The best topic

Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Finally,sigh - UK has 'taken back control' after securing Freedom from the EU Cartel

Started by cc, December 24, 2020, 04:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

https://www.foxnews.com/world/boris-johnson-post-brexit-trade-deal-eu">U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson declared victory in the four-year battle for Brexit on Thursday, saying that the U.K. had "taken back control" after negotiators secured a post-Brexit free trade deal with the E.U. -- just days before it was due to finalize its departure from the bloc.

"It achieves something that the people of this country instinctively knew was doable but they were told was impossible -- we've taken back control of our laws and our destiny, we've taken back control of every jot and tittle of our regulation in a way that is complete and unfettered," he said at a news conference in London.

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2020/12/1862/1048/AP20359596111967.jpg?ve=1&tl=1">

Johnson announced the free trade deal after days of frantic negotiations ahead of the Jan.1 deadline. The details will be scrutinized in the coming days by E.U. nation leaders as well as the European and British parliaments -- with the British chambers scheduled to vote on the deal on Dec. 30.

Britain voted to leave the E.U. in 2016 in what was the first seismic populist event of 2016 -- to be followed months later by the election in the U.S. of President Trump -- but the country has struggled to enact the mandate amid legal challenges, political upheavals, political resistance and diplomatic brick walls.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=395278 time=1608845776 user_id=88
https://server1.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/sbgpzkcu/snop/p2/world/boris-johnson-post-brexit-trade-deal-eu">U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson declared victory in the four-year battle for Brexit on Thursday, saying that the U.K. had "taken back control" after negotiators secured a post-Brexit free trade deal with the E.U. -- just days before it was due to finalize its departure from the bloc.

"It achieves something that the people of this country instinctively knew was doable but they were told was impossible -- we've taken back control of our laws and our destiny, we've taken back control of every jot and tittle of our regulation in a way that is complete and unfettered," he said at a news conference in London.

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2020/12/1862/1048/AP20359596111967.jpg?ve=1&tl=1">

Johnson announced the free trade deal after days of frantic negotiations ahead of the Jan.1 deadline. The details will be scrutinized in the coming days by E.U. nation leaders as well as the European and British parliaments -- with the British chambers scheduled to vote on the deal on Dec. 30.

Britain voted to leave the E.U. in 2016 in what was the first seismic populist event of 2016 -- to be followed months later by the election in the U.S. of President Trump -- but the country has struggled to enact the mandate amid legal challenges, political upheavals, political resistance and diplomatic brick walls.

I saw this headline on the news at my mother in law's house..

But, I didn't hear the details.

cc

Apparently a done deal to be ratified by Parliament Dec 30

I'm sure he has the votes lined up for success .. they have secured EU-independent trade deals and regain their own control  & dignity

I'm very happy for Britain to be free to run it's affairs again - They never were a fit with those self-serving control freaks

To me the EU is and always was a vile organization ruled mercilessly  by mainly unelected elites

Boris gets a lot of points for hanging in there when it looked impossible .. Mega  Kudos Boris!!

Gaon

The Russian Rock It

cc

Gaon

Despite Israelis love for Eurovision, the left must accept that Israelis are suspicious of the EU. And the EU is suspicious of Israelis.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

I know one of the main points of contention was the border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic. I assume they reached an agreement the Emerald Isle can accept.

cc

Not sure about Ireland wrinkle. Will keep an eye for it

I'm very partial for Britain. Wanted to see them free from the EU and a country again

They had it made with T in. Maybe he will consolidate some trade deals while he still can. He & Boris really liked each other

Anonymous

cc

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55443780">UPDATE from BBC

EU ambassadors are to receive a Christmas Day briefing on the post-Brexit trade deal reached with the UK.

EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier will update the diplomats on the agreement, reached after months of fraught talks on fishing rights and business rules.

The UK is set to exit EU trading rules on 31 December - a year after officially leaving the 27-nation bloc.

MPs are still waiting to see the full text of the free trade deal ahead of a vote in Parliament on 30 December.

Labour said it was a "thin agreement" but they would back it as the only alternative to a no deal, meaning it should win approval.

The European Parliament also needs to ratify the deal but is is unlikely to do so until the new year, meaning its application will formally be provisional until then.

The UK's chief trade negotiator Lord Frost, said the deal document, which is made up of about 1,500 pages - including approximately 1,000 pages of annexes and footnotes - would be published soon.

In a Christmas video message, posted on Twitter on Thursday evening, Prime Minister Boris Johnson held a draft copy of the document aloft.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/9FA0/production/_116246804_mediaitem116246803.jpg">

He said: "Tonight, on Christmas Eve, I have a small present for anyone who may be looking for something to read in that sleepy post-Christmas lunch moment, and here it is, tidings, glad tidings of great joy because this is a deal.

"A deal to give certainty to business, travellers, and all investors in our country from January 1. A deal with our friends and partners in the EU."

The basics

- A Brexit deal has been agreed, days before a deadline. It means that the UK and the EU can continue to trade without extra taxes being put on goods - but we don't know all the details yet.

- What took so long? The UK voted to leave the EU in 2016 and actually left on 31 January 2020, but leaders had until the end of 2020 to work out a trade deal.

- There are big changes ahead. Although it's a trade deal that has been agreed, there will also be changes to how people travel between the EU and UK, and to the way they live and work.

Earlier, at a Downing Street press conference soon after the deal was announced, Mr Johnson said: "We have taken back control of our laws and our destiny," but stressed the UK "will remain culturally, emotionally, historically, strategically and geologically attached to Europe".

In a press conference in Brussels, European Commission President, Ursula von der Leyen said the deal was "fair" and "balanced" and it was now "time to turn the page and look to the future". The UK "remains a trusted partner," she added.

Anonymous

Britain gets control over it's own borders. Brussels can no longer dictate London's immigration policies. :thumbup: