The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Para olympic games.....

Started by Obvious Li, March 07, 2014, 09:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Romero

Visually impaired 20 km cross-country skiing.

Paralympic athletes are more than worth it! They're an inspiration.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"apparently we won a gold medal in something ??????.........15 million $$ and counting

$15 million? What does that figure represent?

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"apparently we won a gold medal in something ??????.........15 million $$ and counting

a small percentage of what this medal cost the taxpayers.......i think we averaged about 7mm $$ for each gold medal at sochi...if those frogs could stand up on their skates it would have been about 5mm$$...i guess if we spend more next time we can teach them that......just sayin

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Shen Li"

a small percentage of what this medal cost the taxpayers.......i think we averaged about 7mm $$ for each gold medal at sochi...if those frogs could stand up on their skates it would have been about 5mm$$...i guess if we spend more next time we can teach them that......just sayin

I know just about every government does it, but I don't like the idea of taxpayers financing athletes, artists and other people who don't really con tribute much to the overall economy.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Visually impaired 20 km cross-country skiing.

That's wonderful, I am happy for the skier.

:)

Romero

QuoteDominic Larocque never thought he'd walk again, let alone compete at Sochi.

But later this month, he will be doing just that as a member of Team Canada's sledge-hockey team competing at the Paralympic Winter Games.

In 2007, while serving in Afghanistan, Cpl. Larocque's armoured vehicle went over an improvised explosive device. He woke up three days later in the hospital to find his left leg amputated above the knee.

Larocque was in the hospital for months, and after a year in rehabilitation he began participating in sports.

"The reason why I got involved in sports just after my accident is because I have always been an athlete" Larocque said.

It was through a resource called 'Soldier On' that Larocque was introduced to sledge hockey, and he is now looking forward to the Paralympic games.

Founded in '06, Soldier On empowers retired and serving members of the Canadian Forces with an illness or injury to accept their new normal by adopting an active lifestyle through participation in physical, recreational or sporting activities.

"It was easy for me to be part of Team Canada because it's a team atmosphere, and, in the army, the first thing you are taught is to work in a team" Larocque said.

Team Canada head coach Mike Mondin agrees. Mondin says Larocque's years spent with the Canadian forces have made him a great team player.

"He's an Afghanistan vet, so he brings that military training background," Mondin said. "He's so coachable. You talk to him and he carries it out like an order."

Larocque's skills on the ice caught the attention of Team Canada officials during a sledge hockey camp in Ontario. He became one of six newcomers to join the national sledge hockey team, helping Canada to the world title in '13.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/05/afghanistan-vet-leads-sledge-hockey-team-into-paralympics">//http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/05/afghanistan-vet-leads-sledge-hockey-team-into-paralympics

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
QuoteDominic Larocque never thought he'd walk again, let alone compete at Sochi.

But later this month, he will be doing just that as a member of Team Canada's sledge-hockey team competing at the Paralympic Winter Games.

In 2007, while serving in Afghanistan, Cpl. Larocque's armoured vehicle went over an improvised explosive device. He woke up three days later in the hospital to find his left leg amputated above the knee.

Larocque was in the hospital for months, and after a year in rehabilitation he began participating in sports.

"The reason why I got involved in sports just after my accident is because I have always been an athlete" Larocque said.

It was through a resource called 'Soldier On' that Larocque was introduced to sledge hockey, and he is now looking forward to the Paralympic games.

Founded in '06, Soldier On empowers retired and serving members of the Canadian Forces with an illness or injury to accept their new normal by adopting an active lifestyle through participation in physical, recreational or sporting activities.

"It was easy for me to be part of Team Canada because it's a team atmosphere, and, in the army, the first thing you are taught is to work in a team" Larocque said.

Team Canada head coach Mike Mondin agrees. Mondin says Larocque's years spent with the Canadian forces have made him a great team player.

"He's an Afghanistan vet, so he brings that military training background," Mondin said. "He's so coachable. You talk to him and he carries it out like an order."

Larocque's skills on the ice caught the attention of Team Canada officials during a sledge hockey camp in Ontario. He became one of six newcomers to join the national sledge hockey team, helping Canada to the world title in '13.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/05/afghanistan-vet-leads-sledge-hockey-team-into-paralympics">//http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/05/afghanistan-vet-leads-sledge-hockey-team-into-paralympics

Thank you for posting that interesting story Romero..

It's to Cpl Larocque's credit he was able to turn a horrific casualty into something wonderful.

Romero

I was just checking out his stats. 3 goals and 1 assist in two games so far!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero":)

I was just checking out his stats. 3 goals and 1 assist in two games so far!

Oh that is good news..

I have watched some skiing events, but if get the chance I will watch other events too.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"

if either of you are so enthusiastic about giving away your money...then i will PM you my address and you can start sending monthly checks.....i would prefer large amounts

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

if either of you are so enthusiastic about giving away your money...then i will PM you my address and you can start sending monthly checks.....i would prefer large amounts

Corporate sponsors yes, taxpayers as sponsors.....FUCK NO!!!!