Replies: 7557
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:39:50 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Can a Canadian answer me this?

Started by Breakfall, May 13, 2022, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breakfall

As a general foreigner, I find the Canadian accent to be very similar to the general American accent; not NewYorker or Souther drawl for instance. ac_biggrin

So when I say to a Canadian: "Where a bouts do you come from in America?"...they look at me as if I'm an imbecile and say: "I'm not American...I'm Canadian!". And inferably that's the end of discussion? Lol...it's as if I've committed a cardinal sin! It's a very scornful look too.

So what's the deal?  :thumbup:

Anonymous

Quote from: Bonkerfist post_id=449967 time=1652451349 user_id=3358
As a general foreigner, I find the Canadian accent to be very similar to the general American accent; not NewYorker or Souther drawl for instance. ac_biggrin

So when I say to a Canadian: "Where a bouts do you come from in America?"...they look at me as if I'm an imbecile and say: "I'm not American...I'm Canadian!". And inferably that's the end of discussion? Lol...it's as if I've committed a cardinal sin! It's a very scornful look too.

If someone gets pissed off because of an honest mistake like that they are Karens.

Anonymous

In the gay bars in England, some sexy gay British men think I am American. I don't like it, but I will still be a bottom for them if they are handsome.

Breakfall

Quote from: JOE. post_id=449978 time=1652466608
In the gay bars in England, some sexy gay British men think I am American. I don't like it, but I will still be a bottom for them if they are handsome.

Lol...what the hell has gotten into Joe...and don't say pineapple!?  :roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: Bonkerfist post_id=450003 time=1652487434 user_id=3358
Quote from: JOE. post_id=449978 time=1652466608

Lol...what the hell has gotten into Joe...and don't say pineapple!?  :roll:

bananas

Anonymous

I lived and worked all over the world for over twenty five years. It never bothered me if folks thought I was a US citizen.

Breakfall

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=449972 time=1652456737 user_id=2015

If someone gets pissed off because of an honest mistake like that they are Karens.

It's happened from as young as I can remember. Time and time again. Is the anti-American sentiment that strong?

As a South African expat with a slight Aussie accent, I often get mistaken for a New Zealander. The common denominator is that we both use the Queen's english and pronounce our vowels properly. But I don't go out my way and take offence.

I sometimes say,"yeah mate I'm a Kiwi...I love me fush n' chups good like."  :thumbup:

Anonymous

Quote from: Bonkerfist post_id=450007 time=1652487909 user_id=3358

It's happened from as young as I can remember. Time and time again. Is the anti-American sentiment that strong?

As a South African expat with a slight Aussie accent, I often get mistaken for a New Zealander. The common denominator is that we both use the Queen's english and pronounce our vowels properly. But I don't go out my way and take offence.

I sometimes say,"yeah mate I'm a Kiwi...I love me fush n' chups good like."  :thumbup:

I can tell the difference between an Aussie and a Kiwi accent.

Breakfall

Quote from: Herman post_id=450006 time=1652487696 user_id=1689

I lived and worked all over the world for over twenty five years. It never bothered me if folks thought I was a US citizen.

I must say I've never mistaken a Canadian for an American (I honestly can't tell the difference in their accents) , but I wonder if an American would also be so indignant?

I guess it's just a bit of rivalry between countries. Lol

Breakfall

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=450010 time=1652488435 user_id=3254

The Kiwi accent is funny as fuck ...admit it?  :laugh3:

Frood

Quote from: Bonkerfist post_id=450011 time=1652488514 user_id=3358
Quote from: Herman post_id=450006 time=1652487696 user_id=1689

I must say I've never mistaken a Canadian for an American (I honestly can't tell the difference in their accents) , but I wonder if an American would also be so indignant?

I guess it's just a bit of rivalry between countries. Lol

There are varying degrees of accentuation. Some are easy to pick, some are not.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: Bonkerfist post_id=450012 time=1652488575 user_id=3358

I wouldn't say funny.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Breakfall

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=450031 time=1652491457 user_id=3254
Quote from: Bonkerfist post_id=450012 time=1652488575 user_id=3358

I wouldn't say funny.

">

:laugh3:

Breakfall

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=450033 time=1652491770 user_id=1676
Some Maori accents are hilarious....

Lol...

">

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview