Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

More mayhem from the Madlands

Started by Bricktop, December 01, 2021, 05:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frood

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=454261 time=1653907840 user_id=114
Quote from: Bricktop post_id=454229 time=1653881818 user_id=1560
Quote from: Thiel post_id=454187 time=1653875587 user_id=1688
I share Bricktop's hatred of guns. I wish they didn't exist. I wish lethal violence didn't exist. But, I have a problem with taking away legal firearms.

There I said it. I don't have much else to say on the matter of guns. Change it to freedom and I will never shut me up.

As I've repeated many times, there is no such thing as a legal firearm. Or on illegal firearm, other than those totally banned by law.

The legality of a firearm, with the exception of the banned types, is contingent upon the person in possession of that firearm.

EVERY firearm in the US must have started its journey in the hands of a person who had a legal right to possess and carry, other than the very few stolen before being sold by a licenced dealer.

So where did the villains get their firearms from???

Thiel is talking about making current legal firearms illegal. I know that will not work the way it is intended to. Law abiding citizens sell theirs back, criminals keep theirs, legal or not.

Welcome to Australia...
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=453389 time=1653635418 user_id=1560
Whilst there is ample evidence for me to characterise you as a fucking idiot, there's no evidence to categorise me as either courageous or craven.

Now fuck off out of my thread if you haven't got anything constructive to offer.

Has Dianna ever had anything constructive to offer.

Bricktop

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=454258 time=1653906854 user_id=3254

We can make an army weapon illegal for civilian use(if they aren't already), but they will find their way into a few hands that shouldn't have them,

How do these weapons "find their way"?

The maths is simple. Fewer "legal" owners will result in fewer "illegal" owners.

If 95% of guns in the possession of improper owners originated from the hands of authorised owners, then two things are clear; many authorised owners are incapable of responsibily securing their firearms, and if gun sales are heavily restricted fewer would find their hands into unauthorised hands.

Ask yourself this; if heroin was legally sold in supermarkets and shopfront stores but only to adults, what is the probability that same heroin will end up in the veins of children.

Anonymous

The problem is the US, not guns.

cc

QuoteFewer "legal" owners will result in fewer "illegal" owners.

Funny you say that today. Today, Canada is putting forward legislation re: hand guns and assault style with database of new models kept daily

Details (data as to acquisitions, etc) all day on TV

They have spent most of today giving us what they have found and reasons

All Govt data says "Bottom line, virtually all all hand guns, in fact guns period, get to criminals via foreign sources "

(We have a huge border quite close to most of our population areas)

All long guns not ranked "assault" remain OK, existing & new purchases - Data base for new assault models kept up daily for future

Strange, new purchases of all handguns banned .. but not touching current ones  :confused1:

It may be because handguns have had such requirements that owners are well picked (I know, mel  :001_rolleyes: ) .. still I'm really confused with how they are doing it all the way they are

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=454470 time=1653950322 user_id=56
The problem is the US, not guns.
Ya think "people" ??
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Bricktop

Quote from: cc post_id=454472 time=1653951010 user_id=88
QuoteFewer "legal" owners will result in fewer "illegal" owners.

Funny you say that today. Today, Canada is putting forward legislation re: hand guns and assault style with database of new models kept daily

Details (data as to acquisitions, etc) all day on TV

They have spent most of today giving us what they have found and reasons

All Govt data says "Bottom line, virtually all all hand guns, in fact guns period, get to criminals via foreign sources "

All long guns not ranked "assault" remain OK, existing & new purchases - Data base for new assault models kept up daily for future

Strange, new purchases of all handguns banned .. but not touching current ones  :confused1:

It may be because handguns have had such requirements that owners are well picked (I know, mel  :001_rolleyes: ) .. still I'm really confused with how they are doing it all the way they are

I'm not sure how relevant the source of firearms in Canada is to the madness in the US.

Firstly, "foreign sources" will indisputably mean America. As we've seen in many other examples, America is quite happy to export its madness and toxins to near and distant shores...and Canada is certainly far from distant. Look at Mexico as well. Being the neighbour of a violent gun addicted nation is not ideal. America is still the largest manufacturer of lethal weaponry by far.

I'm wary of comparing simple gun ownership statistics to highlight government failure to protect its citizens.

There are, in my view, two forces at play in the US. The easy availability of firearms of all shapes and sizes, AND the social and cultural attitudes and doctrines of American society. The absurdities we see in America arise from more than one factor. I recently saw an email from the American owner of GAB, the alternative social media platform (I don't recommend it) where he describes his own country as a factory for psychopaths. I think he has, albeit glibly, identified a major contributing factor.

I don't think there is any hope for America. It is addicted not only to guns but the profits they drive.

My point here is that other nations need to learn from America's failures and take measures to prevent them further polluting our countries with their venom. When I look at the statistics, I must admit Canada has no room for complacency on this issue.

Anonymous

CC, it's not the people per se. The people of any country are the result of history and social conditioning.

cc

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=454478 time=1653952690 user_id=56
CC, it's not the people per se. The people of any country are the result of history and social conditioning.

Agreed 100
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=454479 time=1653953054 user_id=88
Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=454478 time=1653952690 user_id=56

Agreed 100

I agree with both of you.

Bricktop

https://www.usnews.com/dims4/USNEWS/cb36b3f/2147483647/resize/1200x%3E/quality/85/?url=http:%2F%2Fmedia.beam.usnews.com%2Fba%2Fd5%2F888b1d334972b3fb3eae2aed5c94%2F20200702edshe-b.jpg">

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=454554 time=1653966997 user_id=1560
https://www.usnews.com/dims4/USNEWS/cb36b3f/2147483647/resize/1200x%3E/quality/85/?url=http:%2F%2Fmedia.beam.usnews.com%2Fba%2Fd5%2F888b1d334972b3fb3eae2aed5c94%2F20200702edshe-b.jpg">

Interesting point Bricktop.

Frood

He has no point. He's not terribly bright, the old boy....
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=454558 time=1653967790 user_id=1676
He has no point. He's not terribly bright, the old boy....

Bricktop is very intelligent and makes his case very well.

Oak

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=454554 time=1653966997 user_id=1560

Precisely.