The best topic

Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Someone let me know...

Started by Obvious Li, March 16, 2014, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Renee

Quote from: "Real Woman"Renee, so that you can stop embarrassing yourself: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp">http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

You took a cheap shot joke and researched it???? Talk about embarrassing yourself.

Your meds making you loopy again or are you just that bored?  :lol:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Some jokes just make you look like a knuckle dragger.  I thought I'd help you not make that one again.

My meds are fine but I'm pretty wiped out.  I'm trying really hard to keep the bitchiness down to a minimum.  You should try it sometime.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "Real Woman"Some jokes just make you look like a knuckle dragger.  I thought I'd help you not make that one again.

My meds are fine but I'm pretty wiped out.  I'm trying really hard to keep the bitchiness down to a minimum.  You should try it sometime.

Well excuse me little Miss nose in the air.  

As far as keeping the bitchiness down to a minimum goes, you're doing a shit job.  :lol:

BTW, The Snopps article makes a rather fuzzy distinction between what Gore said and what he didn't say. It's little more than double speak.

"Although Vice-President Gore's phrasing might have been a bit clumsy (and perhaps self-serving), he was not claiming that he "invented" the Internet in the sense of having designed or implemented it, but rather that he was responsible, in an economic and legislative sense, for fostering the development the technology that we now know as the Internet."

In other words Gore isn't responsible for inventing the technology behind the internet but he claims to be responsible legislatively for the development of the technology that makes the internet possible. Minor nitpicking difference.   :lol:

In hindsight I should have said "responsible for the internet" because maybe it would have saved you the trouble of having to be a bitch.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Odinson

Romero

Gore never said he was "responsible for the internet" either.

QuoteDespite the derisive references that continue even today, former Vice-President Al Gore never claimed that he "invented" the Internet, nor did he say anything that could reasonably be interpreted that way. To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the "invention" of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign.

If President Eisenhower had said in the mid-1960s that he, while president, "took the initiative in creating the Interstate Highway System," he would not have been the subject of dozens and dozens of editorials lampooning him for claiming he "invented" the concept of highways or implying that he personally went out and dug ditches across the country to help build the roadway. Everyone would have understood that Ike meant he was a driving force behind the legislation that created the highway system, and this was the very same concept Al Gore was expressing about himself with his Internet statement.

A spirited defense of Gore's statement penned by Internet pioneers Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf (the latter often referred to as the "father of the Internet") in 2000 noted that "Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development" and that "No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution [to the Internet] over a longer period of time".

In May 2005, the organizers of the Webby Awards for online achievements honored Al Gore with a lifetime achievement award for three decades of contributions to the Internet. "He is indeed due some thanks and consideration for his early contributions," said Vint Cerf.

So he simply said that he took initiative, which he did, and it foolishly got turned into "Al Gore claims he invented the internet".

Anonymous

Here's exactly what Gore said "I took the intiative in creating the internet".

Odinson

Using interstate highways as a comparison is fucking low IQ stupidity.

Renee

It's rather funny that Al Gore himself can joke about his connection to the effort to create the internet but when someone else does it liberals around here go ape shit.  :lol:

"Even Gore himself participates in the merriment: in a recent episode of Leno's Tonight Show, Vice President Al Gore was seen holding the cue cards. The joke? "Al Gore invented cue cards" - a clear reference to Gore's supposed claim about the invention of the Internet. In his September 26, 2000 town hall meeting held as part of MTV's "Choose or Lose" series before a group of students at the Media Union at the University of Michigan, Gore joked, "I invented the environment." The students erupted in laughter. Gore is at once the object and progenitor of the humor."

See the link (and read it) to see what he is actually responsible for.

http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/799/708">http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm ... ew/799/708">http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/799/708

The truth of the matter is most of what he is credited with in support of the internet is the sponsorship of bills requiring the use of a high speed national computer network and not the actual network itself.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"It's rather funny that Al Gore himself can joke about his connection to the effort to create the internet but when someone else does it liberals around here go ape shit.  :lol:

"Even Gore himself participates in the merriment: in a recent episode of Leno's Tonight Show, Vice President Al Gore was seen holding the cue cards. The joke? "Al Gore invented cue cards" - a clear reference to Gore's supposed claim about the invention of the Internet. In his September 26, 2000 town hall meeting held as part of MTV's "Choose or Lose" series before a group of students at the Media Union at the University of Michigan, Gore joked, "I invented the environment." The students erupted in laughter. Gore is at once the object and progenitor of the humor."

See the link (and read it) to see what he is actually responsible for.

http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/799/708">http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm ... ew/799/708">http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/799/708

The truth of the matter is most of what he is credited with in support of the internet is the sponsorship of bills requiring the use of a high speed national computer network and not the actual network itself.

If I was a lefty, I would be embarrassed by Al Gore. He is a greedy, disingenuous capitalist.

Renee

Quote from: "Odinson"Using interstate highways as a comparison is fucking low IQ stupidity.

His father was one of the senators who worked on the bill that created the US highway system during the Eisenhower Admin.

He got the idea for the analogy from his dads work. He doesn't have enough original thought in his head to come up something like that by himself. :lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Odinson"Using interstate highways as a comparison is fucking low IQ stupidity.

His father was one of the senators who worked on the bill that created the US highway system during the Eisenhower Admin.

He got the idea for the analogy from his dads work. He doesn't have enough original thought in his head to come up something like that by himself.

US politicians are notorious for taking credit for things they had almost nothing to do with, but Gore takes exaggeration to a whole new level.

Odinson

He got the idea for the analogy from his dads work. He doesn't have enough original thought in his head to come up something like that by himself.

The net existed prior to Al Gores "initiative"...

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"

US politicians are notorious for taking credit for things they had almost nothing to do with, but Gore takes exaggeration to a whole new level.

Yes they do but apparently around here you become a "knuckle dragger" if you have a little fun with it. :D

Anonymous

Yes they do but apparently around here you become a "knuckle dragger" if you have a little fun with it. :D

Yeah, that seemed a bit odd.

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Yeah, that seemed a bit odd.

Did it really?

I wasn't totally surprised.