The best topic

Replies: 10378
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 05:35:39 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Fort McMurray

Started by Vancouver, January 04, 2014, 08:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Vancouver

What are some well paid easy to get jobs there? Is it a small town?
Time is malleable

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"What are some well paid easy to get jobs there? Is it a small town?

It is the largest(population) resource boom town in Canada. Has a large hospital, airport, malls and some government offices. Check out this link to give you an idea of what is available.

http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/welcome.aspx">http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/welcome.aspx

I asked you once before and I will ask you again, what do you do for a living other than your Mickey D's job? I can offer better advice if I know what you do.

Odinson

Construction jobs pay well.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"Construction jobs pay well.

Oh fuck yeah, especially industrial jobs.

Odinson

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Odinson"Construction jobs pay well.

Oh fuck yeah, especially industrial jobs.

My pay will boost up next month. Theres alot of benefits.

keeper

Stayed there 2 weeks training and it was SO EXPENSIVE, you better have a well paying job because renting there is ridicules.

The place is infested. The bugs will carry you away, the black fly's and horse fly's are scary

keeper

To get on any well paid job there you have to belong to a Trade or work in the industry, they don't just hire anyone, being part of the union doesn't hurt either, they can put you on the board and when a job becomes available you get the call to come to work, well, that's how it was when i was slinging tools. (fixes hair) im a suit now.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"Stayed there 2 weeks training and it was SO EXPENSIVE, you better have a well paying job because renting there is ridicules.

The place is infested. The bugs will carry you away, the black fly's and horse fly's are scary

In the 2.5 weeks of summer the North gets. Actually most of the North has that problem with bugs. Fucking huge insects.

Just so you know Keeps, the vacancy rate in Fort Mac is not quite as severe as a few years ago. In fact Edmonton may even be worse right now. I was in Sobey's and I checked an ad for renting a three bdrm, 1.5 bath townhouse and it was $1650/month + all utilities. That's expensive.

Vancouver

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"What are some well paid easy to get jobs there? Is it a small town?

It is the largest(population) resource boom town in Canada. Has a large hospital, airport, malls and some government offices. Check out this link to give you an idea of what is available.

http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/welcome.aspx">http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/welcome.aspx

I asked you once before and I will ask you again, what do you do for a living other than your Mickey D's job? I can offer better advice if I know what you do.
thank you for the info Shen Li. To tell you the truth I only work part time at mcdonalds now. I don't really want to leave. Don't really like my job but the people there really became like family. Made friends and all the managers are so nice. I'm on the list as one of the key crew members as I do my job really well. I am thinking about giving that electrician thing another shot. Perhaps I can leave McDonalds for a few months and see. Really.
Time is malleable

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"To get on any well paid job there you have to belong to a Trade or work in the industry, they don't just hire anyone, being part of the union doesn't hurt either, they can put you on the board and when a job becomes available you get the call to come to work, well, that's how it was when i was slinging tools. (fixes hair) im a suit now.

Yep, the best way to get a job there is to have a trade, be an apprentice and belong to a union. Fly in/fly out and camp accomodations on a steady rotation. It is different than other oil and gas towns as there are fewer unskilled labour positions.

keeper

My best friend and my brother stayed in a camp ground for 3 months working there, $150.00 a month for the lot and they made there own food. 12 hour days slinging mud and drywall. My brother was able to pay off his house and buy a RV. he did very well. You just need to plan ahead and be willing to sacrifice a little.

myself, I wouldn't want to stay there again, 2 weeks was enough. the place is fill with Drunk truck drivers and ummm (whispers) whore.

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"thank you for the info Shen Li. To tell you the truth I only work part time at mcdonalds now. I don't really want to leave. Don't really like my job but the people there really became like family. Made friends and all the managers are so nice. I'm on the list as one of the key crew member as I do my job really well. I am thinking about giving that electrician thing another shot. Perhaps I can leave McDonalds for a few months and see.

VG, don't take this the wrong way, but are you nuts?? You are almost as old as me and you want to stay working in a kid's job while living with mommy and daddy? Don't you want to grow up and be a man? Don't you want a friggin gf?

You listen to me young man, you get your ass back into your electrical trade right fucking now. As soon as you do, you then drop that dead-end fast food job. You are single, so you free as a bird to fly to where ever the work may take you. If you fail to follow Auntie Shen Li's sage advice then you leave me no alternative than me flying to the left coast and smacking some sense into ya. Now get your ass in gear and that's an order. ;)

Vancouver

Quote from: "Keeper"My best friend and my brother stayed in a camp ground for 3 months working there, $150.00 a month for the lot and they made there own food. 12 hour days slinging mud and drywall. My brother was able to pay off his house and buy a RV. he did very well. You just need to plan ahead and be willing to sacrifice a little.

myself, I wouldn't want to stay there again, 2 weeks was enough. the place is fill with Drunk truck drivers and ummm (whispers) whore.
sounds like a scary place for the rednecks.
Time is malleable

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"My best friend and my brother stayed in a camp ground for 3 months working there, $150.00 a month for the lot and they made there own food. 12 hour days slinging mud and drywall. My brother was able to pay off his house and buy a RV. he did very well. You just need to plan ahead and be willing to sacrifice a little.

Open camps are what you are talking about Keeps. A bit more rental available now though.

Drywalling is a tough way to earn a buck anywhere though. What do you do now for a living now Keeps?

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"

sounds like a scary place for the rednecks.

No, it's actually a very multi-racial place and even has a mosque. The smaller resource cities like FSJ or High Level are far more redneckish.