Re: Forum gossip thread by Aylana

Universities Will Struggle In The Future

Started by Anonymous, January 14, 2022, 09:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=435646 time=1642737988 user_id=1560
Quote from: Odinson post_id=435643 time=1642735862 user_id=136
A lot of people have degrees nowadays.

And yet they cant write a report in proper English... Or in my case, proper Finnish.

I think the information would sink in better if the students were forced to use pen and paper.

There are reports that your average student cant read properly.

And if he/she can read, he/she cant understand what he/she is reading.

I can firmly attest to the fact that the modern graduate borders on the illiterate. They rarely do their own assignments, reports or CV's.

Some of the resumes I received were appalling, clearly indicating which applicants had their CV completed for them and those that did their own.

The problem is do you lean towards those that at least try to do their own, or those that had them professionally prepared and thus present much better.

Either way, whatever it is they teach them in tertiary institutes has no relationship to getting a job in the real world.

Who completes their assignments, reports and CV's?

Frood

Hired people or teachers who give them a passing grade despite their lacklustre efforts....
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=435692 time=1642796337 user_id=3254

What Freud said.

Hiring past students to do assignments has been around since I went to University. I did IT, and one assignment was to create a computer program based on provided parameters. Most of the people in my class asked friends to do it for them.

During an exam, a person who the staff did not recognise was asked to identify himself. He gave the name of another student, but it was clearly not him. He had been hired to sit the exam on behalf of the absent student.

Professional CV writers are common. Generally, they provide a professional and well written resume. But these resumes are very easy to recognise, because you'll see ten identically formatted documents in the stack of applications you receive.

A well written resume by the applicant themselves will, all other things being roughly equal, move ahead of the queue in front of those who hired someone to do it for them. If you cannot write your own resume, your communication expertise must be poor.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=435693 time=1642796443 user_id=1676
Hired people or teachers who give them a passing grade despite their lacklustre efforts....

All you need is money to graduate from university these days? Hell, old Herman should head back to school, with a bag full of bribe money of course.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=435704 time=1642802675 user_id=1560

What Freud said.

Hiring past students to do assignments has been around since I went to University. I did IT, and one assignment was to create a computer program based on provided parameters. Most of the people in my class asked friends to do it for them.

During an exam, a person who the staff did not recognise was asked to identify himself. He gave the name of another student, but it was clearly not him. He had been hired to sit the exam on behalf of the absent student.

Professional CV writers are common. Generally, they provide a professional and well written resume. But these resumes are very easy to recognise, because you'll see ten identically formatted documents in the stack of applications you receive.

A well written resume by the applicant themselves will, all other things being roughly equal, move ahead of the queue in front of those who hired someone to do it for them. If you cannot write your own resume, your communication expertise must be poor.

When I eventually attend unversity, all assignments will be my own work.

Bricktop

Regardless of your intellectual capacity...I am confident in predicting that you will be expelled within a week for slapping all the woke idiots preaching CRT at BLM at you. Even in Canada.

Bricktop

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=435724 time=1642807747 user_id=3254

Unlikely, as some assignments are often allocated to pairs or groups.

Anonymous

What Freud said.

I would not have to do that because old Herman has lots of cash. :001_tongue:

Bricktop

Er, Herman...let's talk.

What will you study? Gender Studies? LBGTQ Rights? Climate change?

I can do assignments on those.

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=435729 time=1642808153 user_id=1689

What Freud said.

I would not have to do that because old Herman has lots of cash. :001_tongue:

What's the point of that Herman?

I want to learn......I wouldn't attend university just to get a piece of paper to hang on the wall.

Bricktop

Yet that is what many thousands of "students" do.

It beats working for a living.

They are called "professional students" because for as long as they "study" they get benefits.

In Australia, students fee repayments through taxation don't kick in until their salary goes over a certain amount. No salary, no repayment, no debt.

This is particularly appealing to females doing hobby degrees, because sooner or later they will marry and never earn a separate income.

Anonymous

This is an example of how out of touch university students(faculty too) are with the working classes.
The University of Pennsylvania's prestigious Wharton business school started trending on Twitter Thursday, but not because of its academic prowess or comments from a famous alum like former President Donald Trump.

Rather, the school caught the attention of users online after a professor posted about a social experiment she conducted in class that inadvertently showcased just how clueless her students are about middle-class American life.

Nina Strohminger, a professor of legal studies and business ethics at the school, said in a tweet Thursday, "I asked Wharton students what they thought the average American worker makes per year and 25% of them thought it was over six figures. One of them thought it was $800k."

https://www.theblaze.com/news/wharton-students-guess-average-american-salary?utm_source=theblaze-dailyPM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily-Newsletter__PM%202022-01-21&utm_term=ACTIVE%20LIST%20-%20TheBlaze%20Daily%20PM">https://www.theblaze.com/news/wharton-s ... Daily%20PM">https://www.theblaze.com/news/wharton-students-guess-average-american-salary?utm_source=theblaze-dailyPM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily-Newsletter__PM%202022-01-21&utm_term=ACTIVE%20LIST%20-%20TheBlaze%20Daily%20PM

https://twitter.com/NinaStrohminger/status/1483992827482804224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1483992827482804224%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblaze.com%2Fnews%2Fwharton-students-guess-average-american-salary">https://twitter.com/NinaStrohminger/sta ... can-salary">https://twitter.com/NinaStrohminger/status/1483992827482804224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1483992827482804224%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblaze.com%2Fnews%2Fwharton-students-guess-average-american-salary

cc

There is a very hard reality check coming in their  future
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=435755 time=1642816469 user_id=88
There is a very hard reality check coming in their  future

This is a prestigious school. Where did they get these idiot students.

Bricktop