The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

Nearly 2 million Canadians believe they have or had COVID-19 and aren't getting tested

Started by Anonymous, May 27, 2020, 01:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

What's most concerning is the poll found that same cohort of Canadians aren't behaving all that differently than those who believe they've never had the virus

EDMONTON — As many as six per cent of Canadian adults — perhaps 1.8 million people — thought they had COVID-19 or think they currently have it, but haven't been tested for it, says new polling from the Association for Canadian Studies-Leger Marketing.

There has been a concerted effort in many jurisdictions to get as many people as possible tested daily, and recommendations for people to wear masks and take other precautions while in public.

But still, it appears that many people do not get tested, even when they think they are sick with the virus.

Many Americans believe similarly, with eight per cent —  about 20 million Americans — thinking they have or have had the virus, but didn't get testing (not including those who said they "don't know" or preferred not to answer). The figure is highest for Americans aged 30 to 39, at 13 per cent.

British Columbians are the most likely to think they were infected, but didn't get tested (eight per cent), followed by Ontarians at seven per cent, and Quebecers, Albertans and Atlantic Canadians at six per cent. People in Manitoba and Saskatchewan were the least likely (at two per cent) to think they have or had  COVID-19 but did not get tested.

What's most concerning is that those who believe they have had COVID-19 or believe they currently have it are not behaving substantially differently from those who believe they've never had it.

https://nationalpost.com/news/nearly-2-million-canadians-believe-they-have-or-had-covid-19-and-arent-getting-tested">https://nationalpost.com/news/nearly-2- ... ing-tested">https://nationalpost.com/news/nearly-2-million-canadians-believe-they-have-or-had-covid-19-and-arent-getting-tested

I believe the actual number of infections here in Ontario is much higher than the official number of about 26,000.

Anonymous

With so many people being asymptomatic or having symptoms no worse than a mild cold, I wouldn't expect them to be tested..

But, we should be testing people in nursing homes or who work in nursing homes regularly.

deadskinmask

the tests have an 80% chance of being wrong.... as far as i'm concerned, faulty tests are worse than no test at all....

Anonymous

Quote from: deadskinmask post_id=363785 time=1590600989 user_id=1582
the tests have an 80% chance of being wrong.... as far as i'm concerned, faulty tests are worse than no test at all....

I agree, but I thought they had a higher accuracy than that..

Maybe I'm thinking of the new antibodies test.

ac_umm

deadskinmask

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=363799 time=1590604100 user_id=3254
Quote from: deadskinmask post_id=363785 time=1590600989 user_id=1582

I agree, but I thought they had a higher accuracy than that..

Maybe I'm thinking of the new antibodies test.

ac_umm

i dunno.... i haven't bothered to keep up with it.... i'm so over this covid bullshit.... :laugh:

cc

So far there is no accepted antibody test here

Canada has been testing 17 for the past 40 days

Talked to my Doc yesterday - so I'm up on it > she said she checked and it's now down to 2 & decision expected this week > then full bore production

As I qualify for "quite possible", Doc has me at top of her list ... We'll see when it happens

As to accuracy, the new antibody test should be very high (best of 17 tested)- We should hear on the one chosen and plans to test imminently
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=363801 time=1590604542 user_id=88
So far there is no accepted antibody test

Canada has been testing 17 for the past 40 days

Talked to my Doc yesterday - so I'm up on it > she said it's now down to 2 & decision expected this week > then full bore production

As I qualify for "quite possible", Doc has me at top of her list ... We'll see when it happens

As to accuracy, the new antibody test should be very high (best of 17 tested)- We should hear on the one chosen and plans to test imminently

I read that trials in Canada and around the world have shown high rates of inaccuracy.

cc

Let's see what Canada says this week, assuming a fast decision on the remaining 2 candidates

They will know, as they have been testing many technologies & will pick the best one

This whole thing has been a progress in new things being developed and improved .. so I refuse to be negative on it

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=363812 time=1590607456 user_id=88
Let's see what Canada says this week, assuming a fast decision on the remaining 2 candidates

They will know, as they have been testing many technologies & will pick the best one

This whole thing has been a progress in new things being developed and improved .. so I refuse to be negative on it

Have they given any indication when antibody test kits would be available?

cc

They pick this week, and I'm guessin as they will be the most accurate, & one picked will be the one that can produce fast - if they have not already started

According to my Doc we will know final details and testing expectations any day now

This one really matters to everyone and to getting economy firing

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=363817 time=1590608192 user_id=88
They pick this week, and I'm guessin as they will be the most accurate, & one picked will be the one that can produce fast - if they have not already started

According to my Doc we will know final details and testing expectations any day now

This one really matters to everyone and to getting economy firing

Markets are way up. Like forty per cent from the lows of the pandemic. This will speed up any recovery, pissing off progtards. :thumbup:

Thiel

I was in China at the end of November. I had a cough for a few days upon return. It could have been COVID.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Quote from: Thiel post_id=364094 time=1590866910 user_id=1688
I was in China at the end of November. I had a cough for a few days upon return. It could have been COVID.

We have thousands of young people that returned from Florida in March that probably caught the virus. I was in Florida myself, but that is not where I caught it.

cc

Far as I can figure, Canada picked 2 antibody tests & are moving forward full speed

A month of testing showed at least 98 % accuracy

Abbott (ABT) has received Health Canada authorization for the ARCHITECT SARS-CoV-2 IgG test, a laboratory-based serology blood test for the detection of the antibody, IgG, that identifies if a person has had COVID-19. Abbott expects to begin shipping antibody tests to Canada in the current week

The Italian-made test, the DiaSorin LIAISON, was approved by Health Canada on Tuesday and will be used in Canadian labs to determine if a blood sample contains COVID-19 antibodies -- evidence that an individual was exposed to the virus and recovered.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=364137 time=1590889926 user_id=88
Far as I can figure, Canada picked 2 antibody tests & are moving forward full speed

A month of testing showed at least 98 % accuracy

Abbott (ABT) has received Health Canada authorization for the ARCHITECT SARS-CoV-2 IgG test, a laboratory-based serology blood test for the detection of the antibody, IgG, that identifies if a person has had COVID-19. Abbott expects to begin shipping antibody tests to Canada in the current week

The Italian-made test, the DiaSorin LIAISON, was approved by Health Canada on Tuesday and will be used in Canadian labs to determine if a blood sample contains COVID-19 antibodies -- evidence that an individual was exposed to the virus and recovered.

This will be a boost to the economy.