Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Yup. For that reason alone ^ they HAVE to get it done

And they will .. even if by electronics
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

By Hugh Hewitt

Watch out for desperate hits by Democrats on Amy Barrett

I expect Democrats to launch torpedoes at ACB, as Barrett is already being called, from two directions. After joining University of Notre Dame Law School faculty in 2002 and eventually gaining tenure, Barrett would have had a vote on every other candidate for tenure. Expect Senate Democrats to find a disappointed tenure-seeker who blames Barrett and is willing to testify against her.

Similarly, Barrett served for many years on the law school's Appointments Committee, and for a couple of years as its chair. No doubt, Democrats are scouring academia for anyone who failed to land a job teaching at ND Law and bears a grudge against Barrett.

I'm familiar with the workings of appointments and tenure committees from a quarter-century on the faculty of Chapman University's Fowler School of Law (I am on leave this academic year). Committee members try to be diligent and fair with every applicant for hiring or promotion. But these undertakings are not for the faint of heart. You disappoint vastly more people than you are able to please.

As a professor, Barrett will also almost certainly have had student evaluations filed every semester. Even for the best teachers, these evaluations, as with all large-enough samples, fall into a bell curve. Always. There is 10 percent of every class that most adores your style of teaching and a 10 percent that finds it least appealing or even loathes it. Expect to hear from some of Barrett's former students over the past 18 years who fell in the latter category. The former student with the deepest grievance has probably already contacted Senate Democrats.

Whether the Judiciary Committee hears that student — or the disappointed tenure-seeker, or the frustrated job applicant - is not inevitable. Graham needs to be fair, but he need not be a sucker for the sort of tactics that smeared Kavanaugh and Thomas with late-arriving allegations.

An open and fair process — with a beginning, an end and a vote — is what's needed. The same for the debate that will follow on the Senate floor. That final vote should occur before the Nov. 3 election. (As a practical matter, GOP Senate candidates risk getting wiped out if there is no vote before the election. Their base will stay home in disgust.)

I hope this possibly pessimistic preview of how Senate Democrats on the Judiciary Committee will behave turns out to be wrong. I hope senators and witnesses stay on the law and within the schedule. I hope Barrett adheres to the famed "Ginsburg rule," established during Ruth Bader Ginsburg's 1993 confirmation hearings.

As former U.S. attorney general Edwin Meese wrote in a 2005 essay about the "Ginsburg rule," the ground rules devised by the Judiciary Committee's then-chairman, Joe Biden, D-Del., "stipulated that she had no obligation to answer questions about her personal views or on issues that might come before the Court."

That approach has since served other nominees, and the court, and the country, and it should serve again. Graham ought to see to it.

Anonymous

Voters Increasingly Support Amy Coney Barrett For Supreme Court, Poll Shows

https://dailycaller.com/2020/10/07/poll-voters-support-amy-coney-barrett/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=h_xzqepABleNPpql71Cu8HdYS6cf6MbwnCBoS01M">https://dailycaller.com/2020/10/07/poll ... bwnCBoS01M">https://dailycaller.com/2020/10/07/poll-voters-support-amy-coney-barrett/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=h_xzqepABleNPpql71Cu8HdYS6cf6MbwnCBoS01M

Almost half, 46%, of voters polled by Morning Consult/Politico between Oct. 2 – 4 said that the Senate should confirm Barrett, the poll found. These numbers were up 9 percentage points since Trump first announced he was nominating Barrett on Sept. 26, according to the poll.

The percentage of Republican voters who back Barrett's confirmation rose six points from the previous month to 77%, the poll found, and the number of independent voters who said Barrett should be confirmed rose by eight percentage points to 36%.

The number of Democratic voters who agree Barrett should be confirmed rose by 10 percentage points to 24%, the poll found.

Anonymous

The confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett began this morning.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview