The best topic

Replies: 10380
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:23:38 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Fort McMurray

Started by Vancouver, January 04, 2014, 08:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

keeper

I wish i was able to drive around more, We were shuttled on a bus to Syncrude then back to the hotel. I had the option to stay in an ATCO Trailer lol, ya , right. Camp food was not an option

keeper

Senior Procurement for a company here and in Arizona, Hoping to train someone there this year.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"I wish i was able to drive around more, We were shuttled on a bus to Syncrude then back to the hotel. I had the option to stay in an ATCO Trailer lol, ya , right. Camp food was not an option

The Lakeside meat packing plant down in Brooks has a bunch of Atco trailers for all their African and Mexican workers.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"Senior Procurement for a company here and in Arizona, Hoping to train someone there this year.

Ah purchasing eh? Do you have your SCMP designation? My Auntie in Singapore is a senior purchaser for a major oilfield service contractor.

keeper

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Keeper"Senior Procurement for a company here and in Arizona, Hoping to train someone there this year.

Ah purchasing eh? Do you have your SCMP designation? My Auntie in Singapore is a senior purchaser for a major oilfield service contractor.

Nope, thought about it, but haven't gave it much thought with this new company im at. Long story.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"

Nope, thought about it, but haven't gave it much thought with this new company im at. Long story.

How does one go from drywall and mudding to purchasing? Doesn't seem like a natural progression.

keeper

How does one go from drywall and mudding to purchasing? Doesn't seem like a natural progression.

Where did i say i was dry walling or mudding? My work history has always been in the oil filed from the age of 22,although i have done my share of slinging board and mud on weekends to make ends meet when i was in prison errr i mean married.

Anonymous

Where did i say i was dry walling or mudding? My work history has always been in the oil filed from the age of 22,although i have done my share of slinging board and mud on weekends to make ends meet when i was in prison errr i mean married.

Oops, it was your best friend and brother you were talking about Keeps.
QuoteMy best friend and my brother stayed in a camp ground for 3 months working there, $150.00 a month for the lot and they made there own food. 12 hour days slinging mud and drywall

Anyway, that's a good progression from the field to a purchasing. That's what makes the industry so awesome are the opportunities for career growth that few other industries can provide.

keeper

When i first started out it was really easy to get in, Had to belong to a union though and that was my first experience with Unions, I have good and bad to sat about them, Back in the day we had to fill out cards for UI and if you went to the Union Hall and got it stamped with you number UI took about 2 weeks less to get the ball rolling so there was plus points for them, now (shrug) i stopped paying my dues. Im salary, i can come and go as i please. 23 years in the business... yikes im old

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"When i first started out it was really easy to get in, Had to belong to a union though and that was my first experience with Unions, I have good and bad to sat about them, Back in the day we had to fill out cards for UI and if you went to the Union Hall and got it stamped with you number UI took about 2 weeks less to get the ball rolling so there was plus points for them, now (shrug) i stopped paying my dues. Im salary, i can come and go as i please. 23 years in the business... yikes im old

My husband was in the IBEW for a while Keeper..

He liked it, but he has been with a non-unionized very specialized oilfield services company for most of his working life now..

The job has taken him all over the world and now he is in management.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"My husband was in the IBEW for a while Keeper..

He liked it, but he has been with a non-unionized very specialized oilfield services company for most of his working life now..

The job has taken him all over the world and now he is in management.

VG is an electrical apprentice working at Mickey D's?? I have no idea what year he is in, but I know he would be better off in the trades than a Mcjob. Weebles made the move and is glad he did. VG should be doing the same and soon.

Odinson

Electrician has 3years in school and 2 years experience as an apprentice. Or was it 1year... Cant remember.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"Electrician has 3years in school and 2 years experience as an apprentice. Or was it 1year... Cant remember.

A red seal electrician in Canada takes 4 years as an apprentice with 8 weeks in school each year..

My husband has a master electrician designation which can be achieved after so many years as a journeyman electrician.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Odinson"Electrician has 3years in school and 2 years experience as an apprentice. Or was it 1year... Cant remember.

A red seal electrician in Canada takes 4 years as an apprentice with 8 weeks in school each year..

My husband has a master electrician designation which can be achieved after so many years as a journeyman electrician.

VG should be looking into opportunities in his trade ASAP. An electrical apprentice working at Mickey D's is such a fucking waste.

Odinson

Early apprentice is kinda like meltsie to his EX. 70kg necklace...