .. I needed antibiotic NOW .. especially as I called for help at least 2 -3 days after I should have in retrospect !!!

You are correct, anti biotics do not help a virus... they treat SECONDARY BACTERIAL infections.

The people who died of the Spanish Flu didn't actually die of the Spanish flu, they died of THE SECONDARY BACTERIAL INFECTIONS because anti-biotic hadn't been invented yet. Australians invented (probably the wrong word) a use for anti-biotics much later.

Cytokine Storms were the major killers in Spanish Flu deaths... ie inflammatory responses..  similar happens with Swine/Bird Flu and now this...
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"I cannot take the misinformation I am reading. I caught the coronavirus. I will be forty six near the end of the year and I smoked for twenty seven years. I had a little more serious symptoms than most people, but I still made a full recovery. And when I say serious, I mean typical flu like symptoms. I am fine now and I can neither catch it again, not pass it on.

Damn, really. What was the worst part of it?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"Damn, really. What was the worst part of it?

Pooping my pants at the most inopportune moments, unfortunately.

Gaon

Quote from: "seoulbro"I cannot take the misinformation I am reading. I caught the coronavirus. I will be forty six near the end of the year and I smoked for twenty seven years. I had a little more serious symptoms than most people, but I still made a full recovery. And when I say serious, I mean typical flu like symptoms. I am fine now and I can neither catch it again, not pass it on.

I knew you would be fine. Most if us will catch it and recover too.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

Damn, really. What was the worst part of it?

Coughing. I was given a puffer, but I didn't need it.

Odinson

Quote from: "seoul"
Quote from: "Herman"Damn, really. What was the worst part of it?

Pooping my pants at the most inopportune moments, unfortunately.

Oh shit...

Anonymous

I don't think anybody should be surprised SB made a full recovery. Over 80% of people who people who catch the coronavirus develop only mild symptoms. In my province about 80 per cent of people who caught it have recovered. So, let's shut down the economy, cancel surgeries and rack up massive deficits.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"I don't think anybody should be surprised SB made a full recovery. Over 80% of people who people who catch the coronavirus develop only mild symptoms. In my province about 80 per cent of people who caught it have recovered. So, let's shut down the economy, cancel surgeries and rack up massive deficits.

More than half of the people in Canada who have caught the virus have recovered. And of course that number and percentage will rise.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"More than half of the people in Canada who have caught the virus have recovered.

What happened to the other half?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Curious"
Quote from: "seoulbro"More than half of the people in Canada who have caught the virus have recovered.

What happened to the other half?

They haven't been declared recovered yet. And about six thousand have died. Most were in elder care.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview