The best topic

Replies: 8416
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:46:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

What They Don’t Tell You About Electric Vehicles

Started by Anonymous, December 27, 2020, 02:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

caskur

You are going to have to fix this crap with the posts being struck  out.

I am now going to be living in a state of permanent terror. The new home owners next door have an electric car. This means at any time their could be an explosion and fire and their garage is built right on our fence line. If their garage catches fire it'll hit us as well.

I don't know what to do. I have seen news segments on batteries setting houses on fire.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Frood

Quote from: caskur on August 05, 2023, 05:57:13 PM
You are going to have to fix this crap with the posts being struck put.

I am now going to be living in a state of permanent terror. The new home owners next door have an electric car. This means at any time their could be an explosion and fire and their garage is built right on our fence line. If their garage catches fire it'll hit us as well.

I don't know what to do. I have seen news segments on batteries setting houses on fire.

Don't bother with the garden hose...

Water has no effect on lithium battery fires.

You've got to starve the oxygen out differently.

Ask the Florida fire crews after the last major hurricane and all the salt water affected EV's spontaneously erupting in flames.
Blahhhhhh...

DKG

I am glad my building does not have charging stations.

Oerdin

The corroded batteries from saltwater submersion blowing up is very real.  Laws absolutely need to be changed so that flood damaged electric cars can never be returned to the road for any reason.

DKG

Quote from: Oerdin on August 06, 2023, 03:27:34 PM
The corroded batteries from saltwater submersion blowing up is very real.  Laws absolutely need to be changed so that flood damaged electric cars can never be returned to the road for any reason.
Electric cars just became a lot less sustainable.

Oliver the Second

Elon's Ticking Time Bombs: Hurricane Hilary Flooding Could Spark Tesla Fires Across California

Hurricane Hilary, which has created the heaviest rain fall in Southern California in 84 years, leading to severe flooding, could end up sparking Tesla battery fires across the region.

Last year, electric vehicles (EVs) caught on fire in Florida after becoming waterlogged during Hurricane Ian, giving firefighters a new challenge that they hadn't faced before. Fire officials explained that seawater from the storm surge reacted with the EVs' batteries, sparking the flames.

And California has far more EVs than any other state — an excess of 900,000 compared with just 168,000 in Florida, with more than a third of them estimated to be produced by Tesla.

Greg Brannon, director of automotive engineering research at the American Automobile Association (AAA), told the magazine, "The fact that it's saltwater or freshwater makes some difference, but not all the difference — the truth is any water is problematic and can cause shorting and damage to EV batteries."

When an EV catches fire, it is much more difficult and time consuming to put out, given that the components of an EV battery permit the blaze to create its own heat and oxygen.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2023/08/23/elons-ticking-time-bombs-hurricane-hilary-flooding-could-spark-tesla-fires-across-california/

caskur

"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

DKG

The insurance industry organization, Équité Association, recently released its list of the 10 most stolen vehicles in Canada. In the country as a whole, the most stolen vehicle is the Honda CR-V, followed by the Lexus RX, followed by an assortment of sedans, SUVs and pickups.

What all the stolen goods have in common in every province is that they are internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles. There's not an EV (electric vehicle) in the bunch. Not even a hybrid makes Equite's list.

One of the largest auto dealers in the country's customers just don't want EVs, so he has taken to parking his unsold electric pickups around the boundaries of his lot to discourage thieves from going after the catalytic converters in the ICEs parked in the middle.

The story is the same in the UK, Australia, the U.S. and elsewhere. Consumer enthusiasm for EVs seems to be waning. No one can say whether this is a short- or long-term pause. It could be, though, that rich consumers who can afford an EV as a second or third vehicle for puttering around town, may have bought as many EVs as they want. Now carmakers are finding it hard to attract middle-class buyers.

Here's another little barrier to keep in mind about having the electrical panel in homes upgraded to handle a fast charger. Far from the $800 to $1,200 the federal Liberals claim it will cost homeowners, are bei9ng quoted $17,000.

DKG

Sometimes, you have to wonder if Democrats in Congress live on the same planet as the rest of the world. It's like they live in an alternate universe run on wishes and fairy dust. Their insane policies on crime already have made California a living hellhole, where thieves can walk into stores in broad daylight, steal and walk out without any fear of repercussion.

Add to that their ideas about saving the world by taking away your gas stoves and pizza ovens.

But if that wasn't enough, on Thursday, 190 House Democrats voted against the "Preserving Choice in Vehicle Purchases Act," a bill that would bar states from limiting the sale of gas-powered cars as part of efforts to combat climate change. Although the legislation did not specifically mention California, it was aimed at the Golden State's request for a waiver to ban the sale of new gas-powered cars by 2035, which was also supported by 17 other states that had adopted similar stringent vehicle standards, The Hill reported.

caskur

Quote from: DKG on September 13, 2023, 01:54:17 PMThe insurance industry organization, Équité Association, recently released its list of the 10 most stolen vehicles in Canada. In the country as a whole, the most stolen vehicle is the Honda CR-V, followed by the Lexus RX, followed by an assortment of sedans, SUVs and pickups.

What all the stolen goods have in common in every province is that they are internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles. There's not an EV (electric vehicle) in the bunch. Not even a hybrid makes Equite's list.

One of the largest auto dealers in the country's customers just don't want EVs, so he has taken to parking his unsold electric pickups around the boundaries of his lot to discourage thieves from going after the catalytic converters in the ICEs parked in the middle.

The story is the same in the UK, Australia, the U.S. and elsewhere. Consumer enthusiasm for EVs seems to be waning. No one can say whether this is a short- or long-term pause. It could be, though, that rich consumers who can afford an EV as a second or third vehicle for puttering around town, may have bought as many EVs as they want. Now carmakers are finding it hard to attract middle-class buyers.

Here's another little barrier to keep in mind about having the electrical panel in homes upgraded to handle a fast charger. Far from the $800 to $1,200 the federal Liberals claim it will cost homeowners, are bei9ng quoted $17,000.

Nobody wants EV because replacing the battery is upto $12,000 AND the bloody things burst into flame.

They're shit and now the news about them has spread.
- Andy Warhol

DKG

Quote from: caskur on September 26, 2023, 02:07:51 AMNobody wants EV because replacing the battery is upto $12,000 AND the bloody things burst into flame.

They're shit and now the news about them has spread.
The batteries cost more than that here. It can cost a homeowner $17,000 to make a house fast charge ready.