News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10387
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:57:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

is there any idiom that describes a situation?

Started by jaysings, December 08, 2013, 07:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "jaysings"
Quote from: "Shen Li"

I misread that word. look, let me make an assumption. u might be 9 years old if u came to Canada in 1993. learning English is not a big deal to any of teens under 12 because they are at the best time in learing anything new, and it is known as common sense. besides, u are living in Edmonton where Chinese are not as many as in Vancouver. I could have been using Chinese here at the rest of my life if I want to; however, I told myself that I shouldn't live that way like a real loser. I realized how important English is three years ago and determined to improve it no matter what stops me. I really don't think that my english is as bad as those ESL students at the beginning level.

I can't believe your parents made no effort to learn English before or after arriving. I also can't believe they didn't push you to learn English. My parents sure as hell did with me.

Anyway, better late than never I guess. Go nuts and learn as much as you can as quickly as you can. You have a lot of time to make up for, so you gotta study hard.

they don't understand English either. my father has gone back to China for his business, and my mother doesn't care about English at all. she lives well without using English here. Once she needs someone's help for reading letters in English or talking to English speakers in phone, it must be me. thus, will u believe that people who don't give a shit to English push their children to study English? if my realization came late, I never became a member of this forum.

My parents live in a mostly Mandarin speaking environment in Calgary too jaysings..

But, they can both read, write and speak English..

My parents would get my brother and I to fill out forms for them sometimes when we were younger, but they could do it themselves if they had to..

While I think Shen Li is being too critical, the English language should be a basic requirement of all immigrants unless it is elderly grandparents who will never participate in the workforce or drive a car..

Good luck with your efforts jaysings.

jaysings

Quote from: "Fashionista"
I can't believe your parents made no effort to learn English before or after arriving. I also can't believe they didn't push you to learn English. My parents sure as hell did with me.

Anyway, better late than never I guess. Go nuts and learn as much as you can as quickly as you can. You have a lot of time to make up for, so you gotta study hard.

they don't understand English either. my father has gone back to China for his business, and my mother doesn't care about English at all. she lives well without using English here. Once she needs someone's help for reading letters in English or talking to English speakers in phone, it must be me. thus, will u believe that people who don't give a shit to English push their children to study English? if my realization came late, I never became a member of this forum.

My parents live in a mostly Mandarin speaking environment in Calgary too jaysings..

But, they can both read, write and speak English..

My parents would get my brother and I to fill out forms for them sometimes when we were younger, but they could do it themselves if they had to..

While I think Shen Li is being too critical, the English language should be a basic requirement of all immigrants unless it is elderly grandparents who will never participate in the workforce or drive a car..

Good luck with your efforts jaysings.

everyone has his/her story; my parents got different point of views from your parants', and the whole story would go differently even in a situation your parents struggled in.

maybe it's time to double check my writing before submitting it. it makes me exhausted, but it seems very important to do so in order that it can sound like educated person's work. I felt free to reply without thinking about grammar, but it turns out that my thought is wrong because u are no different from those on VF criticizing me of my English

Anonymous

everyone has his/her story; my parents got different point of views from your parants', and the whole would go different totally even in a situation your parents struggled in.

maybe it's time to double check my writing before submitting it. it makes me exhausted, but it seems very important to do so in order that it can sound like educated person's work. I felt free to reply without thinking about grammar, but it turns out that my thought is wrong because u are no different from those on VF criticizing me of my English

Dude, don't ever compare me to that erratic old freak of nature Vesna and her loyal following of effeminate dunces. I have my own mind and yes I speak it freely. You may not like what I say sometimes, but if you can't handle even a little constructive criticism how the fuck do you expect to make it in life?

Post whatever you want and when you want. However, don't expect us to NOT tell you if we cannot understand what you are saying. However, I still think we are for the most part a lot nicer to you than the VF crowd ever was.

jaysings

everyone has his/her story; my parents got different point of views from your parants', and the whole would go different totally even in a situation your parents struggled in.

Dude, don't ever compare me to that erratic old freak of nature Vesna and her loyal following of effeminate dunces. I have my own mind and yes I speak it freely. You may not like what I say sometimes, but if you can't handle even a little constructive criticism how the fuck do you expect to make it in life?

Post whatever you want and when you want. However, don't expect us to NOT tell you if we cannot understand what you are saying. However, I still think we are for the most part a lot nicer to you than the VF crowd ever was.

nothing changes even I take your criticism but only feel hurt. u didn't tell me that u didn't understand what I wrote. U could have told me where I made a mistake in my writing, but u didn't. I was trying to reply without thinking grammar and translating Chinese into English, and I believed that u wouldn't treat me like some did on VF. Even u asserted u are nicer to me than them, but I found your words are serious as same as their. your criticisms don't help me get aware of my fault because I knew what I did and was feeling regretful not to learn English as soon as I came here.

jaysings

If I didn't trust u, I would be totally fine to handle your criticisms for sure. I don't mind taking unpleasant but honest advices from anybody I don't care about. but once I feel free to express myself somewhere, I will become sensitive at any of criticisms. thus, don't think that I'm not tough enough to take your criticisms

Anonymous

nothing changes even I take your criticism but only feel hurt. u didn't tell me that u didn't understand what I wrote. U could have told me where I made a mistake in my writing, but u didn't. I was trying to reply without thinking grammar and translating Chinese into English, and I believed that u wouldn't treat me like some did on VF. Even u asserted u are nicer to me than them, but I found your words are serious as same as their. your criticisms don't help me get aware of my fault because I knew what I did and was feeling regretful not to learn English as soon as I came here.

People might not tell you they don't understand for a variety of reasons. That is their business whether they choose to respond or not. I also can't help how you perceive things Jay. If I understand what you mean and more importantly, I am INTERESTED in the topic I will take the time to post.

My English is far from perfect too ya know, especially when I get pissed off(which happens a lot). People will always criticize others, but ya gotta let it roll off of you like water off a duck's back(an idiom for ya). Nobody here deliberately teases you. I think we have a more civil tone here than on Vancouver Forum.

Anonymous

If I didn't trust u, I would be totally fine to handle your criticisms for sure. I don't mind taking unpleasant but honest advices from anybody I don't care about. but once I feel free to express myself somewhere, I become sensitive at any of criticisms. thus, don't think that I'm not tough enough to take your criticisms

I am sorry, but every forum has people that criticize. I get criticized too. This one is not as bad as the churlishness of VF though.

jaysings

People might not tell you they don't understand for a variety of reasons. That is their business whether they choose to respond or not. I also can't help how you perceive things Jay. If I understand what you mean and more importantly, I am INTERESTED in the topic I will take the time to post.

My English is far from perfect too ya know, especially when I get pissed off(which happens a lot). People will always criticize others, but ya gotta let it roll off of you like water off a duck's back(an idiom for ya). Nobody here deliberately teases you. I think we have a more civil tone here than on Vancouver Forum.

why didn't u point out my mistakes at times instead of telling me the truth? I knew it, and I'm not in a status of self-deception. your criticisms only work effectively on people who don't admit their faults. do u understand what different is between both?

jaysings

If I didn't trust u, I would be totally fine to handle your criticisms for sure. I don't mind taking unpleasant but honest advices from anybody I don't care about. but once I feel free to express myself somewhere, I become sensitive at any of criticisms. thus, don't think that I'm not tough enough to take your criticisms

I am sorry, but every forum has people that criticize. I get criticized too. This one is not as bad as the churlishness of VF though.

u was suffering a lot from those jerks on VF doesn't mean u should be a jerk like them. while your influence is minor than their, u are still no different from them. u shouldn't treat people the way u don't wanna be treated

Anonymous

why didn't u point out my mistakes at times instead of telling me the truth? I knew it, and I'm not in a status of self-deception. your criticisms only work effectively on people who don't admit their faults. do u understand what different is between both?

Jay, I'm an engineer not an ESL teacher. As I told you if the topic is interesting to me, I will respond. If I don't understand a post in an interesting topic, I will request clarification. Srsly, I don't know what you are getting so defensive about?

Anonymous

Jaysings, do you think maybe you are too sensitive? I don't see anyone picking on you? You asked a question about English and they could not give you a satisfactory answer. My suggestion is to just let it go. Maybe I should follow my own advice and just let this thread slide down the page.

jaysings

Jay, I'm an engineer not an ESL teacher. As I told you if the topic is interesting to me, I will respond. If I don't understand a post in an interesting topic, I will request clarification. Srsly, I don't know what you are getting so defensive about?

when did u not understand my posts? u hadn't mentioned about it until ur criticism popped up to me. I don't understand why u said that any first year high school student in Shanghai has English better than mine. if my English is as worst as your saying, it was supposed to be illegible to u. I'm wondering why u were able to respond my comments

jaysings

Quote from: "seoulbro"

Jaysings, do you think maybe you are too sensitive? I don't see anyone picking on you? You asked a question about English and they could not give you a satisfactory answer. My suggestion is to just let it go. Maybe I should follow my own advice and just let this thread slide down the page.

QuoteRU fucking serious??? How the fuck is that even possible? My parents have strong accents, but fuck they are like Shakespeare compared to you. Dude, any first year high school student in Shanghai that has never been outside China can speak better English than you.

What about your parents, are they fluent yet in English? If so, why aren't they pushing you to do what you should have done a decade ago?

I'm arguing about this. my question doesn't matter me anymore

Anonymous

Quote from: "jaysings"when did u not understand my posts? u hadn't mentioned about it until ur criticism popped up to me. I don't understand why u said that any first year high school student in Shanghai has English better than mine. if my English is as worst as your saying, it was supposed to be illegible to u. I'm wondering why u were able to respond my comments

Jay, can we just drop it please? You started this thread looking for an expression in English. You didn't get what you were after, so can we move on? No need to...http://fineartbymary.com/smilies/horse2.gif">

jaysings

Quote from: "jaysings"when did u not understand my posts? u hadn't mentioned about it until ur criticism popped up to me. I don't understand why u said that any first year high school student in Shanghai has English better than mine. if my English is as worst as your saying, it was supposed to be illegible to u. I'm wondering why u were able to respond my comments

Jay, can we just drop it please? You started this thread looking for an expression in English. You didn't get what you were after, so can we move on? No need to...http://fineartbymary.com/smilies/horse2.gif">

tell me if what I wrote sounds weird in my comments